Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | Hustler 6BTV Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler 6BTV Vertical
Hustler 6BTV Vertical Reviews: 157 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $189.99
Description: 6btv
More info: http://www.new-tronics.com/main/html/base_hf_6_band.html

You can write your own review of the Hustler 6BTV Vertical.

W5GNB Rating: 2/5 Nov 12, 2003 14:29 Send this review to a friend
Good Design/Poor Constion  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is very well designed but the construction during the production process needs some real attention. After reading many other reviews, I found that the problems I experienced were very similar.
I first set the antenna up without ground radials. After adding Four resonate radials Per Band, I found that antenna tuning did not really change much.
The antenna does not tune up well right out of the box. Having 40-Plus years professional experience in antenna design and building really helped get this antenna up and running HIHIHI....
In my case, the antenna was way off on 15-meters (1-MHZ Low) and on 30 meters it was 500-KHZ high. The other bands were within useable specs even though the SWR was high on all but 10 meters. To correct the problems, I finally had to actually CUT the inner connecting tubes between the traps to obtain resonance. My other option was to break into the traps and add or remove wire but I opted not to do that at this point.
Once I got things into resonance, the antenna performs very well. I think if these folks could get past the unstable production problems that seem to be inbedded, they would have a superior product.

W4JKL Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2003 15:45 Send this review to a friend
A fine utility antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this antenna since the '70s. I bought it as a 4BTV, upgraded to a 5BTV a few years later, then upgraded last year to a 6BTV. When I first got the antenna, I used the quarter wavelength radials suggested in the user manual and was disappointed. When I moved, I mounted the antenna on the chimney with the quarter wavelength radials. Better, but still a disappointment. Next time I moved, I consulted the ARRL Antenna Book and found the table showing number of radials vs length vs (essentially) dB below a dipole. What a revelation! Ground mounted, with 32, 0.1 wavelength radials (at 80m) the antenna performs per the book, about 2 to 3 dB below the dipole (half an S unit). So, if you put one of these up, stretch out as many radials as you can. I used #14 insulated house wire from Home Depot (cheap). Just lay them out on the ground and use coathanger wire to pin them down. The grass will cover them in about a year. Put six or seven ferrite beads at the antenna and at the rig and enjoy. Fiddle the section lengths roughly for the resonant frequencies you typically use and then use a tuner to move around. I've just put Dave's, WX7G, top hat on it and I'm enjoying 160 meters with it. With a VP-1 adapter I plan to have an 8BTV. (You do know the RM-60 will work on top of it, don't you?)

NU5O Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2003 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent above ground!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was recently given the 6BTV vertical by a friend to use in Papua New Guinea. Here is what I like about Hustler: The bottom mast was too long to go in my big suitcase (everything else fit fine); I called Hustler, they returned my call and in 3 days I had a sleeve pipe so I could cut the bottom pipe in two pieces and get it in my suitcase. They were very helpful with recommendations as well.

This is what I like about the antenna:
In Lae, I mounted the antenna about 15 feet above the ground at the edge of our roof. Our roof is an iron roof that consists of 3 disconnected 60 ft by 40 ft pieces of roofing iron. Per Hustler's instructions, I did not ground the antenna to the roof but mounted its base straight into a 4 x 4 at the edge of the roof. Results were dismal. I would switch from my loop antenna to the vertical and signals would disappear. I checked it with my MFJ antenna analyzer and the SWR was great on every band.

After a few QSO's with some VK's I decided to bond the ground side of the antenna to the roofing iron. The results were stunning! I could hear signals down below at the radio jump out of the speaker. As I tied each of the other two pieces of roofing iron to the first, the signals increased even more.

Now here is the rub: When I did this, the resonant point of the antenna dropped way down on every band. On 20 it was 13.5 mhz, on 40 6.4 Mhz-you get the idea. I then shortened everything possible on the antenna without cutting the pipe. This brought it to resonance on 20-80 meters and in the CW portion of 15 meters. 10 meters was out the door.

I also installed a Radioworks line isolator at the feedpoint and the noise dropped about 1 S unit and I had no problems with RF feedback.

Results: over 45 countries on 75/80 meters. Far better than the Carolina Windom it replaced. On 40 meters I worked many stations state side on SSB and noted that my 40 meter loop was better into California and the midwest but I heard stations about 1 S unit better on the east coast with the vertical. There were times on all bands that the loop was better but the vertical was only about 1-2 S units down.

