Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV Help

Reviews Summary for WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV
WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV Reviews: 271 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $90
Description: An extremely well made G5RV type antenna. Kerry (WA2NAN) builds these antennas with excellent materials and very good attention to detail. The center insulator is a really nice piece of work and all the connections are soldered and have heat shrink tubing on them. I am not affiliated at all with WA2NAN but have one of his antennas and it is great.

Info: kerry@northnet.org

You can write your own review of the WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV.

K3XYZ Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2019 03:48 Send this review to a friend
The best. I'll always have one in use  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first G5RV from True-Talk lasted 6 years hung in a huge pine tree. A storm broke the rope I had it suspended with so I had no way to get it down to repair, so I had to buy a new antenna. Prior to hanging the new one I muscled the old antenna down by pulling on both wires and the ladder line until it came off the branched it was wrapped around. Much to my surprise there was NO damage to the old antenna other than the clear plastic cover coming off the wires. I could have reused it. This thing is built like a tank. Over the years I've had GREAT luck making connections both domestic and DX. My log book shows most of them. I can't say enough good things about this antenna. Kerry, the owner is a great guy who will take the time to personally answer any questions you might have. I will always have a spare one of these in my shack just in case. This is the best wire antenna I've ever used.

KC9YDV Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2019 21:10 Send this review to a friend
True-Talk G5RV Jr.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Stock 100w output on my ic-7300 I reached all over North America, Slovenia, Belgium, France and South Africa 8667 miles! 20m and 40m
Antenna is setup about 22' center, NE end at 14', SW end at 13' temp setup it was -8f that day...
Withstood ice storm 50 mph wind!
The ic-7300 internal tuner was ok but am using a mfj-989b tuner.

KE4CDF Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2019 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Quality is beyond the others!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a no-brainer. You simply won't build your own G5RV for less money, not including your time. The quality is unquestionable and my measurements of the antenna are dead-on with regard to design and Kerry's description. His dismissal of the use of a balun is indeed corroborated in the literature and his very specific cautions and suggestions in his directions for installation and use are clearly a result of long-term experience and modifications. You can't lose here.

KA4TOM Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2018 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna, no other is ever required  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really don't know why anyone would bother to purchase any other wire antenna. Kerry makes the best there is and I am not associated with him in any way. Have tried them all but this is the best.This is my 2nd one , I ws foolish enough to let my first go , will not do that again.

N1TGE Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2018 06:38 Send this review to a friend
True-Talk II ( 204' G5RV 160-6)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been a ham since 93. I am 37 now and finally have my dream home with tons of space. I have lived in condos, apartments, homes, etc but nowhere like where I am now. So, I started shopping for a really good wire antenna. That's right I am a 100w and wire kind of guy. I have tried G5RV jr, fanned dipoles, end feds, and verticals.

I purchased the True-Talk II (204 ft) and was able to get it up at about 70 in a flat top orientation. The purchase was smooth via eBay and shipping was quick as well.

I can finally work 160/80!! THIS THING ROCKS!!!

This antenna is built like a tank. Kerry clearly puts a lot of effort into making sure that his antenna will last. In comparison to MFJ and Alpha Delta this piece of gear is a Formula 1 car while the others a Kias.

*EXCELLENT construction
*AFFORDABLE
*FAST shipping
*COAX included

Do yourself a favor and buy one of these. You will not be disappointed.

AE4XL Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2018 19:25 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ANTENNA  Time owned: more than 12 months
THIS is my second antenna and they are the best one's I have ever had.
WE had some really bad storms here in MANSFIELD,TN. and they took the top's out of 3 of my tree's that the last antenna was in and really made a mess of it that is the reason I needed another one.
I have other wire antenna's but none can match the TRUE TALK.
THANK'S KERRY for a great antenna.

NU9S Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2018 01:10 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am on my second G5RV purchased from WA2NAN because the first one was damaged by Florida storms. The reason I am writing it to thank you for making such a high quality antenna for a great price. It is built like a tank and better than any other G5RV I have tried and I've tried a few. It handles the nasty weather we have down here in Florida during storm season and tunes up great on most all bands.

W5GTG Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2018 02:00 Send this review to a friend
G5RV Jr. Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Perfect for my needs. Excellent workmanship and Kerry was there to answer all questions. Mounted on my 40' deck because my house is on piers and the ground drops at a 45 deg angle in front, so the inverted V works great for now. I've made a lot of dx contacts on 20m. Still need to try the other bands, should be able to tune 6-40m. I made some offset brackets out of 1" pvc to keep the ladder line 14" away from the pole and made the choke out of a piece of 4-1/2" pvc I had laying around. Dipole is situated east to west. Thanks WA2NAN

MTMAPMAKER Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2018 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a G5RV Jr. built by Kerry and it is an outstanding piece of workmanship and materials. It has been up for a year now and looks as good as new. I wanted to fill-in the directions not covered by this antenna so I bought a popular EFHF 130 ft antenna and put it up about a month ago. It had a small choke wound on the end near the balun and the wire broke there during one of our Oklahoma wind storms. I soldered it together and put it back up. It broke again! What a cheap design and It had 3 S units more noise than the G5RV Jr. I bought the full size and up it went. Great reception, high quality and LOW noise. I learned my lesson!!

K8ZK Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2018 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Well Built in USA  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second WA2NAN antenna. My first lasted ~15 years until it was attacked by a rodent. After a temporary repair, it was clear the sun and elements had baked the materials and it was probably time for a new one. I generally do SWL on several SDRs, so I cannot speak for TX performance. But the 102' appears to do well for my needs. It appears that Kerry has improved the design over the years, as my new one looks more robust.