Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-890S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-890S
Kenwood TS-890S Reviews: 25 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $4,499.95
Description: Kenwood FLAGSHIP TS-890S has arrived. Kenwood sets a new performance and operating standard for the ultimate Amateur Transceiver. Advanced KENWOOD technologies deliver a Top- End receive and transmit experience on Amateur Bands 160 M to 6 M. 3rd order IMD ... 110 dB, RMDR ... 112 dB, Blocking DR ... 150 dB. Free software for Full remote/VOIP without a PC, Code/Decode CW,PSK, RTTY. At your fingertips...
More info: http://www.kenwood.com/usa/com/amateur/ts-890s/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-890S.

G4GZG Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2019 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Worth the cash  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The TS890S isn't the cheapest rig on the market, but in my opinion it's worth the extra. After all it's still cheaper than a TS990 or other top line offerings. If you were thinking of buying an Elecraft K3, then I won't try and dissuade you, but otherwise the TS890S is in a class of it's own. The return to a double superhet with 8.2MhZ first IF and narrow roofing filters gives a great receiver with supeb sensitivity and dynamic range .I've been licenced for over 40 years and have had all sorts of rigs, including some of the best of their day such as the K3 and Ten Tec's Orion 2. The TS890S is better all ways round than even these rigs and the build quality and solid casing really make the rig.

RA4RT Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2019 18:11 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It is impossible to even imagine that there is a better receiver TS-890S.
APF - the best
Selectivity is the best
Compared to 160 meters 7700, K3, 7610. In CW 890 out of competition.

K5TCP Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2019 13:54 Send this review to a friend
WOW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got the radio last week. Main HF rig at my station now with the SPE 1.5-KA amp. Like the layout / feel of the front buttons / knobs a lot. RX / TX performance is top. Very happy with my purchase.

WC1X Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2019 17:08 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Outstanding performer. Great audio on xmit. Very good audio on receive, no listening fatigue at all. Outstanding on CW, QSK and APF work great. My other two rigs are a FTDX-5000 and IC-7300. The TS-890S is my rig of choice.

WD8BP Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2019 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent quality radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Product review for Kenwood TS-890S. I have had many high quality high end transceivers in my over 40 yrs of doing ham radio, some of which were: TS-950SDX, TS-850, TS-870, varies other TS models, FTdx5000MP, Ftdx9000MP, IC-7800, and variety of Flex models and Elecraft K3.
I recently took delivery on the TS890S. My initial impressions were, a very well made, quality product with an excellent feel and finish. I first was exposed to a TS-990S at AES-CLE when they were still in business. The TS-890S is very similar to look and feel as the TS-990S. The pan adapter, noise reduction ability, IMD, receive audio and transmit audio is typical Kenwood quality. The radio is quite heavy and larger then my TS-850 yet only a few inches smaller than the TS-990. I have made several contacts in all modes on many bands, and the radio just works, and works very well. I looked at Sherwood Eng..and reviewed the numbers. Ranks quite well in the standings especially since its only half the price of higher end models. There is something for everyone who use this radio.
I highly suggest taking a closer look at this model, and judge for yourself. I am 100% pleased and content with this model. I was hoping the typical high-end Kenwood quality and feel would still remain in this model, and they are spot on, it still retains this feel. Thank you Kenwood for producing this model. Very happy with the purchase.

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2019 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Best ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just a brief review for a superb radio
Owned 1 month
this radio oozes quality and is a delight to operate
I have tried all the modes and was surprised to find that the HRD free version workd ok using the TS480 radio setting.
I have owned many top radios over the years
This one is the best sofar and looking forward to the Peter Hart review soon

W6AAJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2019 06:17 Send this review to a friend
Exceeds My Expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned my TS-890S for about two months and I wanted to add my "Me Too" regarding all of the good things that others have said in reviews prior to this. I've owned many radios in my 55+ years in Amateur Radio. (My last was a Yaesu FT-2000.) Without a doubt, this is the best (by far), so far. I'll let others speak to the technical aspects of this rig. Suffice it to say that I love the way it sounds and operates. (For the first time, I can actually hear and work stations on 160M!) The menu structure is very comprehensive but extremely easy to navigate. The 3 programmable buttons are VERY USEFUL! The display is comprehensive and it adds a WOW factor I enjoy. I recommend this radio!

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2019 22:04 Send this review to a friend
Neat RADIO for sure!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have a TS990s for the last 2 1/2 years like it a lot, the TS890 is not a TS990s but what it is is a very good radio an easy to use. It does SSB super good for me an oldltimer, pitch or the receive is just right for a HAM that has listened to radio signals for a very long time, easy to hear at low listening level an catch most every word clearly, Strong signals come in load an week signals come in very clear, easy to learn radio. Notch filter works well for a crouded band, like in mornings when Skip is long, It works with my ACOM 1000 amplifier nicely. Heard this station on a SDR receiver a 1000 mile away this morning, It sounded nice an clear, like the other stations I talking with this mornings on 75m. Built well just like other Kenwood radios. If it holds up like other Kenwood radios I have owned or own, it could be another winner, its receivers performance is very good an its easley adaptable to different conditions. an has a quite.receive.............73s.........kb6hrt

AD9P Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2019 23:50 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Best radio I have owned.

Al
AD9P

NY7Q Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2019 19:52 Send this review to a friend
double excellent CW rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been waiting forever for the new Yaesu 101. glad I did. This 890s is the best CW rig I have ever operated in 63 years.