I did use an antenna tuner with the antenna just to be on the safe side but it was a minimal match on every band except 10 meters.

Hustler advised me that if you ground the antenna to the roof it would act more like a dipole. That may be true, but if so, its the best dipole I have ever used.

When I return, I plan to shorten the 10 meter section to bring the SWR in line on that band as well.

The antenna is solid. I did guy it as suggested and it survived several severe thunderstorms with 40-50 mph winds.

With Hustler's great attitude towards service and a well built product, I would buy one without hesitation.

73 de Andy Masters P29AM

KB9IV Rating: 2/5 Oct 19, 2003 17:14 Send this review to a friend
OK........But  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've errected the 6BTV at ground height and here are my observations.

The measurements supplied in the real world are way off. 10 Fine 15 Way Low 20 Way High (out of Band) 30 Fine 40 Fine, 80 Fine.
I cannot get 15 & 20 to mid-band no matter what. Remember I'm doing it alone and its difficult to put up back and down holding the botttom of the tube. I had to make the 80M whip 5"'s shorter than the table called for...what gives??

My biggest complaint is the solder lug connector on the bottom to feed it........come on Hustler this is 2003 NOT 1933. Where is the jack??? Exposes everything to moisture unless you add RTV and worse yet there is no strain relief on these vulnerable joints.

I didn't choose wisely on the antenna. Perhaps in the Spring I'll get something built properly.

Bill KB9IV

KA4LPH Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2003 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A friend of mine in Colorado purchased a 6BTV and commented on how he was impressed with it, so I bought one too.

I live in the high desert and the soil is VERY dry. I own an open lot in the back of my house and the 6BTV is placed right in the middle of the lot. I have 32 thirty foot radials on the ground. The wire is black 14 gauge, insulated wire. I capped off the ends with twist wire connectors as to isolate the ends from the ground (for neatness rather than RF properties). I also used ring terminals and a longer bolt for the radials. I also used three ropes with three wooden stakes for guying (painted the wooden stakes for protection).

At first I could not get the antenna to tune per the specifications; however, I did notice that I had the radials slightly above ground (maybe 5 inches or so). I attributed this inability to tune the antenna to this elevation. I lowered the radials to where they met the ground right after leaving the base of the antenna and fanned out evenly, making consistent contact with the ground -- that was the trick, as I tuned the antenna exactly as the specifications indicated. I did not bury the radials but left them on the surface of the ground and they work just fine. You do not need to use tuned radials unless you are doing an elevated mount. The ground detunes them anyway.

40 is determined to stay at 1:5.1 no matter what I do to the antenna. 80 is narrow, and I mean NARROW. I have to use a tuner to move around on that band and on 40 meters. I cut about 7 inches off the tip rod and that worked fine to tune 80, but man if you breath off the resonate frequency, the SWRs move up and up rapidly. 40 moves a little slower. 30 is 1:1.1 across the band! 15 is perfect. 10 meters is prefect too.

Gary at Newtronics is awesome. He is friendly and is readily available. He helped me with 30 meters and it tunes to 1:1.1 now.

All in all, with all my rambling -- a fine antenna for those who have room for radials and have the patience to take it down and put it up a few times to tune it. I used a ladder until I couldn't reach the areas I needed to tune and then I took it down.

Take care and thanks again Gary at Newtronics!

N6VUJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2003 20:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Hustler 6BTV vertical is a great antenna I've had mine up for about 10 months and it works like a charm.

I put it up with sixteen 25' ground radial slightly buried under it.

You will find as you add radials the bandwidth will narrow but your ERP will increase.

I did have to adjust the traps to get it to resonate, but with some patience it comes right in.

This is without a doubt the best HF vertical I've ever owned!

