Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna
Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna Reviews: 159 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $150.
Description: Covers 40 thru 6 Meters. Will cover 80 Meters with accesory coil MP-80. Capable of QRP thru 150 Watts. Coil Size 10.5x 1.25 inches.
More info: http://newsuperantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Super Antennas MP-1 Portable Antenna.

K6BSR Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2019 22:37 Send this review to a friend
First impression is quite good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received this antenna on Monday and so far I'm pleased. It arrived in an approximately 10x10x4 box and only weighed about two pounds. I got it set up in my backyard yesterday and the super spike came in quite handy for ground mounting it. I only made a handful of contacts running QRP 5 watts and even made a contact into Central Texas on 40 meters. I intend to ultimately use it in pedestrian portable configuration and may even press a drag wire counterpoise into service for my QRP forays. As I just got this antenna I won't delve into the finer details yet, but my first impression is quite positive.

KA4VNM Rating: 4/5 Apr 29, 2019 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Good starting point  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased an original MP1 off Ebay for a good price. I had been looking at new but the price was to much to spend for an experiment. What I did discover is it tunes very fast with an analyzer (IP30) and performs moderately well in the back yard. When I say starting point, I changed the original whip out to a standard Buddipole whip things got better, a Buddipole long whip really makes it shine.It also becomes a bit broader and easier to tune. Keeping it upright in wind is best accomplished by driving a short piece of mast into the ground and using the universal mount U clamp. Mine has the old multi conductor wire which provides, 4 nice to pack, radials and good tuning across each band. I have used both with my Xiegu 5105 and my KX3 with good results. If you are willing to mod it a bit its a better than good compromise antenna for field work. Out of the box it works as advertised if mounted in a free space like a beach or field or a mountain top.

M0VHC Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2019 09:01 Send this review to a friend
wow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Used this antenna portable from the north east coast of England, it has performed very well, first time out with it worked west coast usa ,north and south Africa then to top it all worked vk on 40m
second time out at the same location worked Hawaiian islands, to say I am impressed would be an understatement
very quick and easy to set up and tune.

WY7AC Rating: 3/5 Mar 30, 2019 18:56 Send this review to a friend
4 star   Time owned: more than 12 months
Tripod never worked right straight out of the box, threads were jacked, and NEVER use it mobile unless you Loctite the screws first! You WILL lose some coil screws. Other than that it's an "ok" aerial. Not in the same class as the Wolf River SB1000 coil, but much more packable & kayakable.

KB1TCD Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2019 21:24 Send this review to a friend
Great for portable use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought it from a buddy of mine who hardly ever used it. Came w/80m coil, small tripod and railing/picknick table mount.
Didnít come w/radial set so I did some research...You donít need a radial set, a single counterpoise per band you are using will do. Cut one for 20m and one for 40m. Played w/length of counterpoise on 20m for a few minutes till I got it right. 1.1:1 SWR. I had 40 ft of wire meaning I had 26 ft left after making 20m counterpoise so I just went for it. Under 1.5:1 SWR on 40m. Set up Yaesu FT-897D on the back deck where the antenna was also located. Called CQ on 20m and got a station from IN (Iím in ME). Next to 40m called CQ and got a station from PA.
Taking MP1 on holiday to Costa Rica in a week and a half to use w/Kenwood TS-480 which is my mobile rig...
I would not use it as my baser antenna but for portable work itís fine. I used the antenna about 8 years ago w/friend I bought it from portable at a park in Augusta ME and got a station in Greece, so DXing not a problem.

W5MIL Rating: 3/5 Feb 12, 2019 01:59 Send this review to a friend
Only Works In The Open  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It only works in VERY open areas. It does not work indoors or on a balcony. I gave it a 3 because it does work in the open...in perfect conditions and the radials have to be spaced perfectly. For me, it was a waste of cash I could have spent on a good endfed or dipole.
If you contact their customer support, prepare to be ignored.

2M0AYZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2019 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Very good for QRP portable.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the latest version, with the big tripod, radials etc.

I was surprised by how small the whole system packs down to. It really is very portable, and light enough to walk into the hills with. The overall build quality is very good. Nothing is likely to break or fail. I use it with an extra extension arm to give more height.,

It tunes up very easily by use of the swr ruler. I've had no high SWR problems at all.

Have had numerous contacts using my Xiegu X5105 and this antenna.

All in all a quality product which will last for years, unless abused.

KG6TR Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2018 18:21 Send this review to a friend
it is what it is  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Don't expect miracles - it is a nice setup for what it is. What I like is that everything packs up small and light for SOTA activations. What I don't like is that I have very little luck so far running a KX2 with it. At home the Buddipole setup as a vertical with 2 counterpoise beats the MP-1, but admittedly it is a much larger setup.

It is pretty easy to setup and tune with an analyzer. I can be up and running in less than 5 min. It will cover pretty much all bands though you have to retune every time and it isn't particularly efficient. If your expectations are properly managed you'll be happy with the antenna. If you go in thinking it is going to equal a bigger/heavier setup, you likely won't be impressed.

I compared it directly with a HyEnd multi-band set up as a sloper and the HyEnd won. I will say that if you don't have a tree around then the HyEnd becomes problematic while the MP-1 with the tripod will deploy anywhere. I have a Chameleon MPAS coming that I'll compare as well and at some point I'll pare down to maybe two portable antenna systems. I suspect the Chameleon will edge out the MP-1 but time will tell.

K7EXJ Rating: 4/5 Jun 6, 2017 08:59 Send this review to a friend
Updated Review after 18 Months  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's been almost two years since I bought the MP-1 and I have some further comments.

The MP-1 loves being mounted onto a large metal mass. I usually use it clamped to the steel bumper of my Jeep Wrangler and it's very happy there. It also loves being mounted to my chain-link fence in town. Doesn't like wood all that much.

The MP-1 also seems to prefer wide open areas; preferably next to a body of water. I have attributed this to its low angle of radiation where buildings and even trees can be an issue.

The 40/30/20 meter radials also work well on 15m.

The clamp is so good I bought a second one so I can use the MP-1 easier in the back yard.

Best DX is 7100 miles on 15M in heavy QSB from the Jeep using 5-watts CW parked at the northeast corner of a very large reservoir on sandy soil.

The only time I've been "skunked" (no QSO at all) was when I set the MP-1 up in my mother-in-law's mobile home park on a wood fence. This antenna likes being in the clear, up high, and/or near water!!!

Not the cheapest antenna but for any ops where there is nothing to hang a sloper or EFHW this is simple, quick, and multi-band.

WA2ZQX Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2017 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: more than 12 months

Have worked 63-DX entities with the MP1 Antenna in the past 15 months, which I am thrilled about considering current band conditions. My QTH is a few feet above sea level, sandy soil, high winds and adjacent to water. Operate with 22-ground radials and a good antenna tuner...40 through 6-meters. Transmit power 100 or 300 watts. Piece of cake to transport and set up. Yes, tuning is critical but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it...provided you own an SWR meter! I would recommend the titanium whip...less wind resistance. At home QTH I elevate the antenna base 6-feet above ground on a tripod and adjustable mast, weighted with bricks. No mechanical issues except I used ring terminals and stainless hardware to affix my radials...didn't care for their quick disconnect connectors and finger lugs on the base...couldn't connect all my radials! Own two MP1's and would like to see Super Antenna produce a similar product that could handle 1-KW.