Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | Hustler 6BTV Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hustler 6BTV Vertical
Hustler 6BTV Vertical Reviews: 160 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $189.99
Description: 6btv
More info: http://www.new-tronics.com/main/html/base_hf_6_band.html

You can write your own review of the Hustler 6BTV Vertical.

KK6JX Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2003 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Good ant, works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had no problems installing the ant as per the instructions. It works well, esp for dx. It is narrow on 80 but that was expected. For a shack with limited space it fits the bill. I ground mounted it with no radials (rental house). I have also had 0 problems with rfi after putting the 6" 10 turn coils in as per the instructions, I was previously having rfi in the TV when using a inverted Vee. 73

K1GUY Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2002 22:02 Send this review to a friend
Well Made Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just had to respond after reading the recent post by W7IS. I have had the hustler for under a month. It arrived very well packaged and all parts plus extra nuts and washers were included.
I had some tech questions because of my unusual location for the antenna (at the edge of a cliff)
The response by Gary at hustler was quick, informative and helpfull. Installation was straightforward and simple. I left the antenna initially without radials, the grownd was very wet and it performed well on a 4ft steel tube. A couple of weeks later the snow came and with it, the performance was better than the published reports...must have been a perfact ground plane. As it melted, so did my SWR...still under 2 for all bands except 75/80.. So I hooked up my Vectronics antenna tuner, and SWRs were easily made flat....then I installed radials per the instructions from Hustler...with number 10 wire.
The end result was what I had hoped for...A great performer, and at my QTH equal to the Windom 80 I had up prior to a storm taking it down. All things considered (cant put up a tower) I prefer using the Hustler even though it breaks some of my rules of avoiding traps. The antenna is well made and I dont foresee any problems. Expect excellent performance on 10 thru 40 meter, with a bit down on 80.... I just broke through a pile up on a DX station on 40 tonite but couldn't get through another on 80. If you have a difficult QTH for a vertical antenna, use radials is my suggestion...great improvement with radials...elevate the radials if you can which I am in the process of doing....and yes, an antenna tuner will improve the performance of this vertical. I am a very satisfied customer and would likely buy another hustler vertical.

N0XE Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2002 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Mostly good reviews  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna has been around for decades. It is pretty obvious the previous reviewer must have had a truly defective antenna and that is rare for Hustler. Their Quality Control is usually pretty good. Like all multiband shorten Vertical Antennas, there will be many factors that affect your individual exeperience and performance with this antenna. Hustler has made very rugged antennas for years, if the quality has gone down, it is definetly a sad day for ham radio.
I looked over all the reviews on this antenna and even those who have bought the recent model, most all say excellent, so hopefully Hustler is still making them like they should. You need radials or a good couterpoise period!! It is easy to blame poor performance on an antenna when many times there may be other reasons the antenna is not performing as expected.
A Short trapped Vertical is a compromised antenna, so don't expect miracles, it is not going to happen. If they are well designed and installed correctly they can do pretty well and thousands of hams have used these and the mobile models for years. I have owned 3 of them over the years and they always did a pretty good job considering their limitations. If you can put up a full size dipole for each band and get them up 50 to 60 feet them you will probably get better signal reports, especially on stateside contacts. The Vertical is a low angle radiator and needs a good radial system to really perform. DX signals may many times be better on the Vertical when stateside reports may be very poor. A good investment for all hams is to buy the ARRL antenna book, and actually read it, ON4UN's low band DX book is another must in my opinion. Happy Holidays to all and good DX.
73 N0XE

M3CMA Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2002 12:37 Send this review to a friend
What a first class antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I should like to start this review by thanking those people who kindly responded to my e-mails asking for not only pre-purchase assistance but also those who confirmed various technical points afterwards.

My first impression having had the antenna delivered on a Saturday morning was how well boxed the 'kit' was. This turned out to be It was an ease to put together, the instructions were clear and included appropriate diagrams.

I have my antenna ground mounted, fixed to a 4 foot pole hammered into the ground, alongside which I have put a 6 foot earth rod with an appropriate strap between the two poles. The antenna itself was put together following the instructions with the appropriate distances left between pole sections etc.

Connected it to my radio and swr was well within 1.2 - 1.8 on all bands. I was very pleased indeed not to have to make any changes at this stage.

Performance, well as a M3 I am limited to 10W so have not been able to put the antenna through its paces as such. I am now able to receive on all bands a far cleaner, louder signal than on my long wire.
Great product for my limited space, I even have the ability to take it down after use so as not to cause a visual impression to neighbours etc.

N8XE Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2002 21:15 Send this review to a friend
Awesome with radials  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a bad experience with the GAP Eagle (which I think is partially operator error on my part) so I though having a vertical was out. However, I read the vertical article by Steve Katz, WB2WIK, on eham.net and decided to try again. This time, I wanted to do it right!

