Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FTDX101D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTDX101D
Yaesu FTDX101D Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3995.95
Description: HF/6m transceiver
More info: http://yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTDX101D.

K7ERQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2019 11:50 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yaesu has really "Hit one out of the park".
I highly recommend you have the ALL Narrow CW and SSB Filters installed by Yaesu before you take delivery. The VCT 101 for second receiver also.
A vast improvement over the FTdx9000D, FTdx5000!
Top Quality Construction. Built like a tank.
Receive Audio is outstanding. Same for Transmit.
I keep wondering, how will Amateur gear keep getting better, well it has with the FTdx101D.
Thanks Yaesu.

K3OX Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2019 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Yaesu Comes Through  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Until early 2016, my main xcvr was usually an Icom IC-781 chosen for it's reasonable used market price and high RX performance. There was a brief flirtation with the Elecraft K3, but ultimately I decided against it, mostly due to its a la carte pricing. The 781 was finally replaced by an Icom 7300 in early 2016, despite being outdone by the 781 in a few areas, its combination of low price, size and weight, excellent bandscope and DSP RX features carried the day. But eventually, I wanted a rig that offered enhanced capabilities along the lines that the 781 offered back in its day.

My first foray was into a Flex 6400. It was a good performing radio, but ticked me off in ways probably more descriptive of me than it. I bought a Maestro panel since I (still) believe that a radio should be a radio with knobs and buttons. Now I liked the Flex in many ways, but ultimately I must say it was kind of a kluge. Just getting the rig "booted" and fully functional could be a frustrating experience, at best taking a few minutes, at worst requiring IT skills beyond what I thought should be necessary to merely turn on a radio. With the IC-7300, you push the button and presto, in a few seconds you had a functional radio! Conclusion; Flex was not for me.

So the Flex was sold and the 7300 put back in place, but still...

I wanted something better. However, nothing jumped out at me in the Marketplace until the FTDX-101D was announced. This looked promising, but around a year later promising was still all Yaesu was doing. But finally, the rig jumped off the drawing board and became a reality. My first inclination was to wait and see, but a trip to HRO Delaware would be fatal. So one warm spring day found me driving home with a new rig and thousands of dollars lighter. Would this be Flex 6400 redux?

Nope. I hooked up the 101 to my (so called) antennas and my power supply then pushed the Power button. The rig beeped and came to life! Excelsior!

The RX sounded good, but the bandscope experience was different from what my IC-7300's was. The scope actually works fine, but could use a bit of averaging in its response. The rapid response made me (more) neurotic at first, but after a bit of time at least I calmed down (if not the display). Actually, this is sort of the way the 7300 scope looked before I found the adjustment to mellow it out, it would be nice if Yaesu would offer this adjustment in a software update at some point.

The receiver sounds good to me and even crowded bands during contests can be largely tamed. The infamous Sherwood Engineering Receiver Test Data chart lists the 101D at the top, but the top 7 slots are so close that there would not be much practical difference. The Noise Blanker works well and the Digital Noise Reduction works better than any of the others I have used. So far, I haven't much to complain about regarding the receiver. The only slight problem is strong impulse noise (such as light switches, motors starting etc.) can "capture" the AGC momentarily. The 7300 did the same thing and this is apparently a common issue with many of the modern DSP Radios.

Now, my inclination is to be somewhat forgiving on operational stuff since that tends to be more a matter of preference and what you are familiar with rather than absolute. So far, I have found the rig works more or less like I would expect with a few things I had to get used to. One was setting up the radio to operate split frequency, it was different from what I was used to but I actually ended up preferring the way the Yaesu implemented the function. I also really like the concentric to the main tuning knob sub-receiver tuning knob. It looks and feels really good and in operation is convenient to use. Overall, the radio feels well built and as attractive as a Ham Radio needs to be.

To get N1MM and WSJT-X running required this key bit of information, the Ham Lib analogue of the 101D is the FT-991. So I was able to work the current 3D2CR DxPedition on FT8 on 7 bands. Can't be bad!

One important thing when operating FT8 is to check the ALC level. I had to back off the Audio om my computer to around 25% on the "Speakers USB AUDIO CODEC" adjustment to keep from overdriving the radio and causing spurious signals. This is actually just part of proper setup, just sayin' check it.

One other issue I had is that, when using the DATA-U mode for FT8, sometimes the computer didn't fully modulate the radio or indicate any ALC level at all. Switching the rig to SSB, whistling for a second and switching back to DATA fixes this until the radio is powered down. I can't make much of this since I don't know why this happens, it could be a setting in the radio or in WSJT-X or involved with the lack of dedicated Ham Lib setting for WSJT-X or...

