Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Arrow OSJ Model J146/440 Help

Reviews Summary for Arrow OSJ Model J146/440
Arrow OSJ Model J146/440 Reviews: 172 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Dual-band aluminum j-pole
Wtih better quality SO239 - 3/8-24 Connector. Better Threads and a more precise hole size for the PL259 connection. As of 4-10-05 All OSJ's will have the new connector.
More info: http://www.arrowantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Arrow OSJ Model J146/440.

K0WFS Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2017 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Best built antenna ever!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have probably put together 50 antennas over the last 40 years, most for other hams, but I can honestly say this one is the best ones ever made in terms of mechanical quality.

The RF performance is also excellent. It seems to have a relatively low take-off angle, and it perfect for local ops on a few watts, or regional simplex on higher power.

Tim the owner is very responsive via email and I cannot imagine any better support for a modestly priced antenna like the OSJ.

KB1GMX Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2017 15:52 Send this review to a friend
one tough antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two. Both over a decade old.

One is on the top of 35 ft tower and mast and has never failed me. if the SWR ever rizes I'll assume the coax has given up first.

The other is Emcom/FD kit and has been used and tossed around. Nothing hurts it.

Both antennas have SWR in the FM repeater range for both VHF and UHF that is under 1.7:1 at the band edges with a short low loss cable (10ft 9913).

I have several other antennas made by Arrow Antenna, good products then and now and stellar service.

N8NN Rating: 2/5 May 18, 2017 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality Control  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
One 3/8" hole was not threaded. I had to drill and file the hole to mount the element. The manufacturing process needs better quality control. I am not able to measure the SWR. It works.

N0TES Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2016 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for my office  Time owned: more than 12 months
This seemed like the logical antenna choice for my office. I propped it up inside against the window and tested the SWR. It was below 2:1 on 2M & 440, so I hooked up my HT. I was able to now hit the many repeaters around the area. Something that I could not do with my little Yaesu or Icom HT. The antenna also has enabled me to scan the local action on non-ham bands with my HT. I'd buy it again!

VE3IPS Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2016 18:16 Send this review to a friend
A Solid Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Arrow does all the hard work for you in building a solid J pole antenna that will survive the winter in Canada.

I just bought it, threw it up on a antenna mast and connected my coax. SWR was fine and I was making contacts with no fuss.

This has also become the antenna of choice for an ARES Go Kit.

KH6DAN Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2016 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Economic American Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of the these j poles. Making a 2 meter 440 out of copper tubing is fun, but you have to have all of the tools and equipment. IE tube cutter, hacksaw, propane, solder, connector, wire etc. This product will have you on 2 meters and 440 right out of the box. For our radio club we bought the ten pack and only charged the actual cost so 10 folks (mostly new hams) could have a inexpensive, well built, solid antenna, without having to build their own. I have spray painted these antennas the same color as the house when I lived in a CCR development. These antennas are a great value. Not sure why a small group have had some problems. These have worked flawlessly for me and many of fellow hams I know. I've used them on simplex, through repeaters, with mobile radios, and with a external duplexer with my Kenwood TS-2000. Schweeeet.

K5ACL Rating: 1/5 Feb 19, 2016 07:19 Send this review to a friend
Upgraded to a dual band vertical and haven't looked back  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the Arrow dual band j pole in hopes that I'd be able to get on VHF/UHF from an HOA perspective. First I tried the antenna in the attic, and was able to hit a few 2m repeaters, then I bolted to antenna to the roof outside, no change in performance. Was unable to even get anyone on simplex living in a major metropolitan area, I thought I'd at least be able to get someone a few miles away. It was great for checking in to the local repeater, and the construction is really solid. I'd save your money though, and go for an antenna like the GP-3 or X-30 or X-50 which all take up the same kind of similar footprint, but provide much better results. I've since had the chance to try the X-30 & GP-3 that were lent to me by a fellow ham, and I can finally have fun on VHF/UHF again. Full quieting on all channels, and I'm getting picked up on simplex all over the place!

I was using a 75 foot lead of LMR400 from the shack on all of these antennas. I wouldn't recommend the j pole to someone who is just getting in to the hobby or if your in an HOA situation. Look into another type of antenna, or you'll probably be disappointed like I was.

K2RWF Rating: 1/5 Jan 25, 2016 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Ok on VHF, terrible on UHF  Time owned: more than 12 months
As others have described here, this thing has issues with UHF. SWR is all over the place. And as others have testified here, the owner always blames the coax. Coax is fine, tested against a dummy load, as well as with other antennas, including my SlimJim.

Once the snow thaws, this thing is coming down and getting replaced with a Comet.

W4SEX Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2015 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Can't be beat  Time owned: more than 12 months
Perfect 1:1 match and was quickly thrown in the attic so that I could operate in my heated garage in the winter. I have been getting great signal reports ever since. I wondered what antenna my friend was using and I knew he was a long way from the repeater. After finding out that his was hanging in a tree, that's all I needed to know . I was sold on the design.

VA3LIP Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2015 10:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent !!!   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had to get one reading reviews on eHam.net and I am a Happy Camper, it has excellent Rx and Tx. I am in Brampton (Canada), some 30 Kms North of Toronto. In an apartment building facing North, I am able to talk directly to a Repeater in Buffalo (USA), at least 100 Km South of me, maybe more. And the antenna is inside my small sunroom.

I don't think anyone who buys it will be disappointed, this is Performance touching excellence.