Reading the article, it stated that verticals (1/4W) need a good ground plane to work right. Now if you are blessed to live by the sea, you have as close to perfect as you could get! However, I live in central ohio which has fair to good ground. I decided on the Hustler because of price (this is an experiment here, don't want to put too much into this). Picked it up at the radio store and went to work.

First, I cut the radials. I cut 68 20' radials using solid #14 wire. That took a little while. I assembled the antenna which is pretty simple. Tubes and traps is pretty much it! On to installing it!!

I put 31 of 68 radials down (because it was getting dark) and hooked up the antenna. Ran the coax to the RCS4 switch so that I can do A/B comparisons with my DXLB+ Inverted V Dipole up at 35'.

First, I checked SWR. 80 Meters is off the chart. Don't know what the deal is with that. I am sure that it is probably my error or a bad trap. 30 is about 2:1 across the entire band. 20 starts out at 1.5:1 at the lower part of the band, 1:1 at 14.200, and then goes to 1.2:1 at the upper band edge. 15 and 10 are about the same with 1.2:1 at the edges.

Now came the A/B test. 9L1AB was active on 40, so I tuned to his signal to see a difference. On the dipole, he was unreadable in the noise. On the vertical, he was about S3-5. He QSX'd before I decided to work him. On various other DX stations, I was getting the same type of difference. On 20, a DX station (don't remember the call) was readable, but not moving the S meter at all on the dipole. On the vertical, he was a solid S5.

Stateside, the vertical and the dipole were about the same.

In conclusion, I am totally amazed at the performance of this antenna. It is a little noisier, but this is to be expected with a vertical (omnidirectional). I got this antenna to be a go-to, second radio antenna. But it appears that it is the best performing antenna so far. The beam goes up in a couple of weeks. It will be interesting to hear the difference between the beam and the vertical.

N2DUB Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2002 01:43 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am pleased with this antenna overall. I chimney mounted mine using four angle iron and two threaded rods to attach as a chimney support, and then u-bolted the mast to the angle iron. The antenna base fits perfectly on a 1-1/4" outer diameter pipe, and must be insulated from a metal mast. I found the best way to accomplish this was to use 1" galvanized pipe inside 1-1/4" PVC. This gave it strength, but allowed me to slide the assembly up and down the PVC without worrying about keeping an insulator in place. I installed with 2 radials for each band as per the instructions and the antenna was resonant or close to it in 5 out of 6 bands right away. The only band that wasn't good was ten meters. After adjusting as far as I could without improvement, I added four more radials for ten meters and like magic the antenna was resonant on ten meters as well. Antenna performance is good. I worked a ZL on twenty meters at two in the morning, so I took that as a good sign. I've used it mostly on CW and digital, and reports have been good. Keep in mind, this is no three element tri-bander and is no competition for a rotatable beam, but is great value for the price and ease of installation and low maintenance. For under $200, this antenna is well worth it, and a much better value than the comparable Cushcraft product which is more than twice the money. This antenna is also a good choice for portable operations, like Field Day.

WA7NDD Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2002 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Installed elevated 6BTV  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this vertical because it is a true 1/4 wave vertical at a very good price. Also I can not climb anymore and I wanted a good DX antenna. I knew before I bought it I would install it in an elevated location a few inches above the end of my house above a metal roof, and take eight radials out the other direction laying them on a flat roof five feet away. I am not one of thoes who run out and install an antenna in a half-a-day and call it good. I wanted this antenna to work well. I installed the radial connections, and guy ropes to be disconnected quickley, because I mounted the vertical on a wooden mast that can lay over from the edge of the house and make all repairs and adjustments with only climbing to the base on a ladder to disconnect the two radial connections, and dissconect the three guy ropes with a simble click out at the point of attachment at the buiding around the antenna. This all took three weeks to do and tune the antenna.

Tuning the antenna was easy. The instructions said as the counterpoise gets better the antenna gets shorter. I set all adjustments to zero in cluding the 80 meter whip. I first looked at the tuning with just the metal roof, which is substantial, connected. Using and MFJ 259 analizer all bands but 80 meters were just fine with in the band edges, 40 meters was 2:1 starting a 7Mhz and stayed with in 2:1 past 7.3 Mhz. 10 meters covered the first 500 Kc's within 2:1,15 meters and 20 meters were all with in 2:1.
80 meters with 30" of whip showing was 35Kc wide centered on 3.44Mhz.

I connected the second set of wire radials cut to the instructions suggested length. 10 meters droped right in with 2:1 at 28Mhz and 2:1 at 29Mhz. 40 meters moved to 2:1 at 7.1 Mhz and 1:1 at 7.3 Mhz (The antenna got shorter). 10Mhz, 14Mhz, 15 Mhz, were dead on less the 2:1 across the entire band, and 10Mhz it was 1:1. I ended up cutting the 80 meter whip twice just to check the frequency change with the first cut. I ended up with a 40Khz band width centered on 3.7Mhz, and a 22" whip.

