Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ACOM 1000 Help

Reviews Summary for ACOM 1000
ACOM 1000 Reviews: 189 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $3250 USD
Description: HF+6M Linear Amplifier

The ACOM 1000 HF Linear Amplifier is the world's best value in an amateur HF amplifier. The ACOM 1000 gives you a comfortable 1000 watts output on all amateur bands from 160 through 6 meters.
Power Output: 1000W PEP or continuous carrier, no mode limit. Uses single 4CX800A (GU74B)
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com/home.html

You can write your own review of the ACOM 1000.

W9GDH Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2018 16:06 Send this review to a friend
NEW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not much more to say than has been said all ready.
The only thing that could be improved on the ACOM 1000 is minor. The hash marks on the power led display, 200w,300w 400w, 500w ECT could be twice as high. Hard to read. Sent this to CEO at ACOM. He was passing it on the Engineering Department.
Bottom line: THE ONLY WAY TO HURT THIS AMP, IS WITH A HAMMER.

N9CHM Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2018 02:43 Send this review to a friend
Probably the best 160M-6M amp on the Market, IMHO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently built a 4 element MOXON for 6M, and my Alpha band-pass tune amp doesn't work there. I reluctantly sold the 374A Alpha in search of a 160-6M amp (the best amp I've owned in over 40yrs on the air, until now!). It came down to a solid state no-tune amp listed as 1200W (major brand name), or the ACOM 1000. Three things led me to the ACOM.

1) I checked reviews here on eHAM, and apparently they are still having technical issues with the 1200W solid state amp which now covers 160M-6M and has been out for 4 years. 5 of 31 reports indicate this SS amp had to been sent back for repairs, including 2 reports just last month (July '18), so reliability isn't there yet (4.3/5). The earlier model of this SS amp (160M-10M) has been out 9 years with numerous issues over the years (3.9/5 overall). In comparison, the ACOM has no recurring issues after 16 yrs and 187 reports (4.9/5), although 2 had bad diodes in the PS when they were first made, over 15 yrs ago. The ACOM factory in Bulgaria, also made the Alpha 91B, the amp is very well made by skilled techs and it shows.

2) The ACOM has a broadband input circuit so the rig always sees a perfect SWR match, regardless of the antenna SWR (this prevents RF power fold back which is common with modern radios seeing less than a perfect SWR match). Solid state amps are very finicky when it comes to anything above a perfect match. The ACOM also has a broadband output so the amp can delivery 1KW into a 3:1 SWR (or higher if the reflected power stays below 300W), so I no longer need an external tuner, as my antennas are band specific, and any ice build up can be handled by the amp. As many have found out, the 1200W amp I compared with, needs to work into very low SWR antennas, certainly under 1.5:1 to maybe 2:1 before RF power fold back occurs (as well as the automatic protection circuity kicking the amp off line). So unless you have perfect antennas for your operating frequency, expect to need an external antenna tuner with most solid states amps (several do have tuners built in, at a higher cost).

3) And finally I found a list of 32 amplifier QST technical specs which showed that the ACOM 1000 was #1 when looking at 3 specs; spurious harmonic suppression (3rd harmonic worst case) as well as the 3rd and 5th order IMDs, and just ranking by transmit 3rd order IMD the ACOM 1000 is #4 out of 32 overall (Alpha 8100 = #1, Ameritron AL800H = #2, Alpha 91B = #3). The ACOM's transmit 3rd order IMD was 7 db better than the 1200W solid state amp (-44 for the ACOM and -37 for the other) and ACOM's 5th order IMD was 15 db better (-55 for the ACOM and -40 db for the other). The 1200W solid state amp finished in the lower half of the 32 amps tested (18th place out of 32). https://www.remeeus.eu/hamradio/pa1hr/productreview.pdf In other words, the transmit signal for the ACOM 1000 is extremely clean and only takes 45-60W drive (SSB) from my FLEX to get 1KW+ output (1200W out with 60W in, but there is really no need for the extra 200W, IMHO), which also helps to keep the signal clean. This probably explains some of the rough SSB signals I've heard (and seen on the FLEX Panadapter/waterfall, it's amazing what you can see on transmitted signals) with people using solid state amps and driving it too hard to get 1200W (or more) output!

At least for me, the ACOM is the winner, and the 4CX800A tubes are still plentiful (after all they are still selling the amp) and at a reasonable cost (NOS tubes can be purchased from Array Solutions, they are thoroughly tested). Array Solutions also does excellent service on the ACOM amps, should you ever need it. Tuning the ACOM is a snap, takes less than 10 seconds, and once you have the presets, even less time than that! The ACOM 1000 is a very quiet Kilowatt amp which is very solidly built and has been designed for an exceptionally clean output signal.

DH4AAD Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2018 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Vy effective PA  Time owned: more than 12 months
I do like ACOM 1000 today as well as some years ago. I prefer ACOM 1000 to any others. I do like PAs on single tubes very much. ++
Me gusta mucho ACOM 1000.

