Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig Satellit 800 Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig Satellit 800
Grundig Satellit 800 Reviews: 67 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $699.95
Description: The Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium gives you the ultimate in features, performance, convenience, and sound. It's incredibly powerful. Technologically sophisticated. Yet easy and intuitive to use. Whether you're an experienced shortwave listener or a newcomer to the world of international broadcasting, this is the radio to get. Your ordinary shortwave receiver doesn't have features like:

Synchronous detection to improve the purity of shortwave and AM reception. This helps clarify fading signals and reduce interference from adjacent frequencies.
AGC- Automatic Gain Control. The onboard microprocessor monitors signal strength, adjusting gain up or down to compensate for atmospheric and other conditions. It's like an onboard radio engineer. Choose either fast or slow AGC mode.
Excellent sensitivity and selectivity. The Satellit 800 Millennium receives stations most radios can't, including weak daytime shortwave signals.
Three built-in bandwidths for shortwave, using electronically switched IF filters: 6.0, 4.0 and 2.3 KHz.
You aren't limited to shortwave signals. The Satellit 800 Millennium is the ultimate portable AM/FM radio, too. Enjoy FM stereo with headphones. Listen to the VHF aircraft band from 118 to 137 MHz. Many of the same advanced features which enhance shortwave broadcasts do the same for AM reception, too. Listen to distant AM stations at night without fading. Pick out those weak stations on adjacent frequencies.

Enjoy legendary Grundig audio quality from the 4" built-in dynamic speaker. Adjust the sound with bass and treble controls - tailor it to your room or your taste.

You can write your own review of the Grundig Satellit 800.

KE5BGE Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2007 04:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Bang for the Buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this Grundig 800 brand new from Universal back in December 2004 and it really opened up the shortwave freqencies for me and brought in a new world. I am very satisfied with the audio speaker and am kind of surprised by it's "big sound". In fact it's much better then the Sounds Sweet speaker I have attached to my Yaesu 920. The 800 has ease of operation with simplistic ergonomics. Nice big digital numbers on the display and a faily good analog S meter. I really like the many antenna connections in the back of the unit which gives you all the options that you would need for any kind of antenna you may wish to use. I have mine attached to a 140 foot longwire which gives exceptional worldwide coverage.
I'm just like the previous reviewer; I enjoy sitting out on the patio with this big receiver in the late afternoons and tuning in to the world while enjoying a few drinks and grilling some meat and watching the mockingbirds play in the backyard. It will definitely eat batteries like candies. So, I bought some 11500 Accupower NiMH rechargable batteries from Thompson which last 5 times longer then regular batteries. That cured the problem. I plan to enjoy this receiver for many years to come. Knowing that Universal Radio backs it gives me some piece of mind if anything were to break down. Its a great receiver in that price range and with it's receiving capabilities and portability it really is is a good deal for any SWL hobbiest.

WI0H Rating: 4/5 Dec 1, 2006 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Very Enjoyable Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Grun-Drake Satellit 800 is one of those quirky "little" radios that I don't know how I got along with for so long. No, it isn't perfect. It's big, it's heavy, the audio quality isn't what I would expect from a Grundig, and the quality control is somewhere south of abysmal. This radio is something that my R8 is not though, and that is fun! I would never consider taking my R8 outside and setting it up on the deck while I fire up the grill, but the 800 has made the trip many a time. It's kind of cool to sit outside with your friends while eating steak and listening to Radio Australia. Well, fun for me at least. :)

Let's not underestimate the performance of this rig either. For all practical purposes, this is a Drake SW-8 in a much bigger package. It has a decent selection of filters, an excellent synch detector, and is plenty sensitive. It's sideband performance is outstanding, and have listened to many programs on the AFRTS outlets with no listener fatigue whatsoever. best of all, it comes in a package ready to accept a wide range of antenna inputs that's battery operated. Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing it all put back into the SW-8 package, but this will have to do for the time being.

A note on the quality control issue. I bought mine from Universal as a refurbed unit and I haven't had any issues. From what I understand, these rigs were sent to Drake to be tested before going to Universal where they are tested again before getting shipped out. That's a pretty good lemon filter in my mind. it certainly seemed to work for me at least.

So there it is: a nice performing radio in a package that's twice as big as it needs to be. Fun to operate, and lugging it around will get you into shape a lot faster and cheaper than a membership at the gym. A Trans-Oceanic for the digital age.

