Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | Solarcon I-MAX 2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Solarcon I-MAX 2000
Solarcon I-MAX 2000 Reviews: 105 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $80 SHIPPED
Description: 3 piece, over 21 foot tall fiberglass 10 meter base antenna

You can write your own review of the Solarcon I-MAX 2000.

W8KQE Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2011 13:46 Send this review to a friend
GREAT no-radial ant for 10 and 15m!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna in operation for years now, and it has withstood the test of time. I've been using it all day today (and a bit yesterday) during the DX contest on 10 and 15 meters, and i'm working tons of DX stations 'barefoot'. There is a good opening on 10 today (finally!), and I worked Spain, Portugal, the Canary Islands, and legions of South American and Caribbean stations, usually on first call. Ditto for 15m, except the openings there today have been geographically wider, and i've worked into the Soviet Union, Poland, Germany, Sweden, and Nigeria. Last night, I worked Japan, Guam, and Hawaii on 15 as well. Don't listen to the naysayers. My SWR on 10 and 15 is flat across the bands, once you adjust the tuning rings properly. It really doesn't matter if this is a so called 'CB antenna'. Labels are ridiculous and assinine. Your transmitted (and received) signals don't discriminate when using this antenna. For an inexpensive, easy and fast, radial-free solution, this antenna works and works well on at least the 2 bands mentioned!

W5TTW Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2011 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have mine at 40' (to feed-point) in a tree and I work the world. (I also have the ground kit.) After painting it with some flat camo paint, it's invisible to the HOA taliban. It works like a champ on 10, 11 and 15.

It's worth twice the price and I have to wonder if the negative comments come from people that actually own one.

KC2UPE Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2010 16:01 Send this review to a friend
A great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the imax for about 6 yrs and just last week it finally brooke.(tear shedded) But I will get another one again. The responce of this far exceeded what i expected. It tunes easily and I had no problem getting it to tune on 6m. I am using an ldg at-200pro with my 897d. I am going to the "cb" shop to get another one. I laugh that is is labeled CB antenna when it out performs most ham antenna's. And ya cant beat the 100 price. I give this 5 stars and i have to go before the store closes. I am getting the radial kit this time. Whats an extra 50 bucks for the performance. BUY THIS ANTENNA!

KC9QVD Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2010 22:13 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used my Imax 2000 for 5 years before I was a ham on 11 meters worked great!! About a year ago I got my ham licens and got rid of my 11 meter radio stuff and recently got a used Icom 707 from a friend and I hooked it up to the old Imax 2000 at 32 feet on my tower and I have been running 10 meters when it is up. I get mostly 59 signal reports even on out of country qso!! I'm only running 100 wats out the back of the radio! I have ran the same radio on a g5rv and didnt get near the results!! for the best results on 10 meters use the Imax 2000!!! What more can I say!!

DH4AAD Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2010 10:21 Send this review to a friend
Solarcon Imax 2000 simply the best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Maybe it sounds unusal: But I prefer this aerial of Solarcon Imax 2000 mostly because its very great ability not to suffer from heavy storms and heavy rain day after day. It is really an all weather aerial. + Well, I love HAM radio's ten meters range more than any other range and I do appreciate very much that I can use this omnidirectional 5/8-wave aerial in the center of activities about 28,500 mc/s as well as on HAM's local area networks of 28,780 mc/s and 29,530 mc/s without any problems. + This aerial made for frequencies between 25 and 30 mc/s is my favourite monoband vertical antenna. + And you can use a pa and go to German rf legal limit of power, p = 750 Watts pep, and Solarcon will do very well. + I enjoy and say concrats to the engineering team who designed this very nice playmate. + 55 es 73 de Rainer, op: Ray, Hannover, GERMANY +++

KB6HRT Rating: 4/5 May 9, 2010 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For around $100.00 the I-Max 2000 is a Great value, because it will work the 28500 to 24930 without a tuner, an with a tuner that comes in my ICOM 756PRO3 will do 15-17 an 20 m but is down from a dipole on 20m. Now that is a ( GREAT VALUE!)...............KB6HRT

K3DAV Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2010 23:17 Send this review to a friend
Update for a great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a Comet CHA250B HF vertical for 10 through 80 meters. It works very well on 80 through 20 meters. But it starts to drop off slowly on 17 through 10 meters. So I decided to get an I-MAX 2000 on the advice of many friends and reviews here on eham. So far it is a superior antenna on 17 through 10 meters.

My radio is an Icom 746PRO, a Heil PR 30 mic, a W2IHY 8 band EQ, and no external power. So all contacts are with only 100 watts. The feedline is LMR-400. The I-MAX is on top of 10' of pole, and that is on top of a roof about 12 feet from the ground. So the bottom of the I-MAX 2000 is about 22 feet off the ground. And I am near Harrisburg, PA.

