Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | Hustler 6BTV Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler 6BTV Vertical
Hustler 6BTV Vertical Reviews: 160 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $189.99
Description: 6btv
More info: http://www.new-tronics.com/main/html/base_hf_6_band.html

You can write your own review of the Hustler 6BTV Vertical.

W1ZAH Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2019 22:21 Send this review to a friend
6BTV Inside a Home Brew Flagpole  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a bad experience with Greyline Performance "Flagpole Antenna" I decided to get the 6BTV and install it inside a PVC "flagpole". I bought the 6BTV along with the Omni Tilt Base and radial plate.

The DX Engineering folks were very helpful pre-sale and provided me with a couple off articles written 10-20 years ago by people who had done the 6BTV-Flagpole mod. A complicating factor was the tilt base, since I do not believe the articles I read included that piece.

After a couple of mis-steps I ended up buying 2 1/2" ID PVC (special order but not expensive) and making some modifications after raising the antenna a few times. The PVC covers about 90% of the antenna, right up to the 40M trap and 80M whip. It is possible to cover the entire length with PVC but I think it is too unstable having 23' of PVC in the air on a tilt base. I researched fiberglass flagpoles, which are more expensive but sturdier, but stayed with the PVC.

A ground radial system is an absolute must. I was only able to cover 180 degrees from the antenna base but I buried 25 - 20' lengths of 14G copper strand and although it was a bit tiresome, the results make it worth the time. Compared to my end-fed 1/4 wave dipole the 6BTV is a bit nosier on the receiving end but the transmissions on the vertical are a lot stronger than what I get from the dipole. I have an antenna switch in the shack so A/B comparisons are easy, and the 6BTV always kicks the dipole's butt on signal strength reports.

Tuning the vertical on installation is also important and with the tilt mount it is pretty easy to rain/lower it by yourself.

All in all it is a fine sub for the Greyline flagpole antenna that never gets delivered, and costs much less.

N1NDF Rating: 3/5 Jun 7, 2019 20:15 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna on recommendation from another ham. Price was a consideration. It was purchased from DX engineering.
It came with 2 sets of instructions ( the original from hustler and the newest from DX engineering ).

I thought I had a good understanding of RF antennas but after my experience, I think maybe not. Here is how it went here. After reading the instuctions I decided that I wanted to install it and get it up and working prior to laying a great ground system around it. On my property are several large metal buildings so I was not sure it would be effected by near (20ft +-) metal structures. The two instruction sheet contradicted each other. Especially the part about tunning the traps. Couple this with a very knowable fellow ham who has one and insist to never adjust the traps ... UGH. Day after the antenna was to put up and taken down over and ove r trying to make the 40 meter band work. I should mention that the 80 meter trap on the top gets broken very easily ...Invest in the over price tilt over bracket you be glad you did.
Each and evey time .. I was able to get all bands to resonant except the 40 Meter band. I was told more radials would resolve the problem (high SWR >2 RR= 30 ohms) yet adding radials did not seem to help. This evaluation was done with an MFJ-269 and a Rig Expert-AA-30. Resonant was achieved with 10/20/30 and 80 meters. 40 meter was low in frequency and its input impedance was at about 34 ohms and it dropped to even lower value of 25 ohms after adding more radials. There was no adjustment for 40 meter ... I finally cut off about 3-4 inches off the bottom of the 40-meter section against much verbal abuse of my all-knowing friend.
I have spent so much time on this because the insistance of my close friend that I must have done something wrong because his works . I got resonance at 7.240 but the input impedance is at about 25 ohms at zero XL/XC ... I read several other posts on uTube and ham site that other discribe the same issue but they have not posted a working solution. I don't know if my experience is an exception or if this is a norm but given the 80 Meter coil broke easily ... and that several house clamps quit working and the two conficlting instuction manuals I would never buy another 6BVT

W4NNF Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2019 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Update to my 6BTV review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just a minor update.

In my review I mentioned that the antenna I received had instructions from Hustler and DX Engineering that reflected an older version with a different means of securing the 80-meter whip. I don't know what I was doing (or drinking), but the DX Engineering manual is 100% correct. The Hustler manual does show the older system. Kudos to DX Engineering to contacting me to point this out. They are certainly on top of things and, as you can tell from the review, are highly recommended by me.

W4NNF
Rod Mollise

KD2OAM Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2019 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Easy Install and Tune  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After researching the type of vertical antenna I wanted to install in my small back yard, I settled on the Hustler 6BTV vertical antenna, purchased through DX Engineering.

I purchased a full kit with most everything needed for the installation. With the instruction from DX Engineering installation was straight forward.

I was able to cut the radials, solder the ends on and install the radials on the radial plate in my basement. Using plastic zip ties I just moved the whole assembly out and over the mounting pipe at one time and then spread out the radials. I installed 40 radials, cut to 25 feet to stay within my back yard.

I would recommend installing the antenna on a tilt mount, as this makes it easy for the tuning process. Tuning was, again, easy and I can use the antenna without the use of any tuner.
I have yet to make any contacts on 10M or 15M due to conditions but have made some fantastic contacts on 40M and 20M. The 80/75M band works but is not as good as my wire antenna.
I believe the Hustler 6BTV, purchased through DX Engineering, was well worth the money and time spent putting it up.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2018 04:43 Send this review to a friend
Simple and effective  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a postage stamp sized yard and no decent trees for wire antennas. I spent many hours reviewing the antenna literature and made the decision to go with a multiband vertical since that fit my operating needs. I went with the Hustler. I'm glad I did.

