Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Wolf River Coils TIA Help

Reviews Summary for Wolf River Coils TIA
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $130.00
Description: Wolf River Coils Take It Anywhere (TIA) is a portable HF
vertical with tripod and collapsible 11.5' whip. Comes with
3 33' radials.
More info: http://www.wolfrivercoils.com/TIA.html

You can write your own review of the Wolf River Coils TIA.

KC1TV Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2018 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Value Works Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Finally a Portable antenna designed by hams for a great price. The design is surprisingly robust for the cost and the entire antenna works really well. Shipping was extremely fast and results so far have been fantastic! It's really refreshing to find a good portable vertical that is easy to set up and has a simple design. The key here is the design, it's simple with few moving parts and the parts are well made and should last a long time. Having only a few parts makes set up a breeze and less chance of failure. Didn't take very long for me to become a big fan after setting up and using the antenna a few times. Did I mention how inexpensive this antenna is? Don't let the low price fool you, just be happy they're not charging for performance! If your looking for a portable vertical do yourself a favor and put Wolf River Coils on your list, you won't be disappointed

WY7CDL Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2018 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had the Wolf River Coils - TIA for a few months now… Have not gotten to use it a lot but what I have been able to use it it has performed FLAWLESS.

The one downside is you really need an analyzer to set this antenna up quickly. I use my Rig Expert AA-54 and tuning is very quick.

The coil is robust and built well, the Tripod is excellent. Plan on adding the Dual Tuning option as well as some more radials. But even with the 3 provided every setup I have been able to tune 1.4 swr or BETTER. Bandwidth can be a touch narrow on the 80m band but I totally expected that.

This little gem is priced amazingly well and it WORKS. I have since sold the buiddipole that I had. Too much fiddling about with that thing.

Plan on adding a second one to my setup for a backup and use at ARES/Races events and so on.

N6DZK Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2018 14:44 Send this review to a friend
My new go-to for Portable HF Operation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Our local group started messing with portable antennas and we have done a few "shoot-outs" with various systems, the WRC, Budipole, Transworld, dipoles, Chameleon, and Alpha. While some of the more expensive solutions have performed well, nothing has been the biggest bang for the buck than the Wolf River Coils TIA.

The TIA is the WRC Silver Bullet coil with a compact tripod, 11.5' collapsible whip, and 3 33' radials. The antenna does require some sort of analyzer to allow you to tune the coil for the band on which you wish to operate. I use a KVE-60C (which I am pretty sure became the MFJ-223), with color screen, to very quickly get the coil dialed in on the band I want to use. With the 3 radials provided I was able to get about 1.7:1 or less across the entire portion of the band I wanted to operate on (phone or RTTY). Adding 3 more radials gets you down to 1.3-1.5:1.

You click the coil up or down to get into the band, and then twist up or down to get it dialed in to exactly where you want it. Once you have done it a couple of times, as long as you are familiar with how your analyzer works, it only takes a couple of minutes. They also offer a dual collar accessory that allows you to dial in 2 bands at the same time, and then use a jumper to switch between them. This way you could tune 20/40 or 40/80 and quickly jump between bands. It is a little trickier to tune, but again, with a little practice, it is pretty easy to do.

I like to operate portable. My FT-991 is always in a go-box. I take it camping regularly and operate from battery/solar. I don't even take an AC power supply. Current propagation conditions are less than ideal, and in the last few weeks (I have only had the WRC TIA for about a month), from California, I have made contacts across the US, to Asiatic Russia, Japan, and even Poland. My first contacts to all three of those DX locations were first contacts for me even though I have a fan dipole on my home about 25' in the air. Yet with the WRC TIA I was able to make those contacts in the field on battery power.

Customer service has been great. I have had contact with Gary at least a couple of times and he answered all my questions and they have responded to emails quickly.

At $130 (About $150 out the door) I don't see how you could find a better value in a portable vertical.

A few of things to consider:
1. It is an exposed coil, not sealed like a Chameleon, or Alpha. So using in wet conditions could impact tuning.
2. The power handling is fine but... If you try to run 100 watts on FT-8 you will burn up the coil (We know this because it has already happened to one of our group here). There is a review for the Silver Bullet elsewhere on eham that gives the coil a 0/5 because the reviewer ran a 600 watt amplifier through the coil. The site clearly states the rating of 300 watts on SSB, 150 watts CW, but we clearly missed the part about 80 watts for digital (oops).
3. Some of our group has added the MFJ-1979 16.5' stainless steel collapsible whip. This makes the system resonant on 20M out of the box and adds about 5' of vertical radiator. Anything below 20M you will probably need to collapse the whip (15, 12, 10).
4. Keeping 33' radials untangled sucks. We use kite string winders from that *longestriver*.com website.
5. There is a great review of the WRC TIA in the July 2017 QST from the ham that won the National Parks On The Air contest.

I have previously used a Transworld 2010. It works really well on 20M. But I am often busy with scouts during the day on my outings so I really wanted something to get onto 40M/80M in the evenings. The Transworld was good because it does not need radials which can be problematic in a camp site. But so far I have managed to make the WRC with the 33' radials work where I have been.

I highly recommend the Wolf River Coils TIA (Take It Anywhere).