Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-890S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-890S
Kenwood TS-890S Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $4,499.95
Description: Kenwood FLAGSHIP TS-890S has arrived. Kenwood sets a new performance and operating standard for the ultimate Amateur Transceiver. Advanced KENWOOD technologies deliver a Top- End receive and transmit experience on Amateur Bands 160 M to 6 M. 3rd order IMD ... 110 dB, RMDR ... 112 dB, Blocking DR ... 150 dB. Free software for Full remote/VOIP without a PC, Code/Decode CW,PSK, RTTY. At your fingertips...
More info: http://www.kenwood.com/usa/com/amateur/ts-890s/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-890S.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2019 22:04 Send this review to a friend
Neat RADIO for sure!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have a TS990s for the last 2 1/2 years like it a lot, the TS890 is not a TS990s but what it is is a very good radio an easy to use. It does SSB super good for me an oldltimer, pitch or the receive is just right for a HAM that has listened to radio signals for a very long time, easy to hear at low listening level an catch most every word clearly, Strong signals come in load an week signals come in very clear, easy to learn radio. Notch filter works well for a crouded band, like in mornings when Skip is long, It works with my ACOM 1000 amplifier nicely. Heard this station on a SDR receiver a 1000 mile away this morning, It sounded nice an clear, like the other stations I talking with this mornings on 75m. Built well just like other Kenwood radios. If it holds up like other Kenwood radios I have owned or own, it could be another winner, its receivers performance is very good an its easley adaptable to different conditions. an has a quite.receive.............73s.........kb6hrt

AD9P Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2019 23:50 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Best radio I have owned.

Al
AD9P

NY7Q Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2019 19:52 Send this review to a friend
double excellent CW rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been waiting forever for the new Yaesu 101. glad I did. This 890s is the best CW rig I have ever operated in 63 years.

G4OER Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2019 18:33 Send this review to a friend
a dream machine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've lost count of the rigs I have tried over the years but the 890s is by far superior to anything I ever used.

I mostly use cw and with the optional filter I can't be more impressed.

Dave

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2019 02:20 Send this review to a friend
Kenwood Hit a Homerun With The TS-890S  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this new top of the line TS-890S for close to 2 weeks and I am still amazed as to how good this transceiver is. The receiver is terrific and the transmitter is great. I get good reports on phone as well as CW. The receiver is outstanding especially on CW with the 270 Hz. optional CW filter. The receiver rivals my Ten-Tec Orion II with all the filters on CW. I think it has the Ten-Tec beat on CW.

The graphics and the scope are terrific! Looks like I'll be using the TS-890 now as my main go-to radio on phone and CW. I'm no stranger to Kenwood as I have a TS-590, TS-2000 and a TH-D74 walkie.

It is no wonder many of the big ham stores can't keep them in stock! The TS-890 will now be the Go-To radio in this shack with the Orion II being the backup! This is the best radio I've ever owned in the 56 years I've been a ham! Great job Kenwood!

KW4CQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2019 22:19 Send this review to a friend
Kenwood’s best to date  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As good as or possibly better in some respects than its bigger brother, the TS-990. Features, performance, and build quality = 5 stars. This transceiver is a keeper.

WA2HLM Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2019 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Great radio.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned Kenwood radios for years including 140, 520, 590, 2000 and now 890. The 890 is an amazing radio with a receiver that is highly senstive and specific. I live less than one mile from a 1 kw AM broadcaster but am able to attenuate the signal to hear other stations just 40 Khz away.

The receiver is warm and full, able to hear better than the 590. Transmit reports have been excellent and monitored audio is robust and accurate.

What is really cool is the ability to decode CW, rtty, and easily access digital modes that were previously less easily available.

Great radio - so far, the best I have had occasion to use!