The antenna assembled very easily. One ham had a 9 year old kid put one together for him. Nothing to it. But that's only half the battle. You are going to need radials if you get one of these. I read everything I could find from Rudy Severns and Dr Jerry Sevick (from the early '70s) to get up to speed. Long story short: many 1/8th wave radials are more effective than a few half wave radials. Which is fortunate because I don't have much room, so put down 32 sixteen foot radials. As they say, "you work with what you got". Tuning with an analyzer was really pretty simple. Mine needed no adjustment on 10 and 15 and only very little on the other bands.

I run WSPR regularly so thats the only semi-objective information that I can offer. My former antenna was a GAP monobander and before that a Challenger. Overall I am getting better reports with the Hustler on 20, about the same on 40 and now have 30 meters. On 80 there's no comparison. The Challenger isn't cited for it's 80 meter prowess. Tonight I'm running 1 watt on that band and the Hustler is consistently hitting all three coasts and getting decodes from EA8 land. That surprised me!

So for my situation and operating needs this has proven to be a very effective antenna. It's well built and the design is ages old and known to just work. Every antenna will have some trade offs but these I can live with. Make the effort to get down some radials.

N8GAB Rating: 4/5 Nov 24, 2018 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Great with a good radial system  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The reason I gave this a 4 instead of a 5 is because the tuning instructions are confusing, if not backwards.

I bought the DX Engineering package with the tilt-over plate and radial plate - which I recommend whole heartedly. It gives you all you need though it doesn't save any money.

If you put in a good radial system (more than 20 wires) you will probably want to order extra packages of the crimping wire terminals and SS bolts which connect the extra radials to the radial plate.

After installation and tuning I found this an excellent vertical antenna. I have 28 66' radials and 14 33' radials (all 14g stranded - nearly 2500' total) and, with an antenna tuner, I get excellent service on all bands.

So far I have made contacts with Germany, Italy, Switzerland and other European countries, as well as Brazil and Japan. I have even heard NZ and Australia.

The importance of a good radial system cannot be over emphasized.

I had trouble tuning the antenna at first because I was following the directions from Hustler and DX Engineering.

The tuning problem comes from the directions that tell you to adjust from the top of the trap. But this causes the silicon O-rings to come out of the trap and means you have to re-weatherproof the joint with, preferably, silicon fusion tape. Tuning is also very difficult this way.

(An antenna analyzer is very helpful, if not necessary, for this.)

After spending an hour or more just trying to get 10 meters tuned, we started adjusting the tube that ends just before the trap and found that much easier. We also didn't dislocate silicon O-rings that keep the top of the traps water tight.

So, all in all, with a strong radial system (which takes up nearly half an acre) this can be an excellent vertical antenna that gives you 360 degree radiation and reception.

I may be wrong in the way we tuned the antenna. You results may vary.

We also used automotive aluminum anti-seize compound on all the joints. It is messy, but I expect it to be worth it if I ever have to re-tune or take down the antenna.

K2II Rating: 3/5 Sep 30, 2018 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Barely acceptable. Extremely noisy vertical  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Briefly, the Hustler 6BTV just barely is acceptable. It is a very noisy, low performance antenna. I have 40 radials and yet bandwidth on 40 and (of course) 80 are VERY narrow. Am using a 1:1 common mode balun at the feed point.
Construction is very good (using the DX Engineering reinforced lower section). I have been forced to put up alternative antennas since the Hustler is a non performer during most times.
The motto 'a vertical radiates poorly in all directions' is very accurate when applied to the 6BTV vertical.

W7GEM Rating: 4/5 Sep 12, 2017 18:19 Send this review to a friend
My first Vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
I still have two 6BTVs. I had one for my back yard and one for field trips. They work and are better transmitting than receiving antennas. Way too noisy and narrow bandwidth. Easy to rig a 17 meter addition which I often used with good results. If you have a big lot and room for all of the radials, it can be an excellent vertical antenna but not as good as any decent dipole setup. For field trips...takes a looong time to put in enough radials. I have a nice pipe rack on my truck. so I can mount it about 6 feet off the ground and it does work better there.

K1LEM Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2017 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Great and Better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am rewriting this review because the other had typos. I have had the 5 BTV ground mounted for about 2 weeks. So far with 450-500 watts I score 19-20 db out of noise even on 80 meters, where of course the short physical length make the antenna less effective.
The great reviews I have read about this little antenna certainly are real. Last night one cq on low end 40, I am heard from Ireland to the Southern Island of New Zealand. You can be that.

KG5RJR Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2017 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Love this antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was my FIRST vertical and I've LOVED every minute of having it on the Air so far. Tuning it was a bit of an ADVENTURE but with some help from Elmer's in the area got it on the air and have worked 80-10.

I do have plans to obtain the ADD ON band kits to add additional bands to this as well.

Used DX Engineerings Omni Tilt, makes bringing it down in bad weather GREAT! Also would recommend their Choke and Radial Plate for this.