Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Lafayette HA-225 Communications Receiver Help

Reviews Summary for Lafayette HA-225 Communications Receiver
Lafayette HA-225 Communications Receiver Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $119.95
Description: 5 Band Communications Receiver, Built in
Product Detector, Q-Multiplier, 100 kHz
Crystal Calibrator. Voltage Regulator for
BFO & Oscillator Tubes. Separate Filament
Transformer for "Always On" Heaters for
Mixer & Oscillator Tubes.

You can write your own review of the Lafayette HA-225 Communications Receiver.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2019 15:54 Send this review to a friend
I agree, excellent old receivers  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with the first review. I was also a Novice in High School in the early '60s. I started with a simple Hallicrafter S-120 (with a Heath Q-Multiplier).
It was just plain AWFUL. I shoveled a LOT of snow to purchase a new HE-80. I was in hog (ham) heaven the first time I spun those flywheel knobs!

Yes, I know it's not as good as my TS-890 (which has a SWL dial like the old Lafayettes!!), or my Collins receivers, etc, just GREAT memories.

Since I had such fond memories of my HE-80, I now had the $ to acquire all the Lafayette boatanchors I found interesting. Osterman's Book is GREAT!
I have a LOT. Several HA-225s, Flock of HE-80s, several HE-73s, etc.
My LAST purchase was the HE-10. This 'copy' of the S-38 surprises me even today. Nice ones are hard to find, and I waited until I found one that is really, really mint.
Wasn't cheap and it took a couple of decades to find the right one....
My only disappointment was with the HA-350. This radio came out after the HE-80 and I 'thought' it would be MUCH better. Wrong.
I purchased and restored 5 of these and most were a huge disappointment.

Because of the low resale of these radios, they are fun to restore.
Things to keep in mind:
1. replace ALL the gray paper caps. Don't even bother wasting time to test them.
2. usually the .001 caps across the ac line will be blown apart.
3. try to pick a unit that has a rust free chassis
4. CAREFULLY inspect the FRAGILE behind the glass dial markings. I see these all the time with part of one or more scales crooked/missing.

If you're interested, check out my many Reviews here on the Lafayette models.

ron
N4UE
ex-N4KCM

KG7M Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2019 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Rcvr, in the Hands of a Skilled Operator  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the final model in the Lafayette branded, Trio built receivers. Similar to the HE-80, less the FM Mode and includes the 150-400 kHz Longwave Band instead of the 550-1600 kHz Broadcast Band. In addition, the HA-225 adds a separate 6 VAC Filament Transformer to power the Heaters of the Oscillator and Mixer Tubes, even if the receiver is off. The other improvements are a cover over the Main and Bandspread Tuning Capacitors, and a separate module for the BFO.
After recapping(all electrolytic and tubular capacitors are faulty on these receivers - due to age) and performing an alignment, the HA-225 I acquired works great. The Amateur Bands, calibrated on the Bandspread Dial, are dead on. For instance, using the built-in Crystal Calibrator to set the 40m Bandspread Dial to 7.1 mHz, I receive FT8 signals at 7.074 mHz, CW from 7.000 thru 7.050 mHz, and USA LSB Comms from 7.125 up. Everything is where it's supposed to be. The Bandspread Dial is quite accurate, to within 5 to 10 kHz on 40 Meters.
This said, this receiver requires a skilled operator to bring out its best. When receiving LSB, it's best to set the BFO one tick mark left of center. USB is one tick mark right of center. SSB and CW signals require the RF Gain to be backed off, whether the AVC is in or out. Otherwise a strong signal will pull the oscillator. This is inherent in all the Trio built, Lafayette badged communications receivers from the HE-10 in the late 1950's, to the HE-30, HA-230, and HE-80 in the mid 1960's.
Like all the receivers in this series, the HA-225 is Single Conversion. The receiver is well designed and free of images. For the ultimate upgrade, one can attach the Lafayette HE-73 PreCon, Preselector/Converter. This crystal controlled converter converts 20M, 15M, and 10M to 80M. This upgrades the receiver to Double Conversion on these bands. The PreCon also works as a Preselector on 80M-10M.
In the mid 1960's I was a preteen bitten by the Radio Bug. I picked strawberries and raspberries the summer of 1964 hoping to earn enough to purchase one of the Lafayette Receivers I saw in their catalog. I didn't earn enough, so the following summer I acquired a Paper Route. Still not enough so I settled on a Knight Kit Star Roamer. Now, 55 years later I have the Lafayette HE-10, HA-230, HA-225, HE-73 PreCon, and a 99-2502 External BFO(allows the Q-Multiplier to be used on CW/SSB signals on the HA-230).