Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Acom 1200 s Help

Reviews Summary for Acom 1200 s
Acom 1200 s Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $3,749.99
Description: ACOM 1200S Solid State HF + 6 Meter Amplifier

ACOM 1200S Solid State HF + 6 Meter Amplifiers cover the amateur bands from 1.8 through 54MHz. They provide 1000W output power (PEP or continuous carrier) with less than 50W of drive. Their operating parameters are shown on a multi-function high-resolution color display.
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com

You can write your own review of the Acom 1200 s.

N3FAA Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2019 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful Design. Great Performer!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This amp is absolutely gorgeous. The design makes it look like a really nice audio system component or such. It's big, and heavy (larger than I anticipated), but looks beautiful sitting on the desk.

Performance on 120v is 600-700w max. 240 gives an easy 1200w with about 20-25w drive. I usually keep it at around 15-17w drive for 1000w out, and it does it comfortably and quietly all day long, regardless of mode. I have yet to see the fan go above the 2nd notch, and even when running the fan test, full fan isn't that loud.

Great amp!

KD0UYF Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2019 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned this amp for a few weeks now, and it is absolutely amazing! Looks beautiful and feels solid. Not light, but not too heavy. Full power with 240 volts, and even though the manual states 500 watts with 120 volts, I had no problems exceeding that.

Full rated power on all bands with 30-40 watts of drive. Most bands will do 1200 watts with no problem.

I have heard nothing but great things about the quality of my audio while using this amp. You can talk all day and never hear a fan speed up. When running digital and they do speed up, they're still not bothersome. There are 4 fan speeds, I haven't gotten past the first 2.

I like the layout of the screen, and the menus are very easy to navigate. Perhaps future firmware will add more options, but for now, I knew what I was getting and am completely satisfied.

I haven't had any problems with the protection circuitry being too sensitive, but perhaps my tuner and antenna are to thank for that. The only "alarm" its given me so far is for forgetting to change the band.

The customer service is great. I emailed them with a quick question, and had a response back from Val within hours.

For what its worth, i am using this with an Icom 7300, LDG AT-1000PROII, and a Myantennas EFHW-8010.

Obviously this is a "first impression" review, and ill come back in a few months and update it, but for now, this amp is an 11 out of 10!

W2JKT Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2019 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Incredible Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this amp for a few months now and I LOVE IT. It is so well-made and you can tell they put a lot of effort into the aesthetics, but that's just the beginning. This amp is as feature rich as you want it to be, but is also perfectly happy being used like a simple PTT amp. RF wise it's very solid and I get great signal reports all the time. No ALC feedback is required, and indeed there is not even an output for it. It only takes a key input and coax if that's what you have.

I have mine paired with a Palstar AT2K and TS-590SG, but you can also get the companion 04AT remote auto tuner, which is driven by the amp seamlessly.

I really can't sing my praises of this amp well enough. Just get one. You won't regret it at all.

OT4A Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2019 10:10 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been looking quite sometime for a good smaller backup amp. to stand beside my major amplifier (OM 4000HF).
So i decided for a transistor amp.(first time i ever owned one).
Glad i made a good choise,very well build, gives easy his power, and its very quite.
No issues at all so far !
Works like it schould do.
Cul OT4A

SM5TAO Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2018 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Initial impressions and tests:
Received the 1200s together with 04AT last week.
My configuration is TS-990S + 1200S + 04AT.
The 1200S performs exactly or better than expected, very solid and very well build. Packaging were excellent.
Using cat control tuning process on a segment of a band is very fast , it executes cat commands which sets the amplifier in standby mode, the exciter in CW mode and transmits a tone to tune the tuner using the maximum allowed power output from the exciter (smart function!) .
The amplifier and the ATU tracks the exciter for every segment within each band.
User interface is great, lot of parameters to set and monitor for both the amplifier and the tuner, logs etc... Display is sharp and clear, meters are responsive and very fast.
Very fast protection circuits in case of configuration errors.
Fan noise very low even in high power.
Output power is 1kw(+) without any problem.
Best amplifier I have ever owned! Great job Acom on this product!

