Reviews Categories | Ham Logging Software | CommCat Help

Reviews Summary for CommCat
CommCat Reviews: 37 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $49.95 d/l Demo d/l free
Description: DX/Logging program
More info: http://www.commcat.com

You can write your own review of the CommCat.

K9LZJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2012 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Great features  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After loading the software and having time to learn how this logging program works, I have become a big fan. It has all the features I need, and works very well with my K3. The DX spotting is just excellent, and gives you many ways to find and work new DX contacts. Commcat introduced me to MMVARI which I have found an excellent, and simple program to use of PSK and RTTY. They marry well.
Use the trial period and see what this program can do for your shack. 73, Hank K9LZJ

N6GY Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2012 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Great, and getting better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been asked to be a beta tester and I help find the little bugs before the latest version is released. My goal is to "break" it. This has become harder and harder to find fault. Howard provides excellant support to all. I used another software program from elsewhere, and it has not been regularly updated, and now recently sold to new owners. I am not impressed with the other programs nuances. I'm sticking with CommCat.
Rick N6GY

ZL3HA Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2012 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Fully featured and great support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I dont normally offer an opinion on software or hardware until I've used it extensively for a period of 6 months or more - and I will update this review at that point. However I'm compelled to write this to urge anyone who is currently looking at Logging software to check out CommCat. Its extensive feature set and the support provided by Howard and the user community are second to none.

I've used logging and various station control software since the early 90's and this has been the best experience by far!
Grant, ZL3JG/ZL3HA

N4WVE Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2012 17:15 Send this review to a friend
Best logging program you can buy!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used CommCat for about a year now, and have to say it is the best logging program EVER! It has never crashed and has the flexibility to use all four of my monitors at the same time. I chase DX and CommCat has every tool I need to move quickly from band to band with full rig control for my FT-2000. Howard gives the best support of all the programs I have owned (and I have owned them all). He has even answered my questions on weekends and holidays! CommCat integrates with HamCap and DXatlas and has a very reliable band scope. All the windows are sizeable and moveable and can be placed anywhere you want. If you have questions about this great logging software, please email me any time with questions!

Greg N4WVE

W6NSA Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2011 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Software - Unbelievable Support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you want to stuff an HF station in your iPhone, give CommCat and CommCat Mobile a try.

With just a couple of email messages Howard helped me get everything configured and running on a Mac and my iPhone.

My Icom IC-7200 is connected with a single USB cable to a MacBook Pro running CommCat on Windows XP in VirtualBox under Lion.

Should be lots of fun...

ZS6RJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2011 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, customizable and intuitive  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased CommCat as a replacement for my current logging software for which updates and support appear to be tailing off (Swisslog).

I expected I'd have to spend considerable time getting up to speed with the new software before adpoting it as my main logging system. Thanks to the logical layout of the menus, a very well written help system and great support from Howard and the CommCat Live forum I was proven wrong.

I spent more time having fun and playing with artwork for my QSL card designs than I did actually learning how to use the product. Great software!

73, Roger, ZS6RJ

KY6R Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2011 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is by far my favorite Windows7 based logging program. When my MacBook bit the dust yesterday, I downloaded the latest version of Commcat on this PC, and found out that my old CommCat license from 2005 or so was still honored by Howard. What a great product with superb support.

I imported my ADIF log file, connected it all up to my K3, and its just perfect. A perfect replacement for MacLoggerDX - which was my favorite Mac based logger.

G1HJW Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2011 18:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Program Great Support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been looking around some time for a program more suited to my like for DX hunting & found it in CommCat-4.

This program helps you spot the DX you want on the Band and Mode you want and displays it in a way that makes it so easy to use.

With all the rules you can custom setup its great you can go as far as to set it up with a an Audio ( speech) alarm, e-mail or Pager alarm for one band for one mode for one Extra Rare station call.

While still watching for all the other DX on a Band or Bands you want of any mode you want.

I did have a few problems to get it just as wanted, that was more by my own Erra's than any problems with the program.

