Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet GP-3 Dual Band Base Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Comet GP-3 Dual Band Base Antenna
Comet GP-3 Dual Band Base Antenna Reviews: 44 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $89 (street)
Description: Dual band (146 - 446 mhz) base station antenna. Fiberglass construction. Max power 200w. Length 5'11". Weight 2lbs 12 oz. SO-239 connector.
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com

You can write your own review of the Comet GP-3 Dual Band Base Antenna.

KQ4WH Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2018 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Great light Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had a home made duel band "J" Pole antenna up about 30 feet, was just using with a 2 meter radio. Feed line was about 60 feet of mini 8. Purchased the GP 3 and 100 feed of low loss coax. Installed the GP 3 at 20 feet for testing and comparing. Even through the GP 3 was 10 feet lower, it was 2 S Units better on any repeater within range. This is a great Antenna, it is very light and has small wind loading. Currently have it at about 40 feet and an picking up stations I have never been able to hear before. I would absolute purchase again

KR5P Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2018 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Survived Two Hurricanes  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own three of these antennas. One of them was the first base antenna I bought after I was licensed in 2006. It went up on a metal mast on our chimney which put it at about 50 feet (two story house). The metal masts got bent over by hurricanes and tropical storms but the antenna survived. I finally took it down and replaced the mast with a fiberglass mast and a newer GP3 but the original would probably have been fine to leave up there. I live 10 miles from the Gulf of Mexico south of Houston so the environment is a bit harsh for shiny things on roofs.

Ron Parker, KR5P

VA3PDG Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2017 04:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own 3 of these. One is at the top of a 80' Tower, and has been for about 3 years. This antenna is great! Stands up to the wind and winter here in southern Ontario and performs really quite well. For the price, this is a great bit of kit imo.

K3ZXP Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 07:51 Send this review to a friend
great antenna for my needs.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I upgraded to this antenna in our new house and it has been up about 4 months. before thins had a Ringo ranger and a mobile antenna in the shack. it's mounted a chain link fence pole on the peak of the house about 25ft in the air. On this antenna i hear repeaters I never heard before and simplex stations that I didn't hear in the past or were scratchyI hearth all clearly. Last week when the south east got a hurricane we got heavy rain and wind gusts of up 60 + mph. also live in a very open area with large farm fields behind us. this antenna looks and works like the day I put it up.

KC9AAX Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2016 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna - lightweight, good performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is a big improvement over the J-pole that I was using. It is much better on UHF and I am able to hit DMR repeaters in my area that I couldn't hit before. It is very lightweight and provides excellent protection from the elements. It is well made, very easy to install and I expect it will last for a long time.

VE7ABC Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2016 20:18 Send this review to a friend
Works as it should  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A nice looking (neighbor friendly) antenna that performs. Easy to put together and install. I've got it about 5 feet above the BBQ hut_ 15 feet above ground - on a piece of 1 1/2" galvanized pipe and it allows me to work various repeaters with no problem. Have only tried one simplex contact (about 50 miles away) and was told that I had a good S8-S9 signal. The quality is very good and I'm happy with my purchase.

KY4TS Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2014 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Workhorse antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The RACES team I am involved with has several of these in use at the county EOC, a few fire departments, several hospitals and in our 2 mobile command posts, as well as a couple in emergency shelter kits. I've used them on tripods with 16' push up poles during county wide events at check points. They always perform to spec with no additional tuning required.

NZ0T Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2013 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Solid antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my GP-3 for several years now. It is lightweight, well made and has low SWR over both bands. A move meant I had to take my tower and antennas down and when I was putting everything back up at the new QTH I managed to drop my GP-3 from 30 foot. This broke the fiberglass cover leaving only about an 8 inch stub but the copper inner workings of the antenna were fine. I found a piece of PVC pipe that fit perfectly, glued it over the stub and put the antenna up. It worked perfectly until a huge storm blew the PVC off - guess I didn't use enough glue! The innards of the antenna drooped and blew around in the Kansas weather for about 18 months until I finally was able to bring the GP-3 down a couple of days ago. I cleaned it up, re-flowed some of the solder joints and tried fitting the PVC back over it. It worked great! This time I used copious amounts of JB Weld to glue the PVC on and put the antenna back up. It works like new with SWR as low as ever. I know this is an extreme example and NGC would certainly not recommend doing what I did but I'm sold on how well built these antennas are.

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2012 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Quality & Solid Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I upgraded from a lower spec white stick type antenna which worked well, but i was always wondering what results a better antenna would bring......

Why did i not do this sooner, the difference is miles apart. This antenna gives me a good SWR across the VHF / UHF as advertised, and the comet quality is second to none.

Signals are so much stronger, and reports are better, and with the build quality i am sure it will still be in use a long time from now.

If you are consdiering one of these, then go get it, wish i had got one sooner

5 stars for a super performing and well built antenna

KE7DJQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2012 08:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I will admit that I have not used another equivalent antenna, so I can only compare this to a copper J-pole, a rollup twin lead, or HT rubber duckie, since those are the only other VHF antennas I have used in the same location, but it is a great antenna.

I can hit repeaters 100 miles away easily with just 10 watts.

Mine is roof mounted, about 30 feet off the ground.