Reviews Categories | Ham radio kits | ZZRX-40 40 meter Receiver from 4-State QRP Group Help

Reviews Summary for ZZRX-40 40 meter Receiver from 4-State QRP Group
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$51.80
Description: 40 meter direct conversion receiver kit.
More info: http://www.4sqrp.com/zzrx40.php

You can write your own review of the ZZRX-40 40 meter Receiver from 4-State QRP Group.

KU4UV Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2018 17:36 Send this review to a friend
Great little 40 meter receiver kit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently completed building the ZZRX-40 kit. The kit took around 4-5 hours of total build time, including putting the finished case together. I wanted a 40 meter receiver that I can take out in the field with me when I go camping, without having to use a shortwave receiver. I like to use a transmitter/receiver combo, so the ZZRX-40 works fine for my needs. The kit can be built as a 40 meter crystal-controlled receiver, or you can use the VFO. The kit comes with a crystal for 7.030, but I chose to add a 7.040 crystal instead, and it works fine. If you chose to use the VFO instead, you have to adjust a small tuning capacitor, using either a frequency counter or a separate receiver to listen for the local oscillator frequency of the kit.

The kit isn't too difficult to build, but I recommend that first-time kit builders get some assistance from a more experienced builder. The most difficult part of the kit that I found was assembling the shims for the LED, and volume and tuning potentiometers. While not too difficult, it could be easy to short the pins of the potentiometers to the board if care is not taken. I recommend taking your time, and checking your solder connections thoroughly and you should be fine. Also, a fine-tipped soldering iron and magnifying glass or loupe helps. Some of the identifying marks on the capacitors and diodes can be hard to read, so a magnifying glass or loupe helps in reading the values as well. The only thing about the kit that I wish it had was a separate switch to choose between the VFO and crystal, and maybe another slot for selecting a second frequency crystal. These can of course be added by the builder after the kit is completed, so it's not a deal-breaker by any stretch. This is a great kit, and I highly recommend it!