Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TR-7950 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TR-7950
Kenwood TR-7950 Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Early to mid 1980's 45w 2M monobander with digital display, frequency entry keypad on the front panel, and 21 memory channels.
More info: http://www.n7uic.net/radio/kenwood/tr7950/tr7950.htm

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TR-7950.

N8GD Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2019 19:38 Send this review to a friend
A real workhorse!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 7950 after I got tired of my old Heathkit HW-2036A in the early to mid eighties. It worked great for about a year then started to develop intermittent transmit issues. I opened the radio and found the transmit circuit board looked like it was cold soldered. I resoldered every connection on that PCB and it has operated flawlessly ever since! About 3 years ago I resurrected it from storage and bought an after-market tone board replacement for the original Kenwood TU-79, a model TU-79px from www.piexx.com, which, unfortunately cost as much as the radio was worth at the time (about $75). I can now utilize modern PL enable repeaters with my trusty old TR-7950. I also replaced all the old, mostly burned out green grain-of-wheat panel lamps with bright blue LEDs - what a difference! I still use this rig as a 2M FM backup in the shack. With a spare 7950 parts radio at hand I can swap out parts (especially the unobtainium display chip) if the working rig has problems.

KM6WIZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2019 01:20 Send this review to a friend
1980's 2 meter radio that worked great for years  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was the first 2m mobile radio I purchased for $300+ when I was a tech in 1984. I used it mobile throughout California and in Germany when I was stationed there. It worked until 1992 when i accidentally dropped it on it's face. I then obtained a TM-2550 & TM-3530. They don't build them like this any more.

N4ZAW Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2017 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Qualifies as a "Classic"  Time owned: more than 12 months
A bit "dated", but they can't be beat for reliability given their vintage. I've owned several over the years, and currently have two working, mothballed TR-7950's.
They're built like little tanks!

W6PMR Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2015 22:05 Send this review to a friend
One of the best.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wonderful old radio. Very good performer but
you need to install an external PL. I put on
a Com-spec 32 and all is well.
I have it on my repair/test bench in the
garage and it's on all the time.
You can pick one of these for way under $100.
I picked mine up at a local Ham swap for $30.

K4YZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2014 19:51 Send this review to a friend
WAS A GREAT RADIO IN IT'S DAY  Time owned: more than 12 months

Had mine from 1984 to 1986. Was stolen in Florida. Loved that rig! Solid as a rock. Heard about the intermittent PA issue, but never manifested in mine. Also used for Civil Air Patrol and USAF MARS while in PA. Limited CTCSS access would be a serious impediment today, but if you're using it for a base rig for one or two local repeaters and simplex, would fit that bill nicely. I'd snatch one up for that role if I found one for the right price. 73 de K4YZ

K9MHZ Rating: 3/5 Nov 6, 2013 18:14 Send this review to a friend
It's OK.   Time owned: more than 12 months
OK radio. Very popular in the 80's, but very dated and low in capability for modern use. The problem that I had, which was a common headache back when they were in common use, was the grounding of the final amplifier board. The board mounting standoffs that were part of the heat sink casting were drilled and tapped to accept the mounting screws that held the final amplifier board in place. Trouble was, the holes weren't deep enough, which meant the board mounting screws bottomed out and didn't therefore hold the board in place tightly. This, combined with a poor grounding design in that area of the radio meant that you would literally lose your PA circuit ground if the screws came loose, which they did. The fix wasn't hard, so long as you devised a more secure grounding system in addition to securing the mounting screws. What a silly design flaw.

Performance was good when you fixed the PA bugs. The mounting bracket hardware was actually a pretty cool concept.

In summary, it's OK. Today, just make sure you have a very