W0XX Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2018 00:16 Send this review to a friend
Good Amp!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had mine for a while and like that it is "idiot" proof to load up, no peak and dip, just pay attention to the TRI indicator. Mine from the outset never read the output power or drive power correctly, and don't know how to set it. I have to drive it with about 70-75 to get 1K out. Not sure if that is correct, but I usually run it a bit lower. Not real happy some functions (readings) are not to spec but I suppose I can live with it. Quiet amp, and nice to have 160-6 meter capability.

SA3AYF Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2018 14:29 Send this review to a friend
Bullet AND idiot proof...!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this beauty in september 2017, as I was aiming for the SAC and CQ WW contests.
Knowing I was to be "one-handed" during these two contests due to hand surgery, I was looking for an easy to operate amplifier.
It is a delight to operate (even more so with two hands, Hi!).

The built in protective circuits are absolute bullet and idiot proof!
And I think I have tried them all...
That includes sever mismatch, wrong antenna for the wrong band, no antenna, shorted output connection, open circuit on output, well, name it and I have probably tried it.
All when operating one-handed with right hand packed in plaster and during hectic contest conditions.
Every time the amp has stopped and in plain text told me what I have screwed up on.
Great!

And when operating it normally, it is a delight to use.
Very quick tune up, you canīt go wrong if you look at the display and the TRI-indicator.
The fan is IMHO, compared to my old Ameritron, unbeliveably quiet.
As far as power the amp easily puts out the rated power with lots to spare with only 50W of driving power from my IC-7600.
It can be preassured to give about 1200W pep, but that is pushing the tube and power supply a bit heavy.
Looking at the spectral purity using a R&S spectrum analyzer, the rated 1kW is absolutely clean and exceeds the figures stated by manufacturer.
Very good indeed!

In short; you canīt go wrong with this amp. If you find a tube amp that is easier to use, more reliable and with more "bang for the buck", you must be joking.
They are often a real bargain on the used market and the tube is still very much in production and easy to obtain.
Lots of NOS tubes from the Svetlana plant are also abundant on the market so no worries there for at least one decade.
If you are looking for reliable power, this is the thing !
73//

WA2FZB Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2018 05:09 Send this review to a friend
Great amplifier and easy to tune,  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got back on the air in 2016 after a long period of inactivity. There were some pieces of equipment on the market that captured my interest right away. One such piece was the ACOM 1000 amplifier. I really liked it, but it was just a bit beyond my budget, so I settled for a used Ameritron AL-80a, which worked just fine and really improved my DX and contesting results. Still, I longed for that ACOM 1000. Sometime after the 2018 ARRL DX contest, a fellow FRC member listed his ACOM 1000 for sale at a really good price. It was about 10 years old but had been lightly used, serving as a backup for his larger ACOM 2000. I just could not pass it up, so I grabbed it, just in time for CQ WPX SSB.

At first I was concerned about switching to an amplifier with a lot of protective circuitry in it. I had visions of it shutting down repeatedly in a major contest every time the VSWR on the antenna rose above 2:1. This turned out not to be a problem. The ACOM 1000 protective circuitry does not disable the amplifier unless something is seriously wrong, or I do something really stupid, like transmitting on the wrong antenna or trying to drive the amplifier with the exciter set to a different band. A 3:1 VSWR is not a problem at all, and the amplifier will just keep plugging along, silently making a kilowatt of clean RF.

Note that i said "silently". This is one of my favorite things about this amplifier. It makes no sound. The fan is almost imperceptible, and there are no noisy T-R relays. In fact, the only indication that it is working is gobs of power on the output display. A red "Transmit" LED would not have been a bad idea, but I am getting along just fine without it. The best thing about this amplifier is how easy it is to tune up. I had forgotten how nice a grid driven tetrode amplifier tunes up during the time I was using a grounded grid 3-500. You only have to tune this one once, thanks to the ingenious TRI system, which takes you to the proper load setting regardless of drive. This is really a great feature.

Another great thing about this amplifier is the input circuit. It is a big 50 ohm resistor. This means that your exciter always sees a perfect match. The value of this design feature is immeasurable. If your radio is always seeing a load that it is happy with, then chances are your amplifier will be happy as well, being driven by a clean signal. Also the tube is a rugged GU-74 type from Russia, which are both affordable and available, something that cannot be said for many other tubes these days. And since it is a single tube amplifier, you will only need one if replacement becomes necessary.

All in all, my ACOM 1000 has become one of my favorite pieces of gear in the shack. I have found that about 60 watts of drive will deliver a nominal kilowatt of output on all HF bands. I have not tried it on 6 meters so I cannot say what the output would be on that band, but the fact that this amplifier covers 160 through 6 meters is just another thing that makes it great.

