Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | ARX-2B Help

Reviews Summary for ARX-2B
ARX-2B Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $110.00
Description: 2Meter Vertical OMNI Directional

You can write your own review of the ARX-2B.

G7PUV Rating: 4/5 Jan 19, 2019 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Great performance but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the VHF Ringos for over 20 years. For performance they are hard to beat and in my experience they outperform similar length fibreglass colinears. If your interest is not ham bands, IE marine VHF or airband they have the advantage of being fully tunable and these are the bands I've used them on in multiple installations.

Construction is average and that's being generous. The coupling of the two vertical elements with the hairpin is the first weak point relying on the pressure of a screw pushing two aluminium sections together. The problem with that is the screw is only threaded into nylon which is relatively easy to strip if too much force is applied.

Both the vertical element and the base section rely on a screw exerting force to push metal to metal. If you live in a coastal area subject to wind and salt this will fail after a few winters of weather.

The groundplane kit consists of stainless nuts on aluminium rods, never an ideal mix if used outside!

My advice would be assemble from new and once you've proved it works as expected smother every joint in an all weather epoxy like chemical metal. Add plenty of copperslip to the groundplane kit and make a yearly service of it, if you need to remove them in the future it may save you shearing one off.

Even with all these issues I still like the antenna. It has an elegance the whitesticks don't and tends to blend in better but most importantly it has very good performance.

AB3CN Rating: 4/5 Jun 11, 2014 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Reliable and worthwhile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this antenna on and off since 2005. I do not own a 144MHz SWR meter yet (but this will be solved soon!) so I judge the antenna against J-poles and home-made dipoles and a quarter wave element high above our house's roof. My experience has been that if assembled per the directions it is a very good performing antenna. I did put coax seal on the PL-259 but left all else exposed as is (forgive me for being sloppy) and in bad weather and good it still seems to be the same gain. Awesome! I was disappointed that the base aluminum tube with the set screw for the mast caused the base tube to expand when I tightened it too much. It cracked a bit. Yes, it is my fault but it split the aluminum tube without much effort. So 14 years later my station uses this antenna with a vertical mast made of fence-post from Home Depot ($10) and I'm getting awesome distances. Look it up on aprs.fi - I am in a low spot in Sykesville and I can reach Dale City Virginia and Gettysburg VA. In my opinion this is an excellently designed antenna. The shield decoupling works. I do not get stray RF tripping my squelch for no reason.

WB3ILM Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2012 23:20 Send this review to a friend
No problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have used ARX2B for more than 20 yrs. It has been mounted atop a 55 ft Rohn 45 ,snow, Ice, and high wind on the east coast and it keeps on ticking. Was used for local repeaters and also Psk31 with no problems. Still up and being used by son at DE QTH.

KE2KB Rating: 3/5 Dec 3, 2012 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Poor quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not what it was 25 years ago. I purchased an ARX-2B on Ebay bran-new in the box 2-1/2 years ago.
Initial impression was that it is not the quality antenna it was 25 years ago.

Had trouble with threads for radials. Needed to re-tap the three 1/4-24 holes.
Attachment of tuning rod to tuning ring is cheap clamp with nut & bolt. Could make this better, still trying to work it out.

Performance is still good. No difference from old model. I won't complain.
In spite of its shortcomings, this antenna stood up to 80mph wind gusts during super-storm Sandy Oct 2012.
Had to remove antenna for roofing project; trying to work out a better clamp for the tuning rod.

My advice is to go with something of higher quality if you can afford it. I don't have much experience in shopping for antenna, so I cannot recommend anything at this point. I will edit if I get more info.

AI4WM Rating: 4/5 Aug 12, 2012 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Good performance VHF antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I seldom rate things at a 5. Nothing is perfect and neither is the ARX-2B.

I got this antenna used in 2005 and it has been installed and in use ever since. Construction quality is not all that cheap like some of the HF antennas I've seen and used, but it is good enough to withstand the storms in Florida.
I put it up the year after we were hit with 4 hurricanes so I cannot say it withstands those.

I had no trouble installing and adjusting this antenna for the portion of the band for our local repeaters.

VSWR is close to 1,2 or better across the 2 meter band so I can say this antenna closely matches my AR-270. I have had up to 500 watts on this antenna with no problems.

N4DBM Rating: 3/5 Jan 31, 2010 09:32 Send this review to a friend
Average  Time owned: more than 12 months
The ARX-2B is the same as the old "Ringo Ranger" but with an added ground radial kit 5/8 wave below the feed point. It adds a little more gain by cleaning up the pattern (radials keep the feed line from radiating, a long-standing problem with the original Ringo and Ringo-Rangers).. Unfortunately the radials are made of some sort of pot metal alumunum and won't stand up to ice with wind.. and of course for the money, it's not supposed to. Electrically, the antenna works fine. Just take extra precautions to seal EVERYTHING. If you have to cover the stud where the matching ring is with hot glue or silicone.. Since the feedpoint is exposed, it's easy for water to run down the threads and get in your coax. I give it a 3 mainly because it's just a cheap "ham" antenna. Install it in a nice clean environment and seal the connector and feed point stud, and you'll be okay.

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2003 00:15 Send this review to a friend
good ant.  Time owned: more than 12 months
i had mine since 2001 it work real good on packet too as well as talking on it,it been good ant. so far without any problems.

best 73's
marion j green jr (jackie)
Kg4orx

KC7JLJ Rating: 3/5 Sep 6, 2003 22:06 Send this review to a friend
seems to work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, this is my first review and my first base 2m antenna. I was quite surprised when the 14 foot (by the specs) antenna was in a 2.5 foot box. What I guess I expected was an out of the box 14ft, when in reality the antenna uses your mounting mast to get some of its height. The radial portion of the antenna sort of screws to the mast a few feet down from the "ring". That aside, putting the antenna together was not too bad. The washers in the diagram are of the star type, and the ones included were split ring type lock washers. The screws were just short enough that the split ring washers would not fit. The star type most likely would have. Assembly was pretty straight forward, and setting the antenna to the frequency you would transmit on was fairly easy as well with a tape measure. The best SWR I could get is 1:3:1, and the worst so far of 1:8:1. It seems to climb as more power is applied, something I haven't seen before. I have the antenna sitting on top of a 2 story hose with a 10 foot mast, of course the antenna isn't 10 feet up due to the mast being part of the antenna. Hits repeaters well, simplex at 16 miles is scratchy. Seems better on transmit at this range than receive. My mobile is a super gainer type with 5db gain.

N4ST Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2002 22:46 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used a pair of these (1 for packet, the other for FM simplex) for several years at my house on a ridge where they were subjected to 40-50 mph winds on a regular basis. Frankly, they don't look that well constructed, however I never had any problems and they performed well. One took a direct hit from lightning, and other than being 1/2" shorter where the top was melted it continued to function perfectly.

K3OG Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2002 18:34 Send this review to a friend
13 years, no problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna mounted in the same location for 13 years. I routinely work 80 mile simplex with 25 watts and can work repeaters 100 miles out. Outperforms all other omnidirectionals I've mounted in the last decade. Recently purchased a 2nd at a new QTH. Quality of materials is questionable, there are far better built antennas out there with similar performance but none with the low price. I thought this antenna would last a few years, 13 years later I'm quite impressed.