Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-8900R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-8900R
Yaesu FT-8900R Reviews: 184 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $469.95
Description: 10M, 6M, 2M & 440Mhz Quad Band Radio with Dual Band Receive.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/pdf/brochures/ft_8900r.pdf

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-8900R.

G1XXV Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2019 13:50 Send this review to a friend
works OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Do as I do read the instructions first. The first thing I noticed, for some odd reason the Antenna plug is different on the European Version to the American version. The European version requires a type N plug. While the American version needs a PL259. Since both antenna plugs look the same at a glance using the wrong plug could cause damage. It's really easy to set up, however I knocked a point of the rating score as mine had a rather tight spot on the antenna plug making it appear the antenna was fully plugged in. Unless it is fully home there is no reception. The VHF and UHF bands appear to be working fine. Not yet tried the 29 or 50 mhz bands so can't comment on those. Lack of a mobile antenna for those bands being the reason.

VE6OAK Rating: 4/5 Nov 28, 2018 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Definitely not "plug and play"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been a long time Yaesu customer,...But...this one feels like a trial run of something with great potential. Main issues:
- speaker is very poor and mic cord has a telephone type jack.
- volume control too sensitive, forever turning it up or down. Needs index mark applied.
- squelch control hidden behind volume, very hard to use. Worse when trying to drive.
- dual function upper knobs have “press momentarily” or “press 1/2second” functions!!!!
- programming channels is fine, but anything beyond (left/right sides, hyper memory, menu system) will frustrate to the point where you WILL buy software to clone. I assume this will go smoothly. Been using just left side for now.
- I will likely never use the 10 meter FM.

So, why a good rating? With external speaker, transmit/receive functions are very good. Range of frequencies is attractive and it likely will remain in the ‘shack’. Fan seems to come on at strange times but is relatively quiet. Great receive on aircraft traffic(AM) 90 miles away on just VHF antenna. A lot of radio in a very small package. Don’t know how they could have done it better.

NG2F Rating: 0/5 Sep 28, 2018 22:55 Send this review to a friend
Dud. Yaesu won't replace.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I hesitate to give out 0's anywhere, but Yaesu has left me with no choice. I bought an FT8900R more than two months ago. A week after purchasing it, I began getting reports that my audio was very low and my signal was in/out, even on repeaters very close to me.

I opened a ticket with Yaesu explaining the problem (at first I thought it was a relay.

Yaesu had my radio, which I had just purchased around a week before contacting them, and claimed that it was all up to specs. How I love intermittent problems. They called and said they could find nothing wrong with it, so I agreed to have it shipped back to me, assuming it was something I had done.

It arrived a week later and it still had the same problem. I called Yaesu and opened another ticket, and sent my FT-8900R back to them immediately.

A week or so later I get an email from Tim Factor telling me that the radio was up to Yaesu specs. I wasn't satisfied, as it was obviously an intermittent problem. It was still getting me crappy reports on UHF.

Finally, after around a week of hemming and hawing, Mr. Factor agreed to send me out a loaner to try it. Well, the loaner worked fine. My assumption? That they would send me a new radio, as I couldn't duplicate the problem.

Nope. They insist that there is no problem with the radio I paid good money for, which I had tried in my car, at friends' shacks, all power setting, full reset, still with the same problem.

I have been a Yaesu man for more than 25 years, preferring it to all other makes, and this - the first time I have a problem - is on the verge of losing me as a customer forever. Brand loyalty can only go so far.

My hope is that they'll let me keep the loaner that works perfectly and keep mine. Not a chance.

So, here I am with a Yaesu rig that doesn't work properly on UHF. I bought it because it was a quad-bander. I guess they feel I should just be happy with a tri-bander.

Parting is such sweet sorrow, Yaesu. I won't likely buy a Yaesu product again.

The last thing I'll say is that after more than two months without my radio, and no remedy offered by Yaesu, I've had an Intent to Sue letter drafted by my lawyer. I feel really sick over it, but I didn't pay for a radio that doesn't do what it says on the box.

