Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing & safety gear | Tri-Ex W-51/WT-51 Help

Reviews Summary for Tri-Ex W-51/WT-51
Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1,335.00
Description: 51', 3-section, medium-duty, self-supporting, crank-up tower. Hot-dip galvanized steel construction. Requires concrete anchor base. For info contact: Karl K. Tashjian, Civil Engineering 2183 S. Highland Ave Sanger, Ca 93657 (559) 495-0307 Fax (559) 495-0557 Mobile (559) 284-9707 e-mail Tashjian@msn.com
More info: http://www.tashtowers.com/

You can write your own review of the Tri-Ex W-51/WT-51.

N7NSL Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2018 19:58 Send this review to a friend
Does the job!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased the tower from a SK who had put it up in 1982. I had the hole dug, made the frame myself just for the fun of it. Put the frame in the ground - seemed like the thing to do. Had some concrete poured, and up it went. See the photo's at QRZ. I go out and look at it occasionally - it's still there. Thought that the cable should be replaced so called Tashjian. Ordered it and installed it the next week. I go out sometimes to verify that it's still there. It still is. I would rate it 1 out of 5 because it's so boring. But I'll give it a 5 out of 5 because it's still there - holding up my yagi.
Ted, N7NSL

N2DVQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2018 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Tashjian WT-51  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So my original Triex WT-51 folded over in a freak thunderstorm here in NY just north of NYC, we don’t get many near tornados like this one was in this area. Was over in 10 minutes and there were trees down all over the place in my neighborhood. The tower was cranked up all the way carrying a 3 eL stepper with the 40m dipole and it failed at the top of the bottom section. It was up for 23 years and I got it used. I rarely cranked it down and never a problem until now. I am lucky that Tashjian towers still makes the tower and has actually improved it so I don’t need to replace the base and deal with permitting a new tower. Ordered it July 3rd and its now scheduled for delivery 15 days later, CA to NY. Cost is 1/2 an equivalent US tower version. The WT-51 is rated as medium duty so an equivalent US tower version might have more strength but The US tower version is more than 2x the Tashjian price. I plan on cranking the replacement down when not in use so strength shouldn’t make much of a difference. For customer experience so far I give Norman Tashjian a 5. I will update this review as the tower replacement project continues.

WK9U Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2016 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Great tower  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a Yaesu 1000 rotor installed in mine..not a 450 or an 800. My G-1000DXA fits. A person needs to partially disassemble, mount, and reassemble the rotor on the mount and success.
My tower is a second hand purchase which is in excellent condition both mechanically and cosmetically as it was taken care of. The new company sell this shipped without a base/cage for 3500.00+/-
I paid 850.00 and regardless of age, it's strong holding my monobanders.
73'

AK6ZZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2013 05:50 Send this review to a friend
Good tower  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my triex wt51 up for about eight months and so far no problems at all. It is strong and held my SteppIR three element without issue. I recently decided to put up a Mosley super 33 on it and will install this upcoming month.

My only issue with it is the small cage that cannot seem to hold a beefier rotator than a Yaesu G450. I read that you can get a G800 in the cage but with some great challenge and I found the Tashijan tower personnel to be not very helpful in giving advice. They actually told me that a G800 will not fit this tower.

K9GEM Rating: 3/5 Aug 27, 2011 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Just got one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just receieved a used MW-50 crank up. There is some rust and the crank and cable need to be replaced. The SK never extended it. Need to know what the concret base measurements need to be. The base has three 1/2 inch bolt holes and I plan on straping the base down acress the non pivot side as well as to the side of the house. The tower looks to be in really good shape since it is about 45 yrs old. Am very happy with it. Sure wish I had the manual.

W5XJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2010 21:57 Send this review to a friend
Just received awaiting rehab & install  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It looks great so far laying down but i have not put it up yet. An SK's generous family passed this tower on to me complete with a CDE Hygain (pre MFJ) Ham IV rotor so i am rehabbing it and looking forward to putting it up and mounting a KLM yagi on it and perhaps a 40M dipole as well. I have to get a base made for it as well.

Will report more after it goes up.

NV2A Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2008 04:49 Send this review to a friend
Great simple piece of equipment IMHO!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these found laying embedded in weeds in a Western New York vineyard. Paid $300 for it. Re-cabled it with stainless cable found at Dayton hamfest and built an electric winch for it from a converted 40:1 speed reducer as used by farmers on grain elevators. Paid $20 bucks for the reducer at a yardsale. At this point I got $320 bucks in it! Purchased a used KT-34a from a friend for $125.00 and I'm in business. Great tower, it handled the Buffalo, NY winters with no grief. I'm looking for another now that I have moved and am getting back to hamming. I'm rating it a 5 as mine was very old when I got it and still served with with no problems.

