Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu Quadra VL-1000
Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 Reviews: 85 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $4000
Description: Solid-state, automated 1 kW HF/6m linear amplifier
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/vl1000.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu Quadra VL-1000.

K6BRN Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2019 02:59 Send this review to a friend
No fuss - Just GOES  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's hard to criticize an amplifier that simply works, and works well. But I'll try.

It's a bit heavy, requires being turned on in a specific sequence (MASTER which I just leave ON, POWER SUPPLY, then AMP), when used with non-Yaesu rigs it requires pushing a single button to "auto-sense" and move to the correct frequency (but follows band moves like a pupply on a leash with Yaesu rigs), it is only rated at 1,000 watts (but is really designed for 1,200 max). Hmmm. Let me see. That's about it. No, wait... the manual is obtuse and incomplete - but plenty of on-line info. Pretty much normal for Yaesu.

ON the PLUS side, it's never quit, never done ANYTHING bad and just works, in a very predictable and nearly invisible way. I've had mine for four years and have used it with FTDX-1200, -3000 and FT-991 radios, all Yaesu. The antennas range from a Cushcraft/MFJ A3S (now DEAD) Mosley TA-33-MW/40M (working just fine), to a an EFHW-8010-2K (great to fill in the band gaps on the Mosley), to a Comet CHA-250B (really is at its best on 60M without an amp). The amp handles them all, and the occasional "I forgot to change the ALPHA DELTA antenna switch!" brainfart without a single issue.

Also on the positive side... It has two separate and switchable exciter input ports and two control ports to go with them. It has FOUR switchable antenna output ports. The built-in servo-motor driven tuner is roller inductor/capacitor based and seem to handle all of my antenna across their respective bands without trouble. The VL-1000 amp also has full and half-power settings plus a 3db input attenuator that allows dialing down power while leaving the amp in-line. I thought these were gimmicks but found both features to be very useful. BTW, the amp runs FT8 and RTTY just fine, even far, far beyond the recommended 500W RTTY limit. Read the ARRL review. This puppy is overbuilt. I LIKE that!

In a pinch, it CAN run off oc 120VAC. Do NOT recomment that, though. You'll need to throttle output back to about 500W.

This amp is also pretty quiet. Yep - at 1KW+ out on SSB some microphonics can be heard from it. But this does not affect output signal quality. And you'd better have pretty good hearing to notice it.

Overall, this is a tried and true design that has stood up to the test of time, even in rhyme. :)

How could it be improved? Well, if it was the size if a lunch box, weighed 10 lbs soaking wet, ran off of 120VAC at 1,500 watts out, then yeah... there is room to do better. And in quite a few ways, the new LDMOS designs ARE doing better. But this puppy does the job, looks great, is reliable as can be, is perched quite happily on Aunt Ednas old end table in the corner of my "shack" and has no bad habits that I've been annoyed by. So it stays.

I'd never take it on an expedition of any type - the amp/PS combo weighs in at 80 lbs! But that's just not a big deal to me. I have a nice little KPA-500/KAT-500 for that.

Is a Yaesu Quadra/VL-1000/VP-1000 in your future? That's up to you. Have fun!

Best Regards,

Brian - K6BRN

VA7OJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2018 21:18 Send this review to a friend
20th "birthday!"  Time owned: more than 12 months
20 years old and still going strong! My Quadra is now set up for two exciters, IC-7610 and IC-7300. At this rate, the Quadra could well outlast me.

73, Adam VA7OJ/AB4OJ

KD1MA Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2018 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Good amp but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an older one also. Just had to have the in rush resistors replaced (thank you N4ATS) when the power came back on after a 3 day storm outage. However, I think the Rig Experts have a much superior amp but it is a bit pricey. I'll keep mine until it gives up for good.

N4MIT Rating: 4/5 May 5, 2018 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Old but still good  Time owned: more than 12 months
This amp is nearly 20 yrs old. The technology has passed it by long ago but it still works and it works very well. Yes it has 8 old MRF-150 MOS in it and the power supply does talk back to you sometimes, but I get well over 1200w solid key down, high duty cycle, clean RF and that's good in my book. Reliable? well its nearly 20yrs old so, I'd say yeah.

I wish Yaesu would redesign the venerable old VL-1000 to match the newer rigs. The Orange dot matrix display is plain ugly and outdated.

Would I buy a brand new one? I'm not sure, $4500 is a lot of money for 20yr old technology. Redesign it with LDMOS, a new supply, updated tuner and a color touch screen and you bet I would.

That being said... I would still buy a used one in a heartbeat. The Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 is a solid amp in spite of its age.

K9SO Rating: 0/5 Jan 18, 2018 15:37 Send this review to a friend
Power supply failed again: third time  Time owned: more than 12 months
The inrush resistors in the power supply failed for the third time. They lasted a bit over 3 years this time but Yaesu denies that they have a problem. See my description of their design problem in the review below. I am running the amplifier via a step down transformer at only 217 volts. Yaesu engineers designed this thing for 220VAC which is the standard voltage in Japan, not the 240VAC used here. USA 240VAC will damage this amplifier. Their service techs have admitted that to me. Apparently 217VAC only slows the failure down though. The inrush resistors are severely overstressed if the power supply is accidentally plugged in when the power switch is ON. Or when you have a power failure like I did just now.
The resistors are buried deep inside the power supply and it requires major surgery to replace them. I will fix it and then sell it to one of you who think this power supply / amplifier is so good.

VA7OJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2017 23:49 Send this review to a friend
19 years old and still chugging along  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Quadra has now been in my station for 19 years, and is still operating flawlessly. The current exciter is an IC-7300, with an IC-7610 soon to follow. I use the simple "Band Data 2" interface.

I believe strongly that the Quadra is one of the best solid-state HF/6m amplifiers currently on the amateur market.

W9CAR Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2017 10:11 Send this review to a friend
ABSOLUTELY BULLET PROOF !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this amp along with my Yaesu FTDX-5000MP in February 2005. Since then, I have not had any problems with the amp or rig at all. I have been on the air for almost 60 years and this thing is really bulletproof !! Every once in a while it will stop me dead in my tracks by not responding to a command. I have learned how to understand what it is telling me when that happens ! It simply says check your settings you idiot! And every time it makes me laugh at myself because EVERY TIME I failed to set something right! This is the most perfect rig & amp I have ever owned bar NONE !!

WD9IDV Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2017 08:47 Send this review to a friend
16 Years and Still Working Perfectly!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well what can I say that I have not said before. Sixteen years since original purchase and still in use almost everyday. I run mine at 1100-1250 watts on occasions with no issues. Normally its run at the 1000 watts. SSTV at 1KW no issues.

I use a Tripp Lite Isobar 4-Outlet 200-240V surge protector, and I think this helps with longevity...hopefully.

Factor original cost and amortize in 16 plus years, and thats a pretty good deal.

KG5ABW Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2017 05:40 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AMP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have now had the Quadra now for 3 years and it is working fine with a buck boost. No problems here.

K6RMJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2017 08:03 Send this review to a friend
best solid state amp in existance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this amp for 4 years. Not a bit of trouble. My own opinion there is a solid state amp that is as easy to set up as this one.Fully automatic. I just wish Yeasu would come out with a 2 KW solid state amp. I would buy it in a flash.
K6RMJ,