Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | MFJ-1982MP Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1982MP
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: 80-10M End Fed 1/2 Wave Antenna 300W
More info: http://www.mjfenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1982MP.

NA1ME Rating: 4/5 Dec 26, 2018 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Great results using QRP  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was looking for a simple, easy to put up "one antenna to do it all" to make use of on a temporary basis, following my move to a new QTH in Maine and pending creation of an antenna farm in Spring/Summer 2019. My overall impression is that this antenna fits the bill nicely. It also would make an excellent antenna for portable use, including QRP operation. I run QRP 5W most of the time. Except as noted, all QSOs described below occurred while I was running QRP.

The antenna at the feedline end is attached to a roof post on a second floor deck, 20 feet off the ground, and runs out across an open field and is attached to a tree there, about 40 feet high. Average length above ground therefore is about 30 feet, that is, 1/8 up to 1/2 wavelength high on 80M-40M-20M. It's fed with 15 feet of coax running into the temporary shack. A line isolator, to guard against common mode, is inserted with another three foot piece of coax going to my transceiver.

I've done no pruning of antenna length, in particular since my primary interest is CW on the low end of bands. As erected, the antenna has an 2.0:1 bandwidth from 3.500 to 3.750 MHz; SWR is 1.3:l rising to 2.3:1 between 7.000 to 7.300; 2.6:1 to 2.4:1 between 10.100 and 10.150; 1.2:1 to 2.2:1 between 14.000 and 14.350; 3.3:l on 17M; 1.8:1 rising sharply to 4.3:1 between 21.000 and 21.450; unmeasured on 12M; and 4.0:1 to 4.8:1 on the first 100 KHz of 10M. As indicated, any internal tuner on your transceiver will handle higher SWR in many situations, though an external tuner is definitely needed, in my set-up, on 17M and 10M. But as almost all of my operation with this antenna is on 80M-40M-20M-15M CW, I have no trouble using the antenna as is, with good results.

Your own results will be optimized by (1) pruning antenna length and (2) selecting the direction that the antenna runs toward. Regarding the latter, I suggest that you take a look at the numerous online articles about how the radiation patterns of EFHW antennas are affected by antenna height. My antenna takes off in a SW direction from the deck on the house. At 30 or so feet, radiation is basically straight up on 80M,
there's 45 degrees elevation with lobes to the SW and NE on 40M, and there's 30 degrees elevation with clover leaf lobes, relatively wide SW and NE though much narrower SE and NW. Ideally, you will have flexibility at your location to make best use of radiation patterns, taking into account specific antenna height.

As it turns out, my 80M EFHW was a good performer in 2018 CW SS. On 80M it served as an NVIS antenna, easily producing contacts within a 500 mile radius. On 40M, with a lobe to the SW, I had no trouble making contacts out to the West Coast. It shined on 20M, with QSOs with about half a dozen HI stations. In 14 hours of operation, all hunt and pounce, I made 350 QSOs in 48 states and 6 VE provinces.

In terms of DX, I currently have about 70 DXCC entities. I have contacted both EU and AF on 80M using 5W, though this is not common. Out of curiosity, I have cranked up PO to 50W, and that seems to do the trick most of the time with respect to contacting EU. On 40M I have no trouble working DX QRP. That said, the antenna performs best on 20M as well as 15M (when the latter has been open). Memorable contacts on 20M include ZS and ZL. This is all on CW. For fun, though, I did try the 2018 CQWW SSB Test a couple months ago, and while running QRP I contacted all continents except Asia.

None of this is to brag but rather indicate that the antenna does radiate. If you are a typical operator running 100-150W, you should have no trouble at all getting out and even working DX on a regular basis. Will the antenna do as well as an 80M vertical, a 40M dipole 50-60 feet high, or a triband yagi on top of a high tower? No. Of course not. It's well worth the price, however, and certainly a good fix for anyone looking for a temporary antenna or an antenna for use at a portable location.

Hope this helps. I look forward to reading other reviews about this particular antenna, as I'm very curious about the results that you obtain with it at your location. 73.