Reviews Categories | Ham radio kits | Ozark Patrol 2 Band Receiver Kit Help

Reviews Summary for Ozark Patrol 2 Band Receiver Kit
Ozark Patrol 2 Band Receiver Kit Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $50.50
Description: Designed by David Cripe, NM0S, this is a two band short wave receiver kit using "Reflexed Regenerative Detector" to maximize gain. There are 38 through hole components that mount on pads etched on the opposite side of the face plate.
More info: http://www.4sqrp.com/ozarkpatrol.php

You can write your own review of the Ozark Patrol 2 Band Receiver Kit.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2019 22:09 Send this review to a friend
Turn back the calendar!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A lot of hams my age started listening to shortwave radio with simple regenerative receivers, often built from a kit. Well I missed that boat so when I saw that the 4 States QRP Group was offering this, I jumped at it. Nearly everything I've built has been functional (i.e. Rockmites, watt meters, etc). I got this just for fun!

Once it arrived I downloaded the excellent builders guide on the 4SQRP website and got to work. All parts are mounted on flat soldering pads with through hole parts (Pittsburg style) on the back of the 6.5 x 5.5 inch face plate. Once I got a couple of parts soldered it was easy going. Everything is included to make a working receiver. After all the are components mounted the face plate is then attached to a pine board base. 6 AA batteries run the radio.

Once built it worked, but seemed a bit deaf. Two things helped: I spread the turns out on the (one) toroid and more tightly wound the gimmick cap on the antenna connector. I was rewarded with a working receiver. Spent last night and this morning listening to 40 meters, CW and SSB and some shortwave stations. This thing is a hoot!

This isn't going to replace cutting edge SDRs but for simple fun it can't be beat. Heck, build it, use it then give to one of the grand kids.