WB9MSM Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2018 13:06 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This will be a short and sweet review. Buy one! I have been following the TS-890S for some time and finally made the decision to buy one a few days ago. It is all that I was expecting and then some. I played around with one at HRO in Milwaukee and was so impressed I decided to buy one. I also purchased the optional filter and speaker for it to make it the total 890 experience. I have been a Kenwood guy through and through for many years and I must say Kenwood got it right when they put this beauty in production. I am amazed at the receive quality! It has me totally enjoying HF even more. I will do a more detailed review in a few months but I wanted to share my initial experience for those of you who are on the fence about buying one. 73 from Wisconsin, Denny WB9MSM

WB2LQF Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2018 01:16 Send this review to a friend
The best radio I've ever owned  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a 100% HF CW operator and have been for fifty-six years. CW is the basis for my review. I sold my Kenwood TS-590SG - which I previously thought was the "best" rig I ever owned for CW - and just about everything else of any value in my shack to come up with the $$ for this TS-890S. I was unsure that I would really see noticeable receiver and operating improvement over the TS-590SG. Boy, did I ever hit the jackpot!! This rig is so intuitive; easy to operate. As a CW op, I've got the controls in knob form at my fingertips for things like moving from full break-in to my desired delay on-the-fly. The APF is to die for! The filtering is superb. The receiver is QUIET. No complex menus to get lost in because it's so well laid out. The bandscope is fabulous. I had a KX3 that I added the bandscope to and, frankly, it didn't do much for me so I sold it. But THIS baby - oh WOW - and with three levels of pre-amp too. The noise reduction is the best I've ever experienced. There is so much to the radio that I will probably never use, never explore but it's there should I choose to branch out beyond CW. The transmitter section appears to be essentially the same husky, reliable one in the TS-590SG and that's just fine with me! If I had one wish, it would be that I could get the RF down below 5 watts because I like to QRPp at times. I wish,like my old K3, that I could get down to 100 milliwatts. But, there are other options for attenuating the output. Since I use resonant antennas, I can't really comment on the internal antenna tuner's range but I suspect it follows the same general 3:1 or so convention. Oh, did I mention that I love the digital meter. Ya gotta look real close before ya notice it's digital. The date and twin time zones for local and UTC in blue are great and just in the right place. I've never found the lack of a second receiver to be an impediment to my operating so I'm quite satisfied with the excellent split operation in this rig. However, I understand that a second transceiver -such as the TS-590 - could be slaved. This radio is big and heavy, about 40 lbs or so. That's just fine with me. Plenty of room for the layout of knobs and switches. Heck, it ain't going anywhere so the weight and size are a non-issue. There's so much more that I could describe but I don't want to hog space. So let me just repeat that this is the most expensive and the best radio I've ever owned and I can't imagine what else I could ever possibly want.

KN2M Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2018 03:52 Send this review to a friend
Superb radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had never owned a Kenwood radio in my 50 years of ham radio. I had never owned a rig with the direct waterfall display. No disappointment here. The display is nicely responsive and the touch screen feature is quite helpful. Intuitive controls and operation. Easy to use menu system. Some user function definable buttons and some functions activated by push and hold buttons. I really could not ask for more rig. I direct sub-receiver would be nice but I have rarely used it in other radios that I have owned. I purchased and linked a TS-590SG for that purpose and it works brilliantly. The receiver is rated quite highly by Sherwood Engineering and for good reason. I compared the radio side by side with my FTdx5000 and found the receiver to be, without question, as nice as and as easy to use as the Yaesu or any other radio I have previously owned. Some things about the radio noted so far that I find regrettable are a drop to about 80w output when the tuner is activated, no internal power supply and, like many other rigs on the market, one has to spin the RIT/XIT too many times to move the frequency a small amount. The manual is well written but there is no index and I found myself hunting around for topics that tended to be buried here and there. In conclusion, this radio possibly surpasses all rigs offered for sale at this time, other than the Icom 7851, in latest technology performance and certainly all radios, considering price, value, function and performance. At this time with under a month of use, I loudly say thank you, Kenwood.