Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Ten-Tec Scout 555 Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Scout 555
Ten-Tec Scout 555 Reviews: 72 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $569.00
Description: 160-10 mtr CW & SSB 50-watts
More info: http://www.tentec.com

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Scout 555.

W5VBA Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2018 13:29 Send this review to a friend
1st HF radio ever Purchased.  Time owned: more than 12 months
AS many other Radio enthusiast, I am a believer that Ten-Tec Scout is One of the Finest Radio Ten-Tec produced when in Operation. The simplicity of its operation says it all! If Ten-Tec were to ever start Manufacturing radios, Engineers could learn much in its operation and use as a Quality radio for a "Demanding Audience"

K4CWQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2018 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Great, Fun Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Scout used around 2000 and wisely bought the extra band modules so I had the entire package of 9. I'm glad now that I see the modules being sold at ripoff prices. I made a foam lined module case, where they stay clean and ready to use.
The Scout is just a super fun radio to operate. No complicated menus or control panels that resemble a 757 jet. Just turn it on and talk!
As for its shortcomings, they don't bother me. The voltage issue OK since I always operate mine from a 13.8 volt home supply. I rarely operate CW, and when I do, my speed rarely hits 15 WPA, so the drift is no problem. I never use VOX on any radio and the RF gain is at maximum, so don't need them on the Scout. And I hate processed audio.
The Jones filter is great and provides all the selectivity I need. I added the amp keying mod mentioned in the Scout manual and now use it to key my Ameritron AL-811 to about 400 watts.
I also own a Ten Tec Triton IV digital and Icom 718. If I ever have to sell any of my radios, the Scout will be the last to go, Just love it. It's a classic in ham radio, with simplicity that will never be found again.

KE1MI Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2018 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Sweet Little Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just a brief review of my newly acquired Ten Tec Scout. I have the 80,40,20,10 modules, and mobile bracket. Bought off the Bay, supposedly new. Well guess what, it was. Had factory NB installed as well. Transmit audio is excellent, even on 80 meters where signals can be tough. The receive is, well the outstanding, legendary Ten Tec. The Jones filter is awesome as well, no DSP hash.
Best rig I have bought in years, I always wanted one for the simplicity. Now I have one, and it's not going anywhere. C U on the air with it! "Come back Ten Tec, come back please"

EA1HFI Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2018 22:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent equipment, small, robust, with good audio and 50W that are left over to use it in portable, mobile or fixed, very good audio reports, it's all a classic American!

KB5RU Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2017 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Excelent Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Simple to use and very reliable. Has great receiver with and the variable "Jones Filter" to boot. Receive audio is superb and the transmitted audio gets great reports. I added a sinking output to mine to run with an amplifier.

K8RXB Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2015 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Great CW radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my Scout since about 1998, and have used it as a land and maritime mobile rig as well as my primary radio at home. Currently I operate strictly CW at 30 watts or less using modest attic wire antennas (condo). I like it so well that I have bought another just as a spare. The smooth QSK and Jones filter make this radio a true gem for CW. I have also received many compliments on the Scout's SSB audio.

N0TVE Rating: 4/5 Aug 25, 2015 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Tough, simple and fun  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a fun radio to use. It is built very sturdy and its 50 watts are enough to make plenty of contacts. I got mine from the original owner and it is in almost new condition. It is my second 555.
Changing band modules is easy and the controls are easy to use. No menus here! TT made this rig with a strong case and internals. I usually use mine portable with a SLAB and an EFHW antenna. The scout has great audio and the Jones filter really does work well. I always get good signal reports on SSB, my mode of choice.
This is a fun radio to use and built like an old JEEP.
If you are looking for a good simple rig that doesn't require a textbook to operate The Scout 555 is it.

K0NEO Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2014 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Get one!  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of the best radios I ever owned; I deeply regret selling mine to a fellow ham (now SK), even if it was for a good cause. As always, Ten Tec delivered solid performance.

Don't let the 50 W output scare all you QRO-ers away. It's more than enough to get contacts all over the world. I installed this as a mobile rig about 13 years ago and my first contact was a Russian Federation station over the Pole. After that, my daughter was busy during the rest of our 6.5 hour trip logging the contacts.

Band changing is simple and the display is wonderfully large and bright. The large letters are especially easy late at night in the vehicle.

This was the other radio taken on the NĜI Island Expedition in 2002, along with a Kenwood TS-520S.

ZS6DJD Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2013 10:28 Send this review to a friend
such a cool radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is such a cool radio. This is a very basic radio like a citerzen band radio. works and looks like a citerzen band radio but dose all the ham bands. Reminds me of my days on the citerzen bands befor I started in amateur radio. Well it just works great. The only disavantage is that the maximum power out is only 50 watts. Then again I was 55 in india from South Africa, I think that's 8 to 10 thousand kilometers as the crow flies so one can get out on 50 watts. The Ten Tec Scout is very easy and great fun to use it's a winner. All the best for Ten Tec.

VE5EDE Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2012 11:36 Send this review to a friend
Simple and Effective  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use this radio for mobile, camping and dangerous winter travel. The first time I used it was during a 90 minute highway trip on Field Day with an OPEK HVT 600 mobile antenna. I worked a station about every two minutes, including a VK and a KH from here in Saskatchewan with only 50 watts. If I could hear them, I could work them. And this was all without a noise blanker and S9 ignition noise. Later I added the noise blanker module and suddenly all was quiet. The noise blanker is absolutely essential for comfortable mobile operation.

This radio is quite simple when you view the schematic. The receiver is hot and the band-pass tuning is fantastic. It's a great CW rig and the audio and transmit modulation are excellent on SSB. And for a somewhat "older" radio, it is fairly light and portable.

There is one minor inconvenience which is not serious enough to dock any points. This radio will not operate correctly on a 12v battery alone. Below about 12.8v your transmit frequency will drop several hundred Herz when it is keyed. Start the engine or use a domestic power supply and this problem goes away. It simply needs a little higher regulated voltage.

Ten-Tec is overlooked all too often, and many hams simply don't realize that their products are top-notch designs and that owners are provided with first-rate customer service. The Scout is a radio that should be taken seriously.

73 de VE5EDE