Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Burghardt Repair Service Help

Reviews Summary for Burghardt Repair Service
Burghardt Repair Service Reviews: 115 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $75/hr Jan2011
Description: Kenwood Authorized Service

You can write your own review of the Burghardt Repair Service.

N9JR Rating: 0/5 Mar 5, 2019 23:54 Send this review to a friend
After 8 months no radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

I too was railroaded by the manufacturer into using Berfhardt as they no longer serviced the radio. Actually the wait for service was pretty much on the expected 8 weeks.

On August 4, 2018 Jim called me telling me the repairs were complete. He then charged my credit card for $420 and I never did receive a statement. Or my radio for that matter.

After almost 3 billing cycles I called the credit card company to contest the charge. I'm glad I did because he has failed to answer emails and voice mails. If I paid him $420 to steal my radio I'd feel even worse.

I feel WA1YCE's pain. Shame on Yaesu for recommending a repair facility that engages in disreputable and unethical business practices. Not to mention out right theft.

I really don't have any expectation that Jim Smith will do the right thing. I just hope my experience, WA1YCE's experience will open peoples eyes and avoid Burghardt Radio Repair at all costs. At least if it's a radio you want to keep.

Joe N9JR

WA1YCE Rating: 2/5 Mar 4, 2019 00:00 Send this review to a friend
FT-900AT Repair Issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
2019-03-03 by Wa1YCE: My 1995 FT-900AT (Serial No: 4J050360) does not have the optional TCXO-3; I should have included that as they are apparently now unavailable. The radio has the MARS-CAP modification. The receiver was programmed with many SSB HF Marine and Aeronautical frequencies. I used the radio mainly for mobile operations since 2010 as I traveled frequently for work; the built-in tuner was critical for the mobile ops.

In November 2017, the VCO Lock failed, resulting in no receive or transmit above the 15 Meter Band.

On 5 December 2017 I sent my FT-900AT to Burghardt's Jim Smith after he confirmed that he would accept the radio. I was referred to Burghardt by Yaesu's Juan Hernandez. Jim confirmed that the radio was received OK. On 2MAR18 he replied to my eMail that he expected to ship the repaired radio back to me by 15MAR18. It is now March 2019 and I am not sure when or if the radio I sent to Burghardt will ever be returned.

N8NN Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2019 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Repair Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent my Yaesu FT-900/AT transceiver to Burghardt for repair after a local repair shop could not find the fault -- no power out on any band. Jim repaired my radio to like-new condition in January 2019. He charged 3 hours repair time and a small amount for parts. That's a bargain for bringing a non-working 26-year old radio back to life! Jim answered my emails and kept to his time estimate for repair. I am completely satisfied with Jim's excellent repairs.

Reviewers who complain that they didn't get their radio back should update those reviews after they receive their repaired radios.

Yaesu in California recommended Burghardt to me because they no longer repair older radios. That was a good recommendation.

KP3RF Rating: 1/5 Nov 1, 2018 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Lack of communication   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent a Yaesu FT-900 to this repair shop because Yaesu California no longer repair those transceivers. Yaesu reffered me to this repair shop.

I sent it on July 3, 2018. They acknowledge they received the transceiver. The 8 week turnaround time has passed without any communication from them. Iíve sent many messages and emails to them with no success.

N7RD Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2018 22:34 Send this review to a friend
Two Icoms Repaired  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a IC-756 Pro2 and a IC-7600 both repaired by Burghardt. The turn around time was as I was told and the repairs were very reasonable and both rigs worked as new when I received them back. I would recommend them to anybody needing repairs for their radio equipment.

W9SA Rating: 0/5 Apr 19, 2018 12:46 Send this review to a friend
Very Disappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This should be two reviews. The first review would say that the repairs done to my Yaesu FT-1000MP MkV were done as promised and the radio works well. The second review would say that the repairs were supposedly done about 8 weeks after I shipped the radio at which time I paid for the service. That was December 13, 2017. I received the radio back April 18, 2018. That's right it took 4 months after the repairs were completed and paid for for the radio to be shipped back. During this time communication was nonexistent, no returned emails or phone calls. I understand it taking a couple of weeks to get a shipment out but there is no excuse for 4 months to take it to FedEx. If you use this repair service your radio will likely be fixed but getting it back is another story.

KG4ERE Rating: 3/5 Apr 29, 2016 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Ok service, poor communications  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I shipped Burghardt a mobile radio for possible repair. I made sure to let them know in both email and on the repair slip I printed from their web page to let me know an estimate before doing any work. I received a response acknowledging my request, and was informed that there was a 4 week backlog on repairs. I told them that was no problem as I was in no huge hurry to get the radio back.

