Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Realistic Patrolman-9 Help

- 470Mhz. Fine Tuning,
BFO, S-Meter, Dual Whip
Antennas and External
Antenna Jack.

You can write your own review of the Realistic Patrolman-9.

KC6KNL Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2018 21:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Gen coverage Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one in 1975 when I was 13. It was the springboard that got me into scanners.

With the built in VHF and UHF antennas, I used to listen to the Police and Fire Departments in San Francisco on VHF and UHF frequencies. The sound quality was great. Great audio tone through the built in mono speaker.

I used to also listen to Shortwave broadcasts. This radio covered most of the frequencies from Longwave up to UHF.

One of the best multi band radios from radio shack.

KG7M Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2018 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Build Quality and Good Performance   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned two Patrolman-9s. First one was purchased new in 1975 for the then, large sum of $149.95. I used it mobile in a Dodge Van as my work took me on various routes up to 100 miles from my home in Portland. As the Patrolmans had a Motorola Jack it was simple to plug the van's existing antenna into the Patrolman-9. The radio performed very well enabling me to monitor City, County, and State Police agencies. Shortwave reception was fine provided I was stopped with the engine off. When not working I attempted to use the Patrolman-9 at home, connected to an outdoor antenna. Here is where I experienced problems with the receiver overloading and picking up images on the shortwave bands. I wound up returning the Patrolman-9 to Radio Shack. I exchanged it for a DX-160 receiver.
The second Patrolman-9 was purchased from eBay in used condition. I was pleasantly surprised that everything worked, including all 9 bands! Most used portables don't operate on half their bands. The Patrolman-9 is very sturdy and well built, in Japan, using high quality parts. Reception on the VHF and UHF bands is excellent. Sensitivity appears to be on the order of a couple microvolts on VHF/UHF. These radios are fairly selective and this is where the Fine Tuning helps a great deal. AM BCB performance is good, but nowhere along the lines of a GE Superadio or C Crane EP. Shortwave performance is fine for bandscanning and listening to (whats left of) higher power broadcasters. Just don't connect an outdoor antenna longer than about 20 feet. Overall a pleasant sounding Multiband portable of excellent build quality.