W8GND Rating: 2/5 Oct 21, 2006 08:14 Send this review to a friend
A not so good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 800 about 3 years ago as "refurbished." I hooked it up, and was immediately not impressed. The "glorious audio" that others talk about just isn't in the one I have. It isn't bad audio, but there is precious little bass.

However, that isn't my real problem. This radio has real problems above about 14 mhz. I can't put my finger on it. It's sort of like negative birdies up there -- places where you should be able to hear things, but you can't.

But, for $300 (the price I paid) one can't be too unhappy. It really impresses people.

I can't believe that this radio is related to the Drakes.

Finally, it makes a decent radio for listening to talk radio!

Jerry O'Dell W8GND

K4YHQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 9, 2006 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Serious QC Problems, Search for a Good One  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Let's start with the good:

(1)Superb sound -- I mean really good sound, it's a joy to listen to
(2)Sync works very well
(3)Much better than average sensitivity
(4)Great ergonomics, including a wonderful display

Now the bad:

(1) Quality control is abysmal. It's even worse than abysmal, I just can't think of a polite word that fits!
(2) It eats batteries like nothing else. The 800 will go through 4 alkaline D Cells in less than four hours.
(3) It's big, the size of a small duffle bag.

First the QC problems: you need to be ready for this if you're going to buy one. I bought my first 800 when I saw it on sale at West Marine (of all places). It went back to the store the next day when I found that I could hardly pull in even the strongest signals, no matter what antenna I hooked up. While still in the store, I tried another 800 right out of the box, and it was dead -- right out of the box, as they say. I took a third home that seemed to work, but after playing with it noticed that there was a bad hum on several bands. Back it went, and I took away the last 800 they had in the store. That's the fourth, by the way, but this one was a winner! The difference between it and the others was like night and day. This extreme "sample variation" may account for the wide difference of opinion regarding this radio.

I have the E1 too, and the 800 is just slightly less sensitive, and the E1 sync is a marvel, but the 800 is more fun to listen to because of its room filling sound. Between the two, if I have room in the car, I'll take the 800 camping, or where ever, instead of the E1.

GW4JPC Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2006 14:39 Send this review to a friend
Great receiver of its' type  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had read a little about this receiver and had been aware of the earlier Grundig models.When I saw one going on eBay I thought I would give it a try. After all you can never have too many receivers!
My first impression was 'what a lump for a portable',the Satellit 800 is certainly no fly-weight.The controls are correspondingly big, no tiny little buttons and knobs here. The display too is big and very easy to read giving frequency,BC band, mode, bandwidth and clock information.
Tuning is via up and down buttons or a tuning knob and there is the option of direct frequency entry via a key pad.The buttons don't have a very positive quality feel to them,but function well. I think that there may be long term reliability issues with these buttons, but there again my JRC NRD525 has a somewhat touchy key pad. The usb/lsb button on my 800 is very touchy. It seems to bounce so that it can take two or three attempts to select the desired sideband. Once selected,SSB quality is excellent even though the tuning steps are a chunky 100Hz, similar to my Sony ICF2001D.
AM quality is fine and the AM SYNC mode seems to work although not as obviously good as the ICF2001D. You hardly notice it working, but it seems to reduce the fading distortion by a worthwhile degree. It does not hunt and retune as the sync detector on the AOR AR7030 does.
The three available bandwidths of 6,4 and 2.2 kHz are adequate for casual listening. It would be interesting to hear this radio tweaked with some after market filters.
The FM broadcast band works well, sound quality through the built in speaker is good and very good through the supplied Grundig stereo headphones.Sound quality via the stereo speaker output on the rear of the radio is also very good.
Airband works, but there is very limited activity where I live so I can not comment on the 800's efficiency on this band.
The synthesizer tuning steps are audible at times on AM and SW and there are a few birdies and other spurious hash to be heared, but overall I find this a very pleasant radio to operate. It is not a top notch communications receiver, more of a jack of all trades but a master at none.If you need a genuine communications receiver then look else where. The overall sound quality, ergonomics and ease of operation make me rate this radio so highly. It is just a very nice tool for cruising around the bands and it plays music at decent quality too. What a fun radio.

