Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-747 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-747
Yaesu FT-747 Reviews: 40 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $1049.99
Description: Budget HF Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-747.

CT2FPE Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2008 15:39 Send this review to a friend
Good Start Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my 747 in 1998 and used until Feb 2008,
It was a good starting, general coverage and all the modes.
The only issue was the dial button.
There are some mods. to it and they can be made without any dificulty.
A nice HF RIG for starters and expeditions.

DL1MEV Rating: 4/5 Feb 21, 2008 05:46 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine 1988 and it served well. The antenna then was a broadband-(fan-)dipole under the attic, so using the attenuator on 40m was mandatory in the evening. The price-performance-ratio was good then, considering the built-in cw-filter and AM. Shure, for an avid dxer, who cranks the bands up and down all the time, this rig is only a makeshift for a limited time. The VFO-encoder is too frail for heavy use.

NY4D Rating: 3/5 Oct 10, 2007 07:44 Send this review to a friend
OK, but watch out for these problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had several of these, some worked fine, some did not. When right, it's a great little radio with just enough features that there's a lot of bang for the buck. But there's a potential mechanical problem with all of these.

Over time, with use, maybe just age, the FT747gx front panel buttons will often not operate the actual switches and switch pads, which are actually located on the display board behind the front panel, as there is next to no mechanical anchoring of the display board to the front panel.

Over time, and with operation, this problem seems to get worse.

It is possible to build up the switch pads, and extend the plastic rods behind the pushbuttons, with some glue, plastic straws, and ingenuity.

This problem has also manifested on the metal case commercial version I've had, the ftc-80, which has the same plastic front panel setup. So much for "more rugged" because it has a metal case.

Another problem I've seen more than once is that the nar, att, nb, and mox buttons get wedged up under the front panel. To the unknowing, the mox button being so wedged can cause a lot of problems with the rig coming up in transmit...

I like this rig, and I'd give it a 4 were it not for the general flimsiness of the rig. With age it tends to need mechanical, let alone electrical help. So on that standpoint it rates a 2.

There are better choices for just a tad more money unless you are absolutely sure you're getting one where everything, both mechanical and electrical, works.

G4REK Rating: 4/5 Apr 29, 2007 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still going well, changed the intermittent vfo rotary encoder....last year....no surface mount components to stop you in your tracks...when you fire up the solder gun (only joking about the gun)really robust p.a. stage..

N0TRQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2007 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Great lil rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased my first FT-747 new in 1990 (just before earning my first ticket), Only addition was the FM board. It has been in almost continous use from day one. Unless I happen to be home and actively using it on another band, it stay on 20m packet 24x7. Have yet to have a single problem with it.

I remember saving up a lot of pennies for it new, but would not hesitate to pick up another in an instant should it cross my path. Basic controls, but for someone who'd rather tinker with building antennas than playing with radio knobs this has been a winning rig. Both RX and TX have been very solid and get nothing short of great reports from those on the other end.

I highly recommend them for those new to the hobby, for the shear simplistic operation. Plug it in and go.

AB7JK Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2006 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Great all around radio!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned three FT747GXs over the years and keep coming back to them. The radio does alot of things very well, does nothing poorly, and is cheap on the used market. I don't care if the case is plastic - I don't need to fry burgers on it. It comes with cw and am filters standard - after introducing this model Yaesu realized they could not sell expensive filter options so they stopped making it and replaced it with the FT840.

My favorite use for the radio is shortwave and medium wave listening - it equals or surpasses well known table tops with it's -126 Mds, low noise floor and great audio. I listen to KMOX St Louis regularly from Tampa Florida and it sounds like it is next door - I couldn't do that with my Icom R75. It does very well with PSK31 also - just requires a PTT switch rigged to the back panel - very stable and great AGC.

I haven't experience any feedback problems, nor do I miss IF Shift. As long as this model stays available in good shape on the used market I find no need to upgrade. The FT747GX is a used market best kept secret.

LU1HQV Rating: 4/5 Sep 9, 2006 18:51 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive way to go HF  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned several 747 in my almost 20 years as ham... Each time this little, rough radio give me very good moments in hf...
Is always my first option (whit kenwood ts 50) for newly hams in HF
Easy to work, cheap, aceptable recepcion... all in a little plastic box...
If you want a "all terrain" hf and don't have money for the faboulous ft 897, this is a inexpensive way to go..

G3XBM Rating: 3/5 Jul 12, 2006 04:31 Send this review to a friend
An OK rig for its day  Time owned: more than 12 months
An inexpensive and, for its time, small 100W HF rig. Mine suffered some RF feedback issues, so used to run it mostly at QRP levels (<10W). The plastic case was a simple idea but not a brilliant RF shield.

An FT817 at about 1/10th the size does far more, works more reliably, covers more bands and is altogether a better radio, apart from being just 2 S points down on TX!

W6UXB Rating: 4/5 Apr 6, 2006 18:58 Send this review to a friend
A very solid performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well I have had my 747 for about a year now and must say I do like this radio, OK it's got a plastic case but so what it has 3 filters as standard, mine has the optional FM board. I have been comparing it to my SW receiver a Satellite 800 with Palstar preselector (a great little unit) and it beats it from 3.5 mhz up. The only problem; do not short out the external DC output, I had to send mine off to wa4geg for repair and what a great job he did, together with giving it a re-alignment he fixed the burnt traces and now it performs superb, good audio reports on transmit, great reception the only thing I miss is PBT but the all mode squelch is a great addition. I am still thinking of swapping it for a Drake TR7 as I anly have room for one operational radio but for the price of these second hand and a cheap trip to wa4geg you have one great small rig with a really quite receiver (757 owners note) I have just got a quite rare split kit, not for mobile but so I can use the rig in bed ! 73's

OE3SGU Rating: 4/5 Apr 6, 2006 13:28 Send this review to a friend
MIxed emotions  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well the 747 was my first ever RIG on HF. After passing my HF test this has been my toy for about 3 years before upgrading to a FT990. The 747 was ok, but you will miss a lot of features that you would like, eg. a spech processor, a decent case (its plastic) or some filters and a "real" VFO, just to name a few. Would I buy one again? Hm, depends on the price. I would rather go for a FT757 or TS-430 or something like that I think.