Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | TRIO TX-88A Multibander AM/CW Transmitter Kit Help

Reviews Summary for TRIO TX-88A Multibander AM/CW Transmitter Kit
TRIO TX-88A Multibander AM/CW Transmitter Kit Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $7,400 yen at a recent auction
Description: Six tube crystal controlled AM/CW transmitter. Uses a
single 807 plate modulated final.Sold in kit form only in
1960. An optional VFO was available.
More info: http://Original TRIO product, now KENWOOD

You can write your own review of the TRIO TX-88A Multibander AM/CW Transmitter Kit.

W6MWS Rating: 4/5 Dec 20, 2018 03:49 Send this review to a friend
A very rare product from TRIO, before it became Kenwood.   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I found this transmitter at an auction. Due to its age and rarity, no one was bidding on it. Because it was a TRIO product,(now Kenwood), I started the bid, and got it a few bucks later.

It was only after I got home and started searching the usual places for more information, that I realized just how rare this box is, even in Japan.

Being sold only in kit form, the second buyer has no idea what he will find. I found 60 years of shade tree repairs, with missing parts, broken wires, substitutions, electrolytics wired in reverse etc. etc.

And worse yet, there was precious little information available, and even then it was translated in poor English. I did find one schematic, that I used for a guide.I also dug out a couple of old ARRL Handbooks that featured similar circuits of that era.

After several weeks, I had it looking electrically somewhat like the tattered schematic, and I connected it to the Variac, just enough to see if the filaments would light and the transformers and chokes didn't growl.
So far, so good and i kicked power up to 110VAC. All was well, and I installed the only crystal I have, at 3.880 MHZ.
After a bit of getting use to the controls, I hit SEND, and bingo, I had a respectable carrier. Further tuning and watching the grid and plate and I had it putting out 21 watts into the dummy load. This thing was actually working!!

I hooked up the SB220 with a foot switch, and had an indicated 300 watts carrier going full bore. I made a couple of contacts, and got good signal reports and complements on the audio using my old Astatic 10DA mike.

For me, this is what ham radio is all about. I love these old rigs. I still have to test all the bands and hook up the CW, but first I have to locate some crystals...

I gave it a 4 just because it worked the first time I turned it on.