Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | Hustler 6BTV Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler 6BTV Vertical
Hustler 6BTV Vertical Reviews: 160 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $189.99
Description: 6btv
More info: http://www.new-tronics.com/main/html/base_hf_6_band.html

You can write your own review of the Hustler 6BTV Vertical.

K1DX Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2005 14:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent bang for the buck  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I primarily use this antenna on 80/40/30M CW to pick up band countries. However, during a "phone" contest, I do readjust it for that weekend then return it to CW use.

Overall, the antenna plays very well. I does have a fairly narrow bandwidth on 80M, but that's the nature of short, loaded verticals. I have about 30 radials, mostly about 2" below ground and some old radials laying in the sod.

The only complaint I'd have is the significant affect the wx has on the resonance. During a rainstorm, the resonance drops well below the band edge, but fortunately, the Quadra's tuner brings it in where it is usable.

This antenna compares favorably with several other multi-band verticals that I've tried. This one is the most cost-effective. And it's easy to tune in difficult situations. My aluminum sided house made it impossible to properly tune a GAP Challenger (which beat everything on 40M), but the 6BTV tuned up after some light pruning.

N0XM Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2004 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned, and have been using, a 6BTV for just over three years. It has served me well. I have it ground mounted with no radials. It has been pretty easy to achieve an extremely low SWR on all of the bands it is designed to operate. It has done well withg our strong Kansas winds, even with a load of ice on it. I'm pleased with its low angle of radiation. Have worked all continents on CW with this antenna running 100W to 800W. It, in my mind, is one of the best comprimise antennas available for the money.

N0XE Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2004 15:06 Send this review to a friend
The Standard  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am always amazed at the reviews that want to attack this vertical. Fist this is not a full sized 1/4 wave antenna on the lower bands and it is not going to perform like a full size dipole at 60 feet, especially on close in contacts, it is a vertical and has a lower take off angle of radiation and DX is where it will work the best and only if properly installed. Yes radials are the key or elevate it and you can run fewer but tuned radials and it will perform even better. It seems a lot of hams want to buy a multi-band vertical and expect it to act just like their G5RV at 30 feet and expect increased S meter readings, ability to work the world on one antenna that will meet all their expectations and in the real world this is not going to happen, Verticals can be great antennas but you need to understand the theory behind them and do some good old fashion reading on the subject and not give a negative review based on emotion, SWR, less then optimum ground and soil conditions and especially radio conditions. There are way too many vairables in the formula to make quick judgements, this antenna has been around for decades, it is like any other shorten commercial vertical, it needs to be installed properly, lots of radials (if ground mounted especially) and should be considered a member of the antenna arsonal. There will be times when the dipole will always do better then the vertical, especially if the dipole is at low heights and you are working close in contacts and local nets, but there is also times when a properly mounted vertical will outperform the dipole, and at times even a beam. The Hustler is a good antenna, well made and covering a small portion of 80 is just what it should do , as being short it's efficiency is the key, not it's swr curve, in fact if the swr curve is too generous then you probably have a problem with ground loss and you need to add even more radials. This antenna is the best priced commercial vertical out there and hats off to Hustler for not going crazy on price like so many of the other companies have done in the last seveal years. This is a buy, but understand what you are getting when you buy it and what is can do and what it will not do. All hams should read ON4UN's book on low band DXing, it is the Bible and covers verticals so you can really understand what is going on and how to make them really play.
73 Jim N0XE

KB9YLU Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2004 19:50 Send this review to a friend
super antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
i was scared to get a vertical,i heard so many bad things. well i have one and its great! ez to install i dont even have radials and its one contact after another.the price is great the perfomance is wonderful 80m is tight thats about all i can say thats wrong. hustler has done a great job i will buy more antennas from them if they are half as good as this one thanks again hustler!!!!!! 73's

KD7I Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2004 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Serious DX and CC&R friendly  Time owned: more than 12 months
You've read all the other reviews with details concerning installation and performance. I will wholeheartedly second them all and add my 2-cents worth. This antenna is a winner in every way.