N4MIT Rating: 1/5 May 5, 2018 19:52 Send this review to a friend
1200s revisited  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mine has been back at the factory (Bulgaria) for a couple weeks now. After having so many problems and it finally letting the smoke out of a 50 ohm 250w resistor while testing into my dummy load. It was recalled to Bulgaria for post mortem and repair/updates.

I started having low output on some bands but not all. After many emails back and forth to Bulgaria and making videos of it in operation, it gave up the smoke. The tuner never did operate like it should have.

So I have spent $4700 on an amp and tuner that has spent more time in transit and repair than it has on my desk. I was afraid of this very scenario when I purchased it. Now my nightmare has come true.

Even if it is repaired I'm not sure that I will keep it, as I have lost faith in its longevity. Will I be sending it back on another world tour for the next repair? How many times do I have to pay shipping before it supersedes the value of the amp? Just what is the warranty? There is no mention of it in the manual or the website.

I'm very disappointed

K3VAT Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2018 22:53 Send this review to a friend
Update - Now working on all bands  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In late March I posted below my review of the ACOM 1200S.

Since then I've replace the my vertical antenna that was giving intermittent problems on 30M, and installed new coax on the dipole antenna. Now I'm able to consistently output full power on all HF bands!

The only issue that remains, but not a big deal for me, is that I need to get the CAT working between the ACOM and the transceiver.

Over the past month I've made nearly 1,000 QSOs and the amplifier has performed excellently. Thanks to Val from ACOM who worked with me on the antenna problem.

73, Rich, K3VAT

K8HSY Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2018 17:10 Send this review to a friend
The Best Amp I've Ever Owned!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Here is my set-up: Kenwood TS-590sg drives the ACOM 1200s; only 30 watts drive from the 590sg is needed to get full output from the amp on all bands. I also use a Palstar HF-Auto automatic antenna tuner which keeps the SWR low to the amplifier. I use a W5GI Mystery Antenna on 80/75 throu 10 meters. The amp has performed perfectly for me with not even a hint of any problems. It is extremely solid, and very well built. I always place the ACOM 1200s in standby when I tune-up the TS-590sg and always tune using only 5 or 10 watts. The HF-Auto tunes for minimum SWR automatically, and when it is finished tuning, I switch the amp into operate. The amp tracks my transceiver whenever I switch bands. I have owned several amps over my 61 years of being a ham, including an Alpha, and without any doubt, this ACOM 1200s is the best amp I have ever owned and operated. I might add that I am also totally blind and rely entirely on my ears to tell me what my gear is doing. My TS-590sg talks and beeps every function and menu setting; the ACOM gives me CW feedback, and the Palstar tuner is fully automatic. I had sighted assistance when I first set-up my amp to make sure I followed the suggested procedure and that all of the meter readings were within the parameters shown in the manual. Once it was set-up and checked out, it has performed flawlessly. I would rate this amp a 10 out of 5 if I could!

WV4M Rating: 3/5 Mar 27, 2018 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Too early to tell - may still have a few bugs to work out  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an update from my initial review. To begin with, here are some pros and cons I have from my perspective:

Pros:

- Overall nice look and feel to the amplifier with good menus and displays.
- Only requires the hookup of a relay line and input and output coax as a minimum; auto senses band change. Works with CAT for more control.
- Voltage input is auto sensing and does not require changing taps or switches.
- Cooling fan is not excessively noisy.
- Has many protect features that put the linear into standby and tell you what went wrong on the display (but maybe too sensitive in my opinion)
- Fairly light weight for a 1KW class linear.
- Two year warranty.

Cons:

- Protect circuity trips too early and excessively. I have trouble running the linear at 1KW without the linear tripping out even with low SWR. I now run no more than 950 watts to prevent this from happening.
- I noticed a very small clearance between some components and the case. In once case only about 2-3mm of clearance. This issue caused me to return the linear to the dealer initially for their opinion and testing. I initially thought there could be a short circuit between the components and the case.
- Only one antenna output.
- No QSK
- Power seems to sag a bit, about 25-50 watts dropoff under load after a few seconds to minute.
- No built in antenna tuner.

Overall first impression: I was less than happy with the linear in general. I had always heard good reports about Acom linears, but unfortunately I did not have this experience. I am hoping my 3700 dollar investment works out in the long run.