Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV Help

Reviews Summary for WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV
WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV Reviews: 270 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $90
Description: An extremely well made G5RV type antenna. Kerry (WA2NAN) builds these antennas with excellent materials and very good attention to detail. The center insulator is a really nice piece of work and all the connections are soldered and have heat shrink tubing on them. I am not affiliated at all with WA2NAN but have one of his antennas and it is great.

Info: kerry@northnet.org

You can write your own review of the WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV.

K4SSN Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2018 13:16 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased back in December and after 2 months on the air , I can confirm what others have said about this antenna is true, its a performer.
I was impressed by the build quality , but, the performance is what really struck me.
Kerry is a great guy to deal with, very helpful and professional. If a G%RV is what you seek, then look no further than this antenna.

N0AVR Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2018 19:16 Send this review to a friend
Best multi-bander I've found.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm on my second G5RV from Kerry. (First was destroyed in a thunderstorm.) I keep trying other antennas (dipoles, end-fed, etc.) and I keep coming back to this one. Tunes on all bands it's supposed to. I work the entire US and tons of DX with great reports. I have it up about 55 feet. Quality of construction is superb and the price is right.

KD4BBQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2018 14:06 Send this review to a friend
True-Talk G5RV I Am Very Pleased  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my True-Talk G5RV antenna for almost a year now and am very pleased with it. The parts used to build the antenna are of the best quality and the manufacturing is excellent. The performance of this antenna is excellent on all bands and it out performs my end fed zepp especially the receive. Kerry gives great customer service with very good communication and fast shipment. I am also very pleased with the price.

KE8HVA Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2018 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking to build my own antenna like a proper Ham but at $100, you simply cannot build a G5RV cheaper, especially not with this quality. The design and build are incredible with the custom designed center insulator/ladder connector feeding the coated wires into waterproof connectors, well crimped ends and solid end insulators.
Mine is suspended 40 feet into a tree in an inverted V that fits my small city lot pretty well. In conjunction with my TS-590SG's internal tuner, it operates great on bands a G5RV is intended for. Even in bad band conditions, I was able to talk to California from Michigan on 50 watts with it on 40.
It is temperamental on tuning up on 80 meters but this is because I believe one radial is too close to my aluminum flashing which I will correct in the Spring.
Really a great buy if you have the room for a G5RV. The coated wires and sealed connections make it worth the extra few bucks over the bare wire, flimsy one with the green insulators from another brand.

W5YAK Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2017 05:33 Send this review to a friend
5 Stars  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
From the moment I clicked the buy now button I have been happy with my purchase. Kerry made immediate contact with me and continued to answer my questions promptly and offer impeccable customer service. The 102 G5RV is well built. I put it up about 30 feet as an inverted V at about 120 deg angle. Using an FTDX 3000, Ameritron Al-811h, and an ATR-20 tuner it tunes up well on 10-80- hadnít tried 6. In the first 24 hours Iíhad Qsoís with 8 states and 3 Dx contacts. It seems to propogate in all directions well. No RF feedback, so I didnít bother with the ugly balun choke.

NU3W Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2017 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Well built and good performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent G5RV .I,ve owned and built several.True-Talk is the best.Up at 80 feet and performs well..
surviving recent rain and gusty winds.

K1TZT Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2017 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Extremely Well Made Dipole  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As others have said it's an extremely well made G5RV dipole using high quality materials. I've purchased ones from the "big" distributors and they don't compare to the True-Talk. If your looking for a multiband dipole this is the one.

K1TZT

K2CD Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2017 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Working good in the hood.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased this for the 2017 PA QSO Party. Very good results in-state, and decent when the bands lengthened. It loaded up very well on 160M as well, which was a pleasant surprise, and allowed 15 CW contacts I wouldn't have otherwise had. Lots of unsolicited "man, you're strong here" comments on 40 and 80.

Installed as a flat-top at about 42 feet oriented NE/SW. Plan to reinstall it as an Inverted Vee, and hopefully will do better on DX, as my old home-brew one did. Very quiet compared to my old one, too.

Materials and construction are first rate. 20 Meters really plays well. Sometimes signals are as strong as they are on my Mosley TA-33. Overall a very good antenna.

KK5R Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2017 14:15 Send this review to a friend
WA2NAN Antennas are Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow-up to my rating of the WA2NAN G5RV Jr antenna dated January, 2015...

I sent the G5RV Jr to my son in California (N5DIM) when I ordered the full length 102-ft version. My son likes it and it's one of his favorite antennas.

The full version is also very good...! I got it to get 80M capabilities. It does this very well since I can almost use the whole 80M band by using the internal tuner in my FT-450AT. It is up about 60-FT and while it may be be better at other heights on some bands, I cannot complaining about how the antenna works.

I added an "ugly balun" at the feedpoint of the antenna per recommendations of WA2NAN and it tunes up better than before. The balun is a coil of RG-8X that is 18-Ft long wound on a section of 4-Inch PVC pipe about 6-inches long. The only problem now is that the ends of the antenna are tucked up into the trees at the ends but there's no help for it considering the swamp where I live.

The antenna is recommended for anyone who has the territory to hang up the antenna. No worries about power levels and about working on the HF bands.

The antenna also receives well on LW and MW. Using my IC-718, which is slightly better than the FT-450 on these frequencies. With the IC-718, there are stations that can be heard on the G5RV that are barely discernible with the Yaesu.

I am also an antenna experimenter. I'm now playing with a 53-Ft End Fed Dipole with a 9:1 UnUn. While it's good, it is no better than the WA4NAN G5RV on the HF bands. taking antenna orientation and height into consideration.

As others have noted, the WA2NAN antenna lacks nothing in professionalism in design and workmanship. It is money well-invested and if it does not work as others have said who are satisfied with it, it's time to examine the feedline and the "lay of the land" to see what needs to be redone.

K3TVC Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2017 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very good construction. Put it up and ready to use. I also have a 2 element TGM mini beam which I rarely use now since the TrueTalk 102" G5RV covers all my bands with great results. Buy one, you will be pleased.