W6IML Rating: 4/5 Feb 11, 2007 11:53 Send this review to a friend
Srtong and inexpensive  Time owned: more than 12 months
After my little three section crank up guyed tower folded over, it was time to invest in a REAL tower. I found a Ham who installed and serviced tower systems here in Southern California, [KJ6Y] and bought a used TRI-EX W-51. It had been re-cabled and the cranking mechanism checked, so it was in very good shape. After digging a three foot by three foot by five foot hole and dropping the rebar tower base into the hole, I made sure the base was level and filled the hole with concrete. I had a few friends over to get the tower mounted and up. Luckily, the tower was level, so I didn't have to do any modifications to the base.
I bought a Yaesu G-800DXA rotator system because it was the strongest rotator that would fit into the tower rotor baseplate. I wanted to use a tail-twister rotator, but it is to wide and won't fit inside the top section of the W-51.
After installing a steppIR 3 element yagi and a 12 element 2 meter beam, up goes the tower! Everything works FB, so no thought AT THIS TIME was given to the winds we have here that get up to 90MPH. When we started getting the Santa Ana winds here, I lowered the tower 20 feet. No problem. Back up the tower goes. This goes on for 5 or 6 times with no damage at all. Then we get a really strong wind last November that blew down tree branches and wood fences in several yards in my 'hood. I completly forgot about cranking down the tower! Well after several hours of this big blow, I remember I need to lower the tower! I go out to crank it down and before I do, I look up. I expected to see the tower bent over and my $1400.00 steppIR in pieces, but NOOOOOO!!! The tower was in fine shape, and the steppIR beam was as well!
I am a happy camper!
To be honest, I don't know if this W-51 could have handled anything larger than my 3 element steppIR without damage. I DO know that I will lower the tower the next time a big wind is in the forcast...I won't tempt fate!

K8MN Rating: 2/5 Dec 6, 2006 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Lost two in three years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm not going to malign this entire line of towers, nor am I going to argue with those who are delighted with their purchase.

I bought a new W-51 with raising fixture, thrust bearing and base six years ago upon returning to the U.S. from Tanzania. The tower held a Bencher Skyhawk, 2m and 70cm boomers and a 6m beam. It was up for three years when an early December windstorm folded it over just above the top of the largest section. Winds never exceeded 60 mph.

I bought another W-51 to replace it. This one held a Cushcraft X-9 along with M2 2m and 70cm antennas. Almost exactly three years after the first failure, this one folded over in the same place as the first one. My loading of the tower did not exceed 13 square feet and the winds did not exceed 60 mph.

By contrast, my friend N8NN has a Universal aluminum tower which is freestanding at 60 feet. He has the small Force 12 tribander stacked over a three element Hy-Gain 40m yagi. His water pipe mast bent about ten degrees in the same storm, but his tower is still standing.

I'd never buy another W-51 for anything larger than a three element tribander. It is apparent that the tower does not meet its specifications.

Dave Heil K8MN

NW2M Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2006 06:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Many of us live in areas where keeping the peace in the neighborhood is very important. A crank-up tower was the solution that I was looking for. The W-51 Tower rests at the 21' level and extends to 51' plus mast/antenna. At the 21' nested height position, I have no rotating interference with anything on the tower. Although not hidden, it hides VERY well in the back yard. Fully extended, it is twice the height of my 2-story house. The tower is 100% usable at any position.

The base of the tower was dug with a BobCat using a 36" diameter drilling auger. These are the tools of "tree planters" and landscapers. I had them drill a 36" diameter hole what went down a full 6 feet. The cost was $100 bucks and he was done in 15 minutes! The concrete base was hung, framed with 6” lumber, leveled, and then 2 yards of concrete were poured. I also made provisions for 3" diameter PVC pipe (with large radius bends) to run all cables from the tower to/thru my basement wall. Everything is underground at least 24". Do not run ground rods thru the concrete base! Divert lightning away form the base which is holding everything up!

Two of the tower base legs are aligned to form a "hinge". This will determine where the tower can be laid-over and is your fall line. Keep this in mind when you install the base. I also dug a 12" diameter hole 36" deep with a concrete rebar loop to act as an anchor point (dead man) for a non-weight bearing backstay should I need a temporary pull point for raising/lowering the tower via raising fixture. It is along the fence (hidden) and at least 20+ feet away. I built an A-frame raising fixture which bolts the lowest mounting bolt holes on the tower base. EZ up and EZ down. No need to climb.

I highly recommend the W-51 tower. High quality and little maintenance. Mine has been in service since the spring of 1993. Take your time. Visit other tower owners. Ask questions. Look at their techniques. 73, Al