There is really nothing negative about this amplifier. If I could add anything to it would be the "Transmit" LED, and maybe a set of gear reduction drives for the tune and load controls. But that is about it, other than that, this is a perfect choice for a kilowatt amplifier, and I would recommend it without hesitation. If you are in the market for a manual tune kilowatt amplifier, the ACOM 1000 should be at the top of your list. If you buy this amp you will not regret it.

Tony WA2FZB

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2018 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Real Nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Am Blessed now to have 3 ACOM amplifiers, the ACOM1000 being the latest.
Why ACOM because they work well in a lot of ways for me. First they put out rated output easily, second tuning is easy an repeatable, tuch up is easy if needed, they run very quite, an when there is a long keyup on my end, an unkey Its still quite in the room an I hear ever word of the incoming signal, I Rag Chew in the early morning these days, an the ACOM 1000 fits the bill in spades. An as I am getting older, think there safety devices in there amplifiers may come into play more, an I maybe able to stay on the air much longer.....................73s.........kb6hrt

W3HKK Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2017 06:35 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Background: One day before the CQWWSSBContest my existing amp ( 18 yr old TenTec Centurion) hiccupped. Not a major problem but an issue in the ALC caused the rf output to go to zero. (negative Ig current). The local tech is great, but as befits a great tech he is backed up for months. Not wanting to go through this 160m season amp-less, the xyl offered to help with the purchase of a new amp. After doing a quick price vs benefit analysis, and factoring in the"suggestion" that I definitely go "new", I chose the A1000. Another major factor is it is sold here in Ohio by DXEngineering. They provide great service, service and preinspect this amp, and have become my go-to place for most ham purchases.

I ordered the amp on a Sat, knowing it was a manual amp, reviewed in QST's Nov 2002 issue! So it has been around a while ( which makes these reviews quite comprehensive.) It arrived Tues, and was operational Wed.

First impressions: Sleek, black cabinet that matched my IC7600, TT high power antenna tuner, and Dell computer colors.

It was easy to hook up, had protection up the wazzoo, and was rated a 4.9 on here. How could I go wrong? ( I especially liked others' comments about how fool-proof it is to operator error.)

Another important factor was the ability to load into 2+:1 swr antennas. I didn't believe it but had bought the TT 238C high power tuner when I acquired my Centurion amp 4 years ago, just in case.

First job was to load up this manual amp at reduced power into all 8 of my antennas, many of which had 1.2:1 swrs at resonance, but several had around 2:1 swrs. (Note: The amp came ready to go on 12 and 10 meters-despite the manual saying otherwise, although at times you may have to go fishing for rf output beyond the recommended Load and Tune settings in the manual.)

I built my Tuning Chart at all frequencies I operate the most. No problem. Even with a couple of swr's in the 2.1 to 2.4 range. I checked the reflected power a few times and saw as little as 0 watts reflected, running 900w.

For the past few days Ive been a happy DXer, changing bands as necessary to work the 3L1 on 160 and 40m, the VK9's on 30, 20, and 17m, the ZD7 on 40, KC4 on 20m, etc.

Plus it now gives me 500w on 6m. I do get an arc-fault at power closer to 1000w, which I believe to be an antenna or coax issue. ( Ive read a few others who have had arc-fault shut-downs eventually tracing it down to an issue with their coax or PL259's. Apparently the ACOM senses fluctuating rf levels and identify them as "arc-fault" and shuts down the amp output. You can restore "operate" and try again after taking corrective action ( ie lowering power, changing to the right antenna, etc.)

All tolled, I am very pleased to operate on 160-6 with few if any issues.

SA3AYF Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2017 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Abolutely great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To start with, I already have 2 other amps that works well with about the same output.
I picked this one up at a bargain price trough an ad on one of the many popular selling sites.

I knew from other hams that it was supposedly a good amp.
They were wrong, it is a FANTASTIC amp!

I have just finished the SAC SSB contest as a first trial of the amp.
Due to temporarily having my right hand in a cast, the whole operation was done one-handed...
As a result I have mistuned it, keyed it with no antenna, keyed at full power with the wrong antenna, wrong setting of bandswitch and all other abuse I can think of.
As they should, the protective circuits tripped and told me, in plain text, what ever the problem was.
Built as a tank, it seems indestructible at this point.

Tuning wth the TRI-display is a breeze.
You simply cant go wrong!

Ok, so what could be better?
Well the fan IS noisy at full steam, but that can be fixed.

I would recommend this amp to anyone, anywhere.
A keeper in my shack !

M1KMC Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2017 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Previous Amp was the Kenwood TL-922, it was ok but a few problems you associate with an older piece of kit, A small windfall resulted in a new Acom 1000 facelift model, and wow its so much more than an amp, great on tuning with the TRI indicator, and also more importantly it has so many fail safe protection functions in it, recently a trap on my MA5B went faulty and the Amp shut down sensing the fault before I had even noticed...As someone else mentioned do not dither about just go for it...
If I had one moan it is that it does not have more than one Ant socket, unlike the 1500,2100, etc