Interfacing with my Acom 1010 amp and my Receive K9AY array was simplicity itself, plug and play and did not require the DX Engineering RTR-1A external box as the IC-7300 did. This for only $2500 more! Seriously, the FT101D is a significantly better radio in many ways that (to me) justifies its greater cost. So no buyers remorse here (yet, hi hi).

Regarding amplifiers, there have been some reports that there were RF overshoots that have caused problems with certain amplifiers (I have had no problems with my Acom). It appears that Yaesu has figured a fix for this, said to be implemented in current (as of now) production. Good on Yaesu for working this out and it looks like anyone affected by this will be taken care of.

Overall, I think this is a great radio, not perfect but neither are any of the circa $10k radios. It's not cheap, but I believe it is fine value for the money if you need (or want) this level of features and performance. It will be interesting to see what Elecraft comes up with in their K4, but to be "better" than the FTDX-101D it will have to be one fabulous radio.

2E0DQQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2019 21:05 Send this review to a friend
24 hours in and I'm in love!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Within 20 minutes of first power-up I was so impressed with this radio. The layout, performance and ergonomics are just stunning. The DNR feature is the best I have have used. First contact was with a German station who instantly said the audio was the best he'd ever heard - and this was BEFORE I changed any of the parametric EQ settings. Thankfully, Yaesu have completely redesigned the entire menu system making them both intuitive and moreover, user friendly.

On a personal note, one review was made about this radio that said it caused 'splatter' - what an absolute load of bull. I've tested this over 14 hours of continuous use and have found the radio to be stunning in every regard and have compared this side by side against an FT5000MP - the result: the 101D pips the performance of the 5000 in almost every area. I suspect that Yeasu have taken the best features contained with the 5000MP, improved them and have come up with an instant classic. It'll be in this shack for many years to come.

N5YY Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2019 13:40 Send this review to a friend
I LIKE IT !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I started writing this review and found myself getting unnecessarily wordy. Suffice it to say this radio is replacing my FTdx 5000. This new radio surpasses every radio I have ever used. I love it!
The displays are highly functional and entertaining, the controls are laid out well, and the radio is very easy to set up.

AA6VB Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2019 04:18 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine When Adjusted Properly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A local ham just acquired an FTDX101D.

He spent some time reading the manual and adjusting all settings properly. His amplifier is properly tuned. As a result, his SSB and CW signals were perfect. No sign of splatter or key clicks.

I would be interested in hearing reports from other amateurs who have adjusted their rigs properly.

W1BG Rating: 3/5 May 4, 2019 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Prone to cause splatter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
One of our locals recently purchased this rig. While it is indeed very nice looking, with his initial on-air use the first couple of days his signal was splattering more than 8 kHz wide. Obviously he was overdriving the audio, but my point is that no matter how hard you drive it, it should not transmit (or splatter) outside of the defined TX passband of the rig. Once proper EQ'ing was performed the splatter problem is greatly improved, though still there to some degree if he crowds the mic or gets excited and begins talking loud. I look forward to other *listeners* reports.

K7FD Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2019 16:44 Send this review to a friend
First 24 hours  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will leave a detailed review to the more technically minded owners. This review is an overview of my first 24 hours with the FTDX101D.

Coming from the Icom world I found a bit of a learning curve requiring a good read of the Yaesu manual. The onboard menu'ing of the '101D is very logical...once I got the hang of it, hi. No complaints.

First impression, well built. Like a tank. Quality. The TFT display is crisp and clear. Initially I thought the 3D spectrum scope would be more of a novelty than useful. Whether it's useful I'm not sure yet, but I LOVE IT! You can't take your eyes off of the 3D display; even static crashes look great!

So the display is top notch. Next, the DNR digital noise reduction is excellent; best I've used. On both SSB and CW. Really takes your breath away. And noise.

So far, I have only had the rig on CW driving a small amp. No troubles. I work 99% CW but will venture onto phone later. I suspect the included hand mic sounds like most...but it might surprise me, like the hand mic with the IC-7300. We'll see.

Dual receive works great and the ergonomics gets a big thumbs up. MAIN and SUB controls and buttons are color coded making it easy to use.

This is my first Yaesu HF rig since the FT-101F and the FT-303. Those go back a few years! The new FTDX101D has made a favorable impression.

John K7FD