K5YY Rating: 4/5 Jan 19, 2003 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Very Adequate vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Will try to be brief. Takes a lot of "up and down" to get resonant points correct. 28MC was very hard to get near 2:1 and two dips were at 27.9 and 29.4. Got tired of trying to improve. I got this for 30m low angle and 80/40 CW work. Bottom of vertical is about 6 feet up with 2 radials each for 80 and 30m cut to 1/4 wave and running basically horizontal to ground close to each other. Put one 1/4 wave radial for 40m. These are NOT high radials and not on the ground but I think 5-6 feet up is enough isolation. SWRs smoothed out with the radials and each one added created about a 20KC movement in resonant freq. Be prepared to put some effort into getting it to play properly. Since I have a beam for 20-10 I use the vertical only on 80-30m, so the squirrely SWR picture on 28 is no big deal to me and 2:1 is OK for most bands below 30MC anyway. The vertical is 1 " S unit" stronger on 80 and 30M compared to 140 foot dipole fed with twin lead/balun that I also use with its apex at 38 feet. Perhaps higher dipoles would outperform this antenna but sometimes that is the EXACT reason we buy a vertical, can't get dipole "up there" at 60 feet!! Traps seem adequate and 2KW seems right, compared to 1500 w on other trap verticals I looked at. Overall, good alternative to all other trap verticals and limited dipole space. Price is right too.. Always good to have something like this for a "second antenna" position and your 2nd rig and to monitor in an "omnidirectional" pattern.. My 2 cents worth - - San K5YY

KK6JX Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2003 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Good ant, works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had no problems installing the ant as per the instructions. It works well, esp for dx. It is narrow on 80 but that was expected. For a shack with limited space it fits the bill. I ground mounted it with no radials (rental house). I have also had 0 problems with rfi after putting the 6" 10 turn coils in as per the instructions, I was previously having rfi in the TV when using a inverted Vee. 73

K1GUY Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2002 22:02 Send this review to a friend
Well Made Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just had to respond after reading the recent post by W7IS. I have had the hustler for under a month. It arrived very well packaged and all parts plus extra nuts and washers were included.
I had some tech questions because of my unusual location for the antenna (at the edge of a cliff)
The response by Gary at hustler was quick, informative and helpfull. Installation was straightforward and simple. I left the antenna initially without radials, the grownd was very wet and it performed well on a 4ft steel tube. A couple of weeks later the snow came and with it, the performance was better than the published reports...must have been a perfact ground plane. As it melted, so did my SWR...still under 2 for all bands except 75/80.. So I hooked up my Vectronics antenna tuner, and SWRs were easily made flat....then I installed radials per the instructions from Hustler...with number 10 wire.
The end result was what I had hoped for...A great performer, and at my QTH equal to the Windom 80 I had up prior to a storm taking it down. All things considered (cant put up a tower) I prefer using the Hustler even though it breaks some of my rules of avoiding traps. The antenna is well made and I dont foresee any problems. Expect excellent performance on 10 thru 40 meter, with a bit down on 80.... I just broke through a pile up on a DX station on 40 tonite but couldn't get through another on 80. If you have a difficult QTH for a vertical antenna, use radials is my suggestion...great improvement with radials...elevate the radials if you can which I am in the process of doing....and yes, an antenna tuner will improve the performance of this vertical. I am a very satisfied customer and would likely buy another hustler vertical.

N0XE Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2002 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Mostly good reviews  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna has been around for decades. It is pretty obvious the previous reviewer must have had a truly defective antenna and that is rare for Hustler. Their Quality Control is usually pretty good. Like all multiband shorten Vertical Antennas, there will be many factors that affect your individual exeperience and performance with this antenna. Hustler has made very rugged antennas for years, if the quality has gone down, it is definetly a sad day for ham radio.
I looked over all the reviews on this antenna and even those who have bought the recent model, most all say excellent, so hopefully Hustler is still making them like they should. You need radials or a good couterpoise period!! It is easy to blame poor performance on an antenna when many times there may be other reasons the antenna is not performing as expected.
A Short trapped Vertical is a compromised antenna, so don't expect miracles, it is not going to happen. If they are well designed and installed correctly they can do pretty well and thousands of hams have used these and the mobile models for years. I have owned 3 of them over the years and they always did a pretty good job considering their limitations. If you can put up a full size dipole for each band and get them up 50 to 60 feet them you will probably get better signal reports, especially on stateside contacts. The Vertical is a low angle radiator and needs a good radial system to really perform. DX signals may many times be better on the Vertical when stateside reports may be very poor. A good investment for all hams is to buy the ARRL antenna book, and actually read it, ON4UN's low band DX book is another must in my opinion. Happy Holidays to all and good DX.
73 N0XE