KC9OEK Rating: 4/5 Jan 12, 2017 20:55 Send this review to a friend
nice enough quad band w/X-band repeat  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I only needed a dual-band radio (so, for me, the quad-band is a waste) with x-band repeat. The radio is easy to setup and use and quite compact. As many have noted, the knobs are small and do not inspire confidence since they wobble a lot. The transmit audio is very good - although the receive is pretty lousy with the small poor quality speaker. The speakers on my other Yaesu mobiles are MUCH better, so I don't understand what happened here. I have a lot of long QSO's and this radio stays cool (even if the fan is annoying). It does what I need it to do - but if I did not want xband repeat I would have selected a different radio; preferably something further up the Yaesu food chain.

W6CMR Rating: 4/5 Oct 10, 2016 17:18 Send this review to a friend
Great features  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I give this 4 out of 5 basically because it is my first radio. I like the scan feature and options for it. Being a retired firefighter I like to listen to the local fire channels as the day heats up. Once you spend a little time programming it, it is not that hard. It also works great with CHIRP. Base is connected to a Diamond x-200A with ABR LMR-400 spec coax for mobile I have the CR-8900 quad band antenna made for it (just in case something shows up on 10M FM.) lol Tx Audio seems to be good but the chassis speaker is hard to understand. I threw the manual on top of it and that helped a bunch. I also purchased a $12 speaker that is wonderful. I like it so much I purchased the 2nd 8900 to mount mobile. I really like the Hyper Memory keys for quick set up for X-banding, scanning etc. I understand every radio is not for everybody which is why I researched radios and features to find what I thought I would like and use. Plus the Yaesu quality!

WB2DWD Rating: 4/5 Jul 13, 2016 06:18 Send this review to a friend
Needs to be all mode  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As summarized, this rig can/should be all mode. I used an IC-7000 mobile but never ventured below 10M due to antenna inefficiencies. If Yaesu ever makes this rig all mode, I'd buy one in a second. Come on, Yaesu, make it so!

KC1FLG Rating: 4/5 May 14, 2016 04:46 Send this review to a friend
Still Learning  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I haven't had a lot of time yet to operate this rig. For a quad band rig it is decent...my only complaint is that it is purely FM and there is no SSB. Since I am a Technician Class I can't operate the 10M FM so I cannot review it in full. It is a bit sensitive in the control knobs. I will amend this review after I get a bit more time to play. So far I like what I have been able to use of it.

NZ4ZN Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2015 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Going to get another one.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the FT-8900r both mobile and as a base station for a little over two years.

I need another mobile radio and cannot find one I think I'd like better. Already having one sample of a certain model lends that model an advantage, since there is no learning curve. Even then, I'd buy it again on features and performance.

I use the cross band repeat function with the HT, but mainly use it to work local repeaters from home or from the truck while monitoring other bands/frequencies on the other half of the radio. I get good signal reports and am told modulation is good.

Yaesu could have fine tuned this a little though, and I see the following characteristics as shortcomings:

1) Audio gain (volume) control is touchy and far too sensitive. Even in the truck, I never get past about a quarter turn of travel and half way up is overdriven. Listening to it indoors, the volume is barely cracked. I'd like to put a resistor in series with the volume potentiometer.

2) IMO, the 10/6 meter functions should have had their own antenna connection. I use an antenna switch at the house to go from the 2m to the 6m antenna. I've never run the radio on 10m.

3) The memory locations are shared between halves of the radio, so it you wish to scan saved memory channels on one band with the left half and scan another band with the right half, they will just scan the same freqs.

G6IYD Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2015 05:02 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Only went out to buy a dual-band, but for a small extra cost, went for the FT-8900. Not regretted it. 6mtrs and 10mtrs may be a bit quiet, but nice to have these bands if I want to. It is a small transceiver, and the knobs and buttons may seem a bit fiddly to use. Not having small hands I thought it might be a problem, but in practice I have no problems using these. On both TX and RX I have been please with the results. Yaesu memory programming is not the easiest, but so simple using the correct lead (Ebay) and Chirp. All in all I find it a nice radio and would give it 5 out of 5.

KM6CQ Rating: 0/5 Sep 4, 2015 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Quit after warranty expired.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The radio was okay. Problem is it quit after the warranty expired, it was never abused, hardly used and without one blemish. Yaesu told me it would cost more to fix it then a new one would cost. They offered to ship it back at my cost plus tech time. I told them to throw it in the trash. It is where it now belongs. I now buy Icom mobiles.