After almost a month and a half of not hearing anything I sent an email asking the status of the repair. I heard nothing back so after several days I called the store. I spoke to someone who stated that my radio was repairable and that they were waiting on parts they had ordered for it to arrive. Slightly irked I asked what the estimate was going to be, the response was within my budget. I asked them to let me know when the radio would be repaired.

After about a week I was sent an invoice for repairs, I paid it immediately via Paypal. After another week I sent another message asking if the radio had been repaired and shipped back to me yet. I finally received a reply back with a tracking number.

The repair to the radio is great, and every time I have talked to or interacted with Burghardt they have been very helpful. However their communications skills are lacking. I am glad the repair was within my budget since they went ahead and ordered parts without consulting with me first as I had requested.

I would do business with them again but with a different understanding.

WA6PH Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2016 21:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent history...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've read most of the reviews for Burghardt's and of those that were extremely negative, I have one thing to say. SRI you live in such a negative world! Personally, I have known Jim since, close to 1974, when I was first licensed and living in Aberdeen, SD. My initial experience began with my purchasing a Swan 500CX, from Stan, that I used for a while as a listening station and incentive to get my license. It was often tempting to transmit CW then, but I held off. Upon licensing, I didn't hesitate to jump in and join the fray only to find out that the VFO was not stable on transmit. I contacted Burghardt's about the problem and they took it in for repair, finding out that it was not repairable. Stan offered to take it in a straight trade from me in exchange for a brand new TS 520S.

I believe that was also the first time I met Jim. I then purchased many other units from them and had repairs done with them, totally to my satisfaction. These guys have always been top notch in my book and remain so. I was SRI to see that they had gone out of the sales end, but could definitely understand why that happened.

To this day I still consider Jim Smith to be my friend and an excellent individual. I would trust them with any repair or contract I pursued. From the reviews, I can see that I am not alone with this sentiment. Live long and prosper Burghardt's. 73, Phil K0RVD Bishop, CA

K9EH Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2016 05:35 Send this review to a friend
Yeast FT-100D repair   Time owned: more than 12 months
Spoke with Jim before I sent the radio. Polite, honest. I had broken a ribbon connector replacing the memory battery. He repaired the connector, replaced one of the feet, aligned and checked transmit and receive, added 60 meter coverage.
Less than one week later I got the radio back. Very reasonable cost. I have a new radio!

WB0OAF Rating: 0/5 Mar 5, 2016 12:34 Send this review to a friend
My Nightmare Service Job  Time owned: more than 12 months

We could write 4 or more detailed pages of our experience with this outfit. She talked on the phone with this Jim Smith character, and was madder than a hornet.

Then I suggested, instead of writing a Novel or Short Story on this business, letís just skip all the details and say this. Thereís already enough Bad to read right here on EHAM now!

One of the complaints here stated they had to call the Police in Watertown, SD, thatís a big red flag already. Actually 2 more complaints stated right here on EHAM, this guy tried to buy the radios instead of repairing them!.

I learned this the hard way as well, on my ICOM 7200; it took nearly 6 Months to replace a 5 volt DC regulator!. Something I should have done myself, but my disability wouldnít allow it. I could have replaced this part in an hour if I was still in the TV Repair Business.

After almost 60 emails, I seen this unfolding as a major problem, the only way I could get my radio back from this guy was through the South Dakota State Attorney Generalís Office for Consumer Fraud. Then we got the Bait and Switch pulled on us.
It appears they open up the radio, either canít troubleshoot it correctly or damage it while poking around inside, then they send you a check and a note saying, ďif you cash this check, we own your radioĒ. ????

We heard 12 other guys over radio airwaves with almost the same stories! So there are 2 more Red Flags right here on EHAM. That should be enough for anybody. My details wonít add anything.

By the way, every state has a Consumer Fraud Division, just look up your States Attorney Generals Office; itís a free service to the public to help with this kinda thing. Itís not worth getting hypertension over or high blood pressure. Usually 3 strikes and theyíre out anyhow.

This is a 4 page condensed complaint leaving all the details out, since everyone else pretty much said it all, I didnít want to repeat it!.
If you want to send your radio to Burghardt, by the way the owner Stan is dead, this guy that repairs things, works under their old name for credibility which is now gone. Far as Iím concerned there is no Burghardt Radio anymore.

But donít let this stop you from mailing your radio to this outfit.