Reviews Categories | Microphones for ham radio | Yaesu MD-200 Hi-Fi Desktop Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu MD-200 Hi-Fi Desktop Microphone
Yaesu MD-200 Hi-Fi Desktop Microphone Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$399.00
Description: Yaesu Newest Desktop Microphone, Hi-Fi
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu MD-200 Hi-Fi Desktop Microphone.

ZL3GVR Rating: 4/5 Apr 3, 2018 23:53 Send this review to a friend
Good when taken considerations into account.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this microphone for several years now and I carefully read all the reviews of this microphone to see if there is anything worth saying mainly because it has not been written or because I feel I just have to add something that might be worthwhile for a potential buyer. And I think there are a few points to make:

1> The microphone has a spec of being 600 Ohm. When measuring the cartridge however it shows an impedance (1000Hz) of close to 50 ohms and when measured at the plug that goes into the rig, mine showed close to 5000 Ohm. Mind you, that is with the “hidden” switch that many write about in the B position. Funny that when you switch it to the A position the microphone indeed all of a sudden shows a 600 Ohm impedance at 1000Hz. Most likely this is achieved by selecting another = the 600 Ohm winding tab on the transformer.

2> Above will explain why so many report a different experience as the widely varying input impedances of rigs (in particular comparing older and newer ones) will have just that effect based on capacitive loading etc.

3> A microphone of this price level made for Hams should have that clearly explained in the manual.

4> Hams are not in the HiFi business and our rigs stop at 3000Hz most of the time so the extra range is hardly a sales argument. For the low we can say similar things as we waste a lot of energy by pumping anything below 150 Hz into the airwaves. So forget about the frequency response. You will almost always prefer a good hump around 2000Hz while the low climbs up from 100Hz to 1000Hz with some 10 Db as seen in so many graphs of a popular D104 Astatic communication microphone.

5> The impedance transformation (because that is actually what happens in this microphone) between 50 odd Ohm (cartridge) and 600 Ohm (plug to radio) is done in a transformer which has shielding but not to a degree that I would have liked for my use of this microphone. For the money they could have done a better job here.

6> As an example, above point 5 made it impossible for me to use this microphone within 50cm distance from an Ameritron AL811HD amplifier. The strong magnetic field of the Ameritron amplifier induced a clear hum into the microphone transformer and subsequently to the plug. This was clearly audible in the monitor even though in many cases the rig won’t transmit it or the station at the other end might not hear it. However, I found it very annoying. Especially knowing that my Kenwood MC60 microphone was still “dead” still at that distance while delivering the same audio output level.

When I received the microphone and hooked it up to my FT950 the nice LED indicating the transmit mode did not come on and the audio had strong distortion especially when processor mode was selected. The Led issues had already been written about in conjunction with the FT950. It took me an hour or so to find a fix for it but I was successful to clear that issue.Actually both problems were solved by one fix.

So after all that, I can say that it is a well build microphone with good looks. Mechanically I only find the PTT and lock switches a bit flimsy for an otherwise sturdy piece of equipment.

In the 600 Ohm mode it matches perfectly my radio and the EQplus. Audio is great but need not be that expensive. And when comparing many microphones directly with the MD200 it often becomes a choice between good and good, leaving personal taste and your own voice characteristics to make the decision which microphone is best for you.
So if you like this microphone for the looks, and the solid build and the money is not an issue, then you won’t be disappointed because the audio is just great. But only if you make sure you match it to your rig. And be aware of hum pick up in strong magnetic fields. Many microphones perform better here but not all.

I give it a 3 out of 5. One point down for the pricing and one point down for not documenting the impedance setting and selling it as 600 Ohm while it was 5000 and with a transformer that picks up too much hum from my Ameritron.

However,if you want to give it 5 out of 5, that’s fine with me as well because I have already forgotten about the price and the modification leaves nothing to be desired except for the hum pick up, which is in many cases not going to happen due to distance from sources of magnetic inductance. Take your pick!

So after all that....... on my desk it's a 4 out of 5 now!