I have had mine ground-mounted in the back yard for nearly two years. I have 32 radials, each 25 feet long, buried two inches deep. It has survived 70mph winds with no guy wires.

I live in an area where CC&R's specifically say that no external antenna may be visible from any ajoining lots. I solved the problem by slipping a white PVC pipe over the antenna with a pulley and rope to hoist a flag to the top. It makes a great flag pole and I'm in strict compliance with the CC&R's. No one can actually see my antenna. They can only see a white flag pole.

The 6BTV has performed well through all four seasons including a long winter with the mounting bracket completely covered in snow. Through those winter months I participated in many contests and am completely satisfied. I have enjoyed QSOs from all over the globe running a TS-570S at 100 watts.

Yes, I would love to put up a beam with legal-limit power. Since that will never happen at this QTH, I will recommend the 6BTV to everyone who finds themselves with similar restrictions. At 100 watts, this antenna may not be the strongest voice in the pile-ups, but make no mistake, it is a serious DX antenna.

N9VO Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2004 16:07 Send this review to a friend
5btv works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know this is the 6btv and I have the 5btv but I couldn't resist since the last reviewer gave it a 0 and doesn't even have one. Hey if you don't like a product fine, but how can you review and give a 0 when you don't even have the product. Complain in another area or whatever but please keep the reviews to actual product use. I do have a hustler vertical (albeit a 5btv) and it works great. I do/did realize that it works much better with radials, the more the merrier. It should be a requirement to actually own or at least be using a product before reviewing.

W0CP Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2004 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an antenna farm with several yagis, quads, verticals, etc. I wanted something to use as a reference antenna and to take on FD and trips. I have owned multi-band verticals from other manufacturers, including trapless designs. This antenna impresses me with the quality of construction, simplicity (ease of adjustment, assembly), and relative performance. Its performance is comparable to any vertical I've owned but it's better made and cheaper. Good radials are a must for optimum performance. Mine is ground mounted and I use "gutter guard" aluminum chicken wire strips attached to the ground with yard staples. The grass grows up through them and they disappear after a while.

V73NS Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2004 00:02 Send this review to a friend
Needs hardware upgrade  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used these in the past and they always perform well. I was given one when I was a Novice and wore that one out. Now I have another and have only one complaint about it... the hardware. This applies to the 4, 5 and 6BTV.

Half of the supplied hardware is either steel or low grade stainless. The steel washers and screws were easy to spot. The lock washers look like stainless, and are, but a very low grade of stainless and slightly magnetic. You should always check your hardware with a magnet. Toss em and hit the hardware store for real stainless hardware. They are not the first company to skimp on good hardware and not the last.

Take a magnet with you... you want the TOTALLY non-magnetic hardware!
I live in a harsh marine environment where things don't rust... they dissolve!

Time spent repairing something is time taken away from operating!

Neil
V73NS

N8QN Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2004 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Good value great dx.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
V31,MM0,8R1,J37,VP8,3B8,VP9,5V7,ZL,HC,ZF2,HK0,JT1,FG5,KP2,T77,CN,R1FJ,JY,D4,TJ3,5W0,VP5,and 3B9C,8 times, thats the fairly good ones...Purchased the 6BTV on 2/12/04.Running 100 watts,ground mounted with 15 radials.
Thats my input.
73.

W4SK Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2004 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a simple (read "cheap") antenna for use at my office. After reading all the reviews I could find, and considering the initial cost factor, I got the 6BTV. It is installed in the ground mount configuration. This is not a 'quick and easy' deal if done right, owing to the guying, radials, and balun at the feedpoint. I installed mine with the DX Engineering base, and sixteen 50' radials buried 2" deep. I wound my own balun (ten turns, 6") inside of a 6" PVC joint connector (any decent hardware store), which provides a nice form AND protection for the coil. Yes, the bandwidth is narrow on 80m. No, this thing will not perform like a tower and beam. Yes, the construction is excellent. No, you wont be Top Dawg in the pileups. However, I have been very pleased with my 6BTV. No additional adjustments were necessary - NONE - following original assembly using the supplied measurements. Performance wise, it is quite superior to the multi-band dipole and G5RV which it has replaced. I like it, and would buy again.