Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | FlexRadio POWER GENIUS XL Help

Reviews Summary for FlexRadio POWER GENIUS XL
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$6995
Description: Legal Limit Solid State Amplifier
More info: http://flexradio.com

You can write your own review of the FlexRadio POWER GENIUS XL.

K4QXX Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2019 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Great SS Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned the PGXL amp for a couple of weeks now. It was expensive but I will never go back to a tube amp again. My old Ten Tec Titan worked great for many years but not having to tune every time I change bands is really nice. The Flex amp is very well built and runs 100% duty cycle on 160-6 meters. I have tried it on all bands but 6 so far and it works great. It interfaces flawlessly with my Flex 6700 and it also works great with my Icom 7300. The amp has a built in C-IV interface for Icom rigs and works as it should. The front touch panel shows all the relevant information (band, 2 temperature readings, voltage, transmit time, etc). The amp is built for SO2R operation. There are two inputs and two outputs so you can have two radios connected with two different antennas. I haven't used it in this configuration but I can see how this would be beneficial to contesters. There are 3 fan settings (normal, contest and broadcast) with each setting raising the fan speeds. During SSB and FT8 transmissions, I have only used the normal setting. The fans will increase more on some bands than others. If the PA gets over 70C, the fans kick into high gear but they keep the unit cool. I don't think the fan noise is bad but noise is subjective. In stand by mode the amp is very quiet. During SSB operation, the fans usually don't ramp up much except for prolonged transmit times running high power. This is my first SS amp so I don't have anything to compare it to but I really love this amp so far. It is expensive but you get what you pay for.

K7ERQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2018 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Flex Radio, Congratulations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Attractive Desk Top Unit. Easy computer control.
Looks Terrific. Weight is such one person can handle.
Great Protective Packaging.
Total set up time for me was only 10 minutes.
Critical in set up is properly setting transmit delay. Flex recommends 20Ms.
RF Sense switching is great for the operator with a variety of transceivers in that station.
will update review after another 20 hours of operation