Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | DYC-817 Speech Compressor Help

Reviews Summary for DYC-817 Speech Compressor
DYC-817 Speech Compressor Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $45
Description: External dynamic compressor kit for FT-817/857/897
More info: http://www.box73.com

You can write your own review of the DYC-817 Speech Compressor.

KB3NWU Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2019 15:47 Send this review to a friend
Essential for 817  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this shortly after getting an 817nd. The difference really is amazing. Reports consistently say my signal increases at least 1 S-unit with much better audio, by simply turning it on. That is like turning your 5W rig into a 20W rig. The ability to easily throw a carrier is a very nice plus. It has "spoiled" me and I don't bother using my 817nd without it. Get one IF you still can. SOTABEAMS has been out of stock for awhile with "no due date yet."

DK2VS Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2019 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Great addon!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Owning this speech compressor for just a few weeks, but I'm really glad. Tested with some OM.. switching it on and off makes a difference of about 0.5 - 1 S value, by S-meter. For the ear, it was the difference between "can hear" and "can't hear". I now always use it...

The price is fairly reasonable and it's not complicated to build/solder. Download the manual in advance if you're not sure. Someone experienced in soldering shouldn't have any problems.

E71DX Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2019 21:22 Send this review to a friend
Essential accessory for FT-817/818  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using my FT-818 in SSB only for contacts via QO-100 with very low power (less than 1W). The small compressor increased my overall signal level significantly and I can only recommend the kit to anyone using one of these small transceivers.

The kit was assembled in a few minutes. You only need to solder the RJ45 jacks, 2 potentiometers and one switch.

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2018 16:26 Send this review to a friend
WOW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So I have had many many 817's and pretty much all but one needed more compression on SSB audio. They all sounded poorly when I had the SSB mic gain up all the way, but I ran it that way to be "somewhat" heard. So on a limb, I bought one of the compressors. I had to turn down the mic gain to 50 (what they suggest) and left the pots on the SOTA board where they were. I cannot believe how good this accessory is. Went from unreadabel to hearing me fine. What a great accessory! thanks for a great product! de KG9H

XE1TRY Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2017 19:41 Send this review to a friend
It actually works !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Assembly was ok. Documentation is good and complete. Quality is superb.

It works quite well on my FT817ND. I did several tests and my signal went from almost not readable to clearly readable.

It is nice that you can disable the compressor at anytime with a switch on the side.

One added feature that I liked a lot is the fact that pressing the down button while the PTT is depressed sends a tuning tone !!, quite useful to tune a manual tuner or linear amplifier.

IW5CI Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2016 08:06 Send this review to a friend
It works with FT-1000 Too  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this compressor with the ft-1000 MKV and MD-100 mic. Every one say that the punch is great (better than turning on a 500W amplifier) and the modulation is even better.

G3TSO Rating: 4/5 Dec 14, 2016 06:02 Send this review to a friend
Now Working Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Following a disappointing start with this product, the company supplied me with a replacement pcb! This was quickly assembled and tested. Once I had re-crimped the RJ45 cable, all worked very well with a marked increase in talk power.

Having had a RF processor inside the Mic housing on an earlier 817, I find this just as good and more flexible as it can easily be removed

G3TSO Rating: 1/5 Dec 8, 2016 14:29 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this kit from Funkamateur.de. It looked prety good on arrival and only took an hour to add the extra components to the board. It drew the correct current when powered up, but when connected to the 817 it did not allow any audio from the Mic to reach the Rig. A little investigation revealed that all many of the SM components were dry jointed to the pcb. Looks like I have a Friday afternoon version! Do I waste my time fixing it or send it back? Hopefully when it eventually works it will be better than the manufacturing.

AB1QX Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2014 03:36 Send this review to a friend
solid addition to FT-817  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Really make a quantum improvement on an FT-817's signal; easily an S-unit's worth. As another reviewer noted, the boost is better than the OBP, and, more to the point for me--not subject to RF pickup like the OBP was. Bravo!
Highly recommended.

WB1AAT Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2014 21:11 Send this review to a friend
Does the job nicely  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the 2.0 version of the DYC-8x7 model. Went together in 30 minutes or so. Only a handful of components to solder in. Awesome that all tiny SMD components were already mounted and soldered. Only one SMD capacitor to solder and it wasn't that bad to do. On the air with my FT817 is extremely noticeable. My external power meter indicates average power banging the top end of 5W where without it tends to bounce high and low with averages much lower. Listened in on another radio while talking and switching in and out was an obvious and dramatic improvement in "punch". Good audio reports on the air too. Wont turn a 5W radio into 100W but definitely makes the best of what you have. Ease of connection and built in tone generator are welcome bonuses. Its a shame the 817 didn't already have a processor as many QRP rigs like the KX3 do.