KB2NAT Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2005 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Well worth the money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
With over three years use on the 800, I have had a chance to compare it with my Zenith Transoceanic, a Sangean 808, and a Yaesu Ft-897. The tone compares well with the Zenith 7000 and the filters, etc. work perfectly. There is no wobble with the tuner knob/shaft and the sensitivity is very good. The controls are easy to learn and it's fun to use. I would pay twice the money if the case were half-sized and metal. Nice features are the stereo audio output and the stereo line outputs. The unit is not quite as sensitive as the Yaesu, but not that far off, either. Nitpicking? Small chirps in the tuning which don't affect real-life receiving and the airband which I knew was only going to be average. It continues to be an excellent unit and well worth what I paid. My only suggestion is that you buy it from Universal, Grove, or a ham outlet that's reputable. You will not regret purchasing this receiver...especially if you throw a wire out the window and connect it to one of the antenna inputs.

1RADIOACTIVE Rating: 3/5 Jul 28, 2005 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Lots of big talk with little walk  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having been an avid SWL for over 20 years, I guess you could say I've had my fair share of experience with various receivers, including the Kenwood R-2000, Yaesu FRG-100B, Sony ICF-2010, and Grundig Satellit 700. While I don't consider myself a technical expert by any means, I think that I have enough knowledge to at least recognize a winner from a loser.
After reading about and hearing all the hype surrounding the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium, I decided that it was time to treat myself to what I thought would be a very classy receiver and I eventually ordered one. When the radio finally arrived, I was like a little kid on Christmas morning who could hardly wait to get it out of the box. I fully expected this radios performance to dazzle me as I carefully set it up with the anticipation of getting my socks blown off. Well, it is now five months later, and here I am with this nice looking big radio on my desk. I honestly have to say, the Satellit 800 has me frazzled, not dazzled, and I still have my socks on. I've given it a sincere score of only 3 because I now believe this radio has been highly over rated and that its performance is not up to par as compared to many others. It's an ok radio, not a great one by a long shot, and I personally don't think it's deserving of such high marks. There are several very annoying quirks with this set, such as a very unstable tuning dial, a power transformer that produces excessive noise, and its ability to pull in signals being just average. The audio is pleasant enough, but it sure won't take any special prizes either. My old Satellit 700 portable actually beats them all!
Without belaboring the whole issue, the 800 is an impressive looking big radio that talks a good talk but really doesn't walk the walk.

NH7PG Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2005 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Very Special Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned Kenwood and Icom receivers, and the 800 is almost right up there with them. Of course an outdoor antenna is almost mandatory for good reception, along with a good ground. Make sure your 800 is well grounded, otherwise you'll be disappointed if you plan to do some serious shortwave listening. I found the 800's built in whip to be merely satisfactory, but it's no slouch on portable operation, and works best when the radio is grounded. I like the radio's beefy size, the large display, the incredible audio through its large speaker and the large tuning knobs. Easy to use. If Grundig had added passband tuning and notch filters, this radio would have been perfect. A station is only as good as its antenna. Build best antenna you can for this rig, and you won't be disappointed.

K9KZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2005 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Nice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned a lot of nice receivers. This one is very pleasant. I love the size. The built in audio is a real pleasure. The sync detector works great! This radio is so easy to use and has everything I want except RF gain and PBT. I bought mine new from Universal. Only problem I've found so far is the tuning knob wobbles. I will send it to Drake for the updates when I've played with it for a while. I was really sceptical about buying one of these huge radios but I am very happy with my purchase. I know some have had problems but this one works great. The sync detector is amazing and so effective. I would have really liked to see a new version of this radio with some improvements. It could have been a classic. Probably will be anyway.

W7RBQ Rating: 3/5 Mar 23, 2005 12:07 Send this review to a friend
A good, but not great, receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although the Satellit 800 is a good receiver, I was disappointed in its performance. All the hype surrounding it made me expect a really exceptional receiver...which it definitely is not. I purchased mine from Universal and they checked it out to make sure it was up to specs, and it does have its virtues. On the plus side, it has wonderful, warm audio. It can also handle quite a large external antenna. On the negative side, I find that my Sony 2010, when attached to a much smaller antenna, can hear things on both SW and SSB that the Satellit 800 can't. I've never thoroughly tested the 800 on MW because MW is of little interest to me. I can tell you, though, that on SW the 800 is not what the hype leads you to expect and is certainly not worth the hefty amount of money it sells for. It is a good receiver, but not a "great" one where reception is concerned.