Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | ProComm PCF-17B 17 meter Mobile Whip Help

Reviews Summary for ProComm PCF-17B 17 meter Mobile Whip
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$39.00
Description: PROCOMM PCF17B 17m MONO BAND HAM VERTICAL MOBILE ANTENNA
HAMSTICK STYLE 500W
More info: http://www.ebay.com/usr/cqradiosupply?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

You can write your own review of the ProComm PCF-17B 17 meter Mobile Whip.

N0AN Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2018 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Amazing for A Garden Variety Hamstick Clone  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this to replace a full size MFJ 17 meter ground plane. The MFJ broke, so I was left with a 3/8 x 24 mount bolted to a horizontal mast 7' off the ground (cross boom for satellite antennas). ...and it's winter!

I simply unscrewed the broken MFJ and screwed this in its place. I have 4 elevated radials coming off the base of the mount. The initial settings for a mag mount were followed. The point of resonance was below 18.1, so I shortened the adjustment by 2". That put it in band just fine.

VSWR is about 3.4 to 1. A good dip at the Fo is noted, but the impedance is a bit off. This could be adjusted if I fine tuned the radials and/or radiator, but it's winter.

I use a tuner in the shack, and even without it, the reception is excellent.

Constructions is typical of these fiberglass antennas with an adjustable stainless whip. No issues.

Performance:

This antenna is being used solely for FT8 (digital mode), with about 70w output power. The antenna is rated for 500W PEP, but I would not run more than half that in a 100% duty cycle like FT8.

At 11 a.m. local time, the entire 21 call display of JTAlert is being filled by receptions every sequence.

The following DX stations were worked, over the period of about an hour.

ON7BB, ON7HW, EA1ABT, ZL1BDW, AH6U

I also called CQ and frequently got 2 callers for each time slot, in response to my CQ. I literally had to beat them away with a stick. Over 40 stations were worked in about 1.5 hours, most answered my CQs. Others responded immediately to a call from me.

I expected the antenna to be a horrible compromise and to work "ok" on FT8, because it is such a sensitive mode. I expected I would hear a LOT better than I was received because of inefficiencies (loss) in the transmit side.

Neither turned out to be true. I received several stations at -24 dB SNR, that gave me +5 dB SNR back. (They could have local noise, however). In general, my rx vs tx reports were, in most cases comparable.

While the antenna is not a miracle, it works better than I expected, allows as many contacts as I'm willing to spend the time getting, and does so at good signal levels if the band is in good shape. (and it is in VERY good shape today)

Overall, it is a pleasure to use. It is cheap. It is well built for my use and it got me back on 17m FT8 for the winter. I have no idea how it might work on a car. (which I"m sure is its intended application)

I would say that those interested in digital modes like FT8, might find any of the 20 meter and up ProComm whips to be sufficient. I would start to worry about 30 meters and below where the antenna is considerably short compared to a full quarter wave. At the price point, however, I would not be afraid to try it.