I have had the I-MAX 2000 for over a year now, and I can not be more happy with it. I talked to my buddy 20 miles away on 28.990 USB, an S-5 on the HF vertical, and 10dB on the I-MAX. I talked to a W5 station in Texas on 17M. I told him I was testing out the new I-Max, and wanted to know how it was doing. He said I was about an S-9 sometimes hitting the 10dB mark. While I was keyed up I switched to the HF vertical for a few seconds, then back to the I-MAX, then unkeyed. He said switching to the HF vertical dropped me to his noise level of S-4, then back up to the S-9 on the I-MAX.

I have made contacts on 15M and 17M to Cuba, Spain, and the U.K. with great reports. I talked to a ham in the Faulkland Islands on 15M with a 10dB signal. I guess the I-MAX has proved itself to be a very good antenna.

I have also talked all over on 10M SSB. I even made several 10M FM simplex contacts from around the country and into Canada. Usually with 10 to 20dB signals on 100 watts. The I-MAX 2000 and 10M are a perfect match.

On 17 through 10 meters, the I-MAX 2000 out performs most multi-band HF verticals. I know hams with Titans, Comets, Hy Gains and other HF verticals, that got an I-MAX 2000 because it was better for upper HF bands.

I did not install the ground plane kit. Using the ground plane kit detunes the antenna for 17 and 15M, and works poorly on those bands. Instead, I made a choke coil with the coax just under the antenna feed point. And with the choke coil, the difference on 12, through 10 meters, with or without the kit, is not noticeable. So to help 15 and 17 meters, I left the ground kit off.

On the lower HF bands,(20M and below) the I-MAX is okay but weak for Rec, and not useable at all for TX. But for 17 meters and above, it is a superior antenna indeed.

SWR readings using an MFJ-269 Analyzer and 55 feet of LMR-400.
20M .....10.0:1---NOT USEABLE.
17M .....2.7:1.....75 OHMS
15M .....1.9:1.....40 OHMS
12M .....1.4:1.....47 OHMS
11-10M - 26.0 to 29.7MHz... 1.1 to 1.4...50 OHMS
6M .....10.0:1---NOT USEABLE

With the auto-tuner on, 17, 15, 12, and 10 meters are 1.1:1, and work very very well. No TVI or RF problems with stereos, or phones.

If anyone has a problem with an I-MAX 2000, check the coax and all connections, or send it back for a replacement, or you are just expecting way too much. This antenna is top quality and performance for under $100. You won't be sorry.

KB9OJS Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2010 23:33 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for 17m-6m  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased my IMAX 2000 approx. one year ago. I have owned the A99 that I purchased new for 8 years, and after three coats of Olive Drab Krylon paint, it looks as good as it works. I had decided based on my experience with the A99, that I would give the IMAX 2000 a shot. This antenna blew me away from the time I first used it. Initally I sat the antenna up on an eight foot Aluminum pipe attached to my galvanized chain link fence. Using my Palstar AT1500DT connected to my FT-857D, my first contact was on 20 meters to VE6AO. Power was only 50 watts. I currently have the antenna in the same location, only mounted at 20 feet. I also have a 1.5:1 swr from 15 meters clear to 10 meters, no tuner needed. The antenna is also easy to assemble and the entire antenna is ready to go in less that 5 minutes.

I just bought a brand new RCI-2950DX and managed to work guatemala, puerto rico and the us virgin islands using only 15 watts and a 9ah black and decker start it jump pack. All smiles here:)

John, KB9OJS

ON4XA Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2010 14:10 Send this review to a friend
simply and perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi all, it's now 1 year I have mine, without radial kit, on 9m of the ground. It's a great vertical antenna. I use it without tuning from 18 to 30MHz. I have to tune on 20m. It's solid, great quality. I putted the full power of my Acom HF+6 on 24 and 28MHz. Without any problem. And no TVI or other perturbation. Simply perfect. Hopefully that Solarcon will construct something like this for 40m :-) 73's Xavier

M6GOM Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2010 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Great vertical for 15m  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had one for a couple of years now Well, not true - I've had THIS one for a couple of years, having owned one before in the early 90's before getting fed up and leaving CB. I finally became a ham in summer of 2009 and decided to try my Imax 2000 out as I'd read it was resonant on some of the bands. Tunes great on 10,11,12,15 meters without the need for an ATU. In the last CQWPX contest, it was my antenna for 15 meters. Mounted on a tripod speaker stand with the base 5ft off the floor, I worked as far as Argentina with just 50W. A couple of QSOs into Brazil and Peru commented on how strong my signal was. Worked into Asia and Libya in the other direction. All of this from a CB antenna not even designed for 15m and just chucked up quickly in the garden on a tripod.