KX7P Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2017 22:26 Send this review to a friend
SUPERB AUDIO & LOOKS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my MD-200 for about 8 years and I've tested it extensively on HF and compared it with my MD-100 microphone using my Yaesu FT 9000, 5000, 2000, 897d and 857d transceivers. Although the MD 100 perform excellent, the MD-200 had a noticeable improvement to the quality of my audio as judged with on the air testing with people who know my voice. I must admit the purchase price is high, but the performance, construction quality, and appearance of this microphone justify that cost. It's a beautiful complement to your modern Yaesu station. Tim KX7P

W8IDL Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2016 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having read some of the negative eHam reviews, I was hesitant to purchase this microphone. Finally bought that FTdx5000 Limited though, and thought it was time to upgrade the microphone. I bought the Yaesu MD200a8x, connected it to the radio, and it works like a champ! The volume was equal to the Yaesu MD100 so no problem there. I left it in the factory "flat" internal setting in the microphone and used the radio to tailor the audio response curve I wanted.

One really cool feature is a big red transmit LED just below the mic screen. This microphone is well constructed, performs well, and looks great! I am very happy I bought this for my new 5000: it is a keeper!

KH6TA Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2015 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Awesome sound, a "keeper"!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This mic blows the MH31 hand mic away! I prefer using a hand mic (easier), but DX calls get answered with this one! It is on the pricey side, but worth the $$$

ON4MHO Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2014 01:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this mic for several months now and all I can say is wowww! Beautiful design, rugged, excellent audio, a really nice addition to the shack. Just a little compression and I am often complimented about my audio. A real keeper.

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2013 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Super  Time owned: more than 12 months
It looks super and also works just as good as it looks

Used with my FT-897D, all functions work as they should.

No need for an adaptor cable, as the lead is reversible so i can use the modular or circular connector - Genius

A little pricy, but very unique and worth the investment

SV1QOT Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2013 13:37 Send this review to a friend
AMAZING!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great mic,
Design,sound,settings.
I combined with my yaesu ft -950.

GOEDK Rating: 4/5 Feb 14, 2013 02:52 Send this review to a friend
Overpriced glamour piece  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the MD-1 which I use with my FT950, I have been given great reports which for $60 second hand is ok, I had the chance of the MD 200 for the same price so I did a side by side test with local hams, "they sound exactly the same", so not wanting two mics I gave it back. Maybe I should have kept it as a spare, but I am on here to give a report, and I recon the Mike is way over priced-like everything!!

N2FSU Rating: 4/5 Nov 16, 2012 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic with Modifications  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Mic for my FT-847 about a year ago. I love the retro look of the mic. I use my 847 for HF as well as VHF/UHF FM. On HF I had great audio reports using the Mic, however on FM the reports were that my audio was low even with the mic gain turned all the way up. To fix that, I bought a 3 wire electret condenser microphone element which was easy to add as the second mic element. Now while on FM I am told that the mic has the best fidelity of any other mic I have ever used. The only other complaint with the mic I have is that to access the low cut switch you have to completely dismantle the base of the microphone. To fix that I de-soldered the switch from the current location and re-soldered it to the opposite side of the same board. Then I cut a small hole in the bottom cover of the microphone. Now I can get to the low cut easily. I know I rated the mic a 4 out of 5, but since I have done all these mods I easily rate this mic a 5++.

W9KDX Rating: 4/5 Feb 24, 2012 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Good, but needs some tweaking.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, I read a number of old reviews stating that there was too much bass and that there was a "secret" switch on the back of the circuit board in the base that needed to be reset to "B". This is still the case. For me, this mike still has too much base. Possibly, bass response is hard to do and the manufacturer felt a Hi Fidelity mike would be one with more bass than the rest. In any case, I needed to adjust the ring around the element to the 7 o'clock position as well as significantly roll off base response in my transceiver to get what I felt was a realistic response. At that point, the audio was excellent; crisp and clear.

From my perspective, the fit and materials are worth $100. The quality of the element and the adjustments are another $100. Yaesu charges another $100 just to get their name and a match for their other products and the last $70 is just an overcharge. However, it looks like nothing else I can find. If you like this look, you will love this mike. Just do your best to forget how much you will have to spend.