I have to say I jumped in without reading all the words, like many Ham's do..

When I e-mailed Howard W6HN for help he was very helpful with my problems and I was so suprised how fast my emails were replyed to, fast was not the word 5min turn round on most emails has got to be a first for support for me.

Why did I go for this program to start with over others I seen around, Simple it did as a DX'er what I wanted it to do, It shows me in the best way what I need to see on my screen with out all the clutter that other programs tend to do.

N2QQF Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2010 07:37 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was very intrigued by the advertisement for the Commcat logging software and decided to buy it. At the time, I really did not need it becasue I was already using a good program N3FJP's AClog but something intrigued me to buy it thinking it would be nice to have another software. After buying the software I did not use it much other than a few times to backup my logs becasue I felt more comfortable using my other software. I had the unfortunate occurance of a computer crash which of course lost all of my logs. I luckily had them backed up on HRD-lognet and was able to reload them. This seemed liked the perfect time to try Commcat since I was starting over again.

Well, boy was I sorry I did not try it earlier. Commcat has a lot of great features and is packed with upgradeable items such as LIVE that you can broadcast realtime audio etc... There have been constant upgrades which is something alot of other programs lack. I am very pleased with commcat and I can now say I use this as my primary logging software. I will also say the free QSX'er is another great feature to use allowing other to see where you are operating on the air w/ S-meter readings as well. I also can't say enough about Howard who has helped me multiple times when I had some difficulties sorting things out. Howard is very responsive and more than willing to explain something and he always responds to any inquires I have had.

The software is packed with features and he is always improving it with updates that others seem to forget about. I would certinly spend the money again. It is worth the money hands down.

K6JW Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2009 09:09 Send this review to a friend
Mature and capable with great support.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was one of the very early, version 1 adopters of CommCat but, in 2004, I returned to a former logging program because I thought it offered a more refined and general set of capabilities. In more recent times, however, that program has been less well supported and has become somewhat overly burdened for its underlying architecture, making it awkward to accomplish certain tasks and, for some functions, annoyingly slow. As a result, I decided to take another look at CommCat and, after doing so, decided to transition to the currently available version 3. This, then, is my second review of CommCat, my first being written back in 2003, after using versions 1 and 2. Since then, the program has been steadily refined, and Iím happy to report that it runs very well on my XP machine. Support by Howard Nurse, W6HN, is as terrific as it was years ago. When, for example, it became evident that there were some obstacles to importing data from my former program, Howard created an update version of CommCat with a fix for the problem on the same day I contacted him. Then, when it turned out that in creating the fix, a problem with the spot manager had crept in, he immediately created another update that corrected the problem. In short, I was able to go live with the program within about 24 hours of my first attempt to import log data. The overall feel of the program is the same as it was back in versions 1 and 2, and thatís fine, since the program was well thought out from the get-go. The programís many capabilities are beyond the scope of this review, but suffice it to say that I can get the program to do just about anything I can think of, including but not limited to seamless interfacing of three separate radios, full rotator control, and packet/telnet/internet integration for spotting with the ability to set up rules for custom spot identification and triage to the log, callsign lookup, and entity status screens. Report generation is very capable, as is QSL label printing and, for those who want it, QSL designing and printing. The programís underlying structure allows it to run quickly and smoothly. Howard has also set up applications he calls MyQSX and CommCat Live. These are web applications that allow participating stations to be pinpointed on a map when active and to have their operating data listed on a web page. As from the beginning of its life, CommCat is still intended mainly for the DXer, but it is a capable program for general logging, as well. It is not meant to be a contest program and does not have a built in contest mode with associated event rules. What it does do is track the usual DX awards, and it has full LoTW connectivity. In summary, CommCat has become a mature logging application with all the bells and whistles a DXer could want, and it has truly great support from its creator. It should also be said that the cost is amazingly reasonable, being less than half the cost of my former program and with free upgrades, as well. (NOTE: I have no business relationship with CommCat or its creator.)