I never adjusted, or cut any of the tubing after I set everything to zero. I also did not want to cut the tubing to adjust 40 meters down to 2:1 at 7.0Mhz I left it at 7.1mhz. Everytime I adjusted the 80 meter whip, all I had to do was disconnect the two radial connections and lower the mast and put it back up.

I have alrady been able to work DX. I woked YV5SSB Sunday, and a JA3 the week before both with 59 reports. My dipoles did not give me 59 reports from DX stations. I have done a lot of A/B testing with the vertical and dipoles (home brew up 33 feet)just listening on the bands.Most bands in the states execpt for 10 meters I could tell little difference. On 10 meters I could hear more and stonger signals. But when the signal was from out of the U.S. to the east of me, I live in Idaho, there was a difenate two "S" units almost every time. The difference in the long hall signals between the dipole and the vertical gave the edge to the vertical. This is exactaly what I bought the vertical for. They are a well known low angele radiator when INSTALLED right. High is usually better.

In "my opinion" if you are not using radials your on water. Most of us are not on water, ( I am talking 1/4 wave verticales here.) and no mater what the advertisment says, even Hustler with its 4 foot pipe pounded into the ground and no radials needed routine, you need them. If you don't then you need a good recipe for cooked earth worms becasue that is where your RF is and what it is doing!

This antenna is built well, but does need guys if it is mounted like mine 10' off the ground. I made a special connector for my guy rope. I cut a donut shape from a piece of 1/4" very high quality fiber glass with three 1/4" holes on the outside edges. I slipped the donut over the top of the tubing above 20 meter coil. I parted metal cable eyes,or loops and put them through the 1/4" holes in the donut then put my nylon rope around the eyes and tyed them. I placed chain type spring opening links at the the other end of the ropes for quick disconnect. If a wet rope was going to bother my vertical, I never find out now.

I hope this has helped. I have read about so many hams that have had troubles with verticals, and most of it, at least to me, seems to be poor installation practices. Not taking time and doing it right.

One final thing. Yes, when I switch to the vertical I do hear more noise. But if you listen it not just noise it is more singnals, many very far away. You are now hearing 360 degrees. I have run many older radios in the past, but I do like my ICOM 706MKIIG. I do use a little secret to help me out a lot on the low bands. It's called a Clear Speech Base unit. Between it the the DSP in the raido I can hear signals come right out of the noise when all this is turned on. The Clear Speech makes the audio sound a bit like talking though water at times, but what the hack, I could not even here them before.

73's
Jim Griffith, WA7NDD

KC8TLF Rating: 3/5 Aug 20, 2002 17:47 Send this review to a friend
For around 180 shipped, you could do alot better in my opinion.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a new ham, so you can take my review with a grain of salt? Anyways, I bought this antenna so I could have all the bands and use almost no space. I bought some parts and some wire and had made a dipole for my first antenna. I didn't want the mess of dipoles running around the yard. Well, I got the Huslter 6btv and read the directions. Well, I was totally misinformed. I knew about the radials, but now how big they really had to be. Basically, they are the size of dipoles. I guess it doesn't make sense to me. Anyways, I decided to go by the directions and do teh ground mounting to try and save some face. Well, you have to drive a pole 4' into the ground it said. (Easier said than done when all you can find is a normal hammer. Thank goodness I lift weights) Between all pounding in the pole and the ground rods, I got quite a workout. Anyways, it seemed no matter how many ground rods I put in the ground, the antenna would not tune. I tried taking the wires from my homeade 40 meter dipole and get it to tune anywhere close to 40 meters. I couldn't get it to tune at all. I tried moving it around the yard. (More work!) and no luck. I had read that another ham had used his fence. I thought, well, I've spend all this time, I'm not giving up on it yet. Well, it says in the instructions that the better the ground the shorter it will be. I ended up making the antenna short as possilbe. It still needed to be shorter, but I was getting really tired of it and it was real close to where I wanted to talk. Started doing some listening and there was less air noise than my little homebrew dipole. It seemed I could hear most people decently. I tried to call for them and no luck. I made call after call night after night. Once in awhile I would have someone that was coming in really strong say that they could barely hear me and I'd have to repeat myself. It could be my aluminium sided house, shed, and fenced in area. It could also be my poor ground. I finally gave up on it and made a dual 40/80meter dipole.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2002 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Radials are important  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have not installed that antenna myself but have had Ham friends who have with good results, ground mounted they work good with out radials and roof mounted they work good with radials, I hve used Hustler antennas for years on mobiles with good results and the company is very good with technical help. 73s

K8BY Rating: 4/5 Jul 22, 2002 09:37 Send this review to a friend
It is a well constructed antenna.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am just about ready to install a 6btv..can anyone give me advice on closeness to house and trees, as far as the installation goes...I do not have some real estate but it is covered with trees, sidewalks etc...I understand they advise putting the vertical in a wide open area...that just is not possible at my qth...tns..Gary..K8BY