Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | W6LVP Magnetic Loop Receive Antenna - mobile version Help

Reviews Summary for W6LVP Magnetic Loop Receive Antenna - mobile version
W6LVP Magnetic Loop Receive Antenna - mobile version Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $385
Description: Complement to high-Q mobile transmit antenna.
- Reduces noise compared with noisy vertical
- QSY to any band or frequency without tuning or adjustment
- Includes T/R switch to work with rigs without a receive antenna input
More info: http://www.w6lvp.com

You can write your own review of the W6LVP Magnetic Loop Receive Antenna - mobile version.

KN4VV Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2018 10:20 Send this review to a friend
Works As Advertised!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was attracted to the W6LVP loop because of 1) its broadband, no tune design in contrast to my other loops (Chameleon F and AOR LA400) which require tuning and 2) its deployment versatility with the magnetic mount. Iím also fascinated by loop antennas for some reason (I think itís the capability in such a small form factor, given my space constraints and restrictions).

So far, I have not used it on the automobile, so I cannot report on the performance of the mount.

I have used it portable, at home. Compared to my other rx amplifiers, this amplifier seems not to add noise - sometimes I qsy to AM BCB to make sure the antenna is connected and on! - and keeping the noise low I think increases the intelligibility of signals. The rx capture compares well with my other loops, with local websdr portal, and area dx spots. Once I was able to just make out a station running on 14023 Ė the Baker Island dxpedition.

I now use it almost daily, primarily for casual scanning of frequency segments I otherwise likely would not, from the remaining SW broadcasters to 11 metersÖI even came across a Ďnumbersí station.

W6LVP was very responsive when ordering, ensuring that I selected the features best suited to my situation. The build quality, packaging, instruction pamphlet, and included accessories indicate that he gives attention to detail to provide a quality product.

Bottom line: the antenna performs as advertised, and Iím not sure what more one can expect from a product. I am pleased with my purchase and recommend it to anyone looking for a small but capable broadband rx antenna.

AE6GD Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2018 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Worked well in Field Day Enviornment  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the original version of the W6LVP loop receiving antenna for many months. It almost always out performs ( in receive ) the dipole / doublet antenna that I use for transmitting. On my TS-590 rig, I can instantly switch to the aux receive antenna. This makes comparison easy.

Preparing for this recent ARRL Field Day, I obtained the latest version of the preamplifier module from Larry. This version contains the optional low-pass and hi-pass filters.

Our Field day group, K6MEP, had 9 stations including VHF, UHF, and HF. Some strong broadcast stations are not far away, and to make it more ugly, the location is at a busy airport with communication towers all around. Noisy power lines are nearby also.

I figured that the Hi and LO filters would help prevent overload from other operators on VHF and power line noise. My loop antenna is mounted on a 10 foot mast on a pallet with a rotor. I placed it about 200 feet from the line of several HF dipoles used by the group. I worked 40 Meter CW during the day and had very good results. I was able to null the noise from the other operators by rotating the loop for best signal to noise ratio.

I noticed that during Field Day operation, I was hearing stations that would not answer me! Maybe my receiver setup, with loop antenna, was better than theirs?

The loop antenna stood up well on Field Day and is very highly recommended for all situations.

KE5GIN Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2018 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Innovative High Performing Mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used magnetic loops since Wellbrook first commercially manufactured them in the UK, I own several models including multiple W6LVP loops. A well designed Wideband Active loop will provide good performance and often rival full-size antennas rejecting local Man-made noise while delivering a good Signal to Noise Ratio in the process.

The Mobile W6LVP loop which is the focus of this review, is no exception, taking a Wideband loop mobile for the first time commercially to my knowledge. A very innovative approach while solving some mobile reception challenges in the process.

I am pleased with the mobile 2ft version, my favorite for mobile and use in my current Metro QTH. I find the smaller (2 ft) aperture provides a lower noise floor than any of my larger loops, while the signal level is almost the same as a large (3ft) loop, the lower noise floor yields a slightly better SNR in my situation. The 2ft mobile loop provided equal weak signal copies compared to the 3ft, surprising me in the process. Again, this may be due to the noisy Metro area I tested in.

Overall build quality is very sturdy, the magnet should be more than enough to keep things where they need to be while mobile. Watch your fingers, the magnet is rather strong.

I think many will be surprised by the performance of this loop. It is worth mentioning the well-designed optional TR switch allows you to choose which antenna to receive on with a switch flip, while also powering the Loop Amp from a 12v cigarette receptacle from one device, convienient.

Thanks for a great product and great Tek support Larry.

KF5GXZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2018 09:00 Send this review to a friend
I Love the new W6LVP Mobile magnetic loop receive antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using the W6LVP Mobile magnetic loop receive antenna for the past month now, and I can't believe how well it cuts out noise when I'm trying to work a weaker station. I run a old ICOM 706 in my truck with a Wolf River coil tuned for 75 meters. I've used the receive loop on multiple bands including 20, 40, 75, and 160. I also run a remote base station in Central Texas on Remote Hams.com and lately I have found that I can hear weak stations better in my mobile on the receive loop than I can on my 123 ft wire that is 45 AGL on the remote hams station. All my friends will be talking about how noisy 75 meters is and how they can't hear weaker stations, I will flip the switch on the TR switch to receive on my Wolf River coil to listen to what they are talking about. I use the W6LVP Mobile magnetic receive loop antenna anytime I'm mobile. I can't wait to get a second receive loop to put on my remote hams base station up in Central Texas. I would highly recommend this receive loop antenna, it is amazing.

K5KWG Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2018 23:53 Send this review to a friend
Tested this mobile loop on a 3000 mile RV trip  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently used this new W6LVP 2 ft mobile magnetic loop on a month long RV trip. The performance was amazing. My transmit antenna was a HI-Q 480 vertical 13 ft high with a capacity hat. On all bands tested including 80, 40, 30 and 20 meters the loop had a higher signal to noise ratio on SSB, CW and Digital Signals. On the lower bands it was not unusual to be able to hear on the loop signals that were totally masked by noise on the vertical transmit antenna. The key is the loops ability to lower the noise much more than the reduction in signal strength. A major benefit of listening on the loop is the ability to instantly change bands and frequencies without tuning adjustments. The antenna also works well on the broadcast band and 160 meters.

Frankly I was skeptical that a small loop could compete with my expensive very efficient HI-Q 13 ft antenna tuned to resonance but found that after a while of comparing the best receive the loop always won.

The loop has a magnetic base that firmly holds the loop even on bumpy roads. If you want to operate on autos, trucks or RVs you cannot find a better receive antenna than the W6LVP mobile loop. I have been a ham 57 years and have over 40 years of mobile and portable experience. Often the noise in mobile operations is the limiting factor in holding a conversation. This loop makes a large increase in signal to noise ratio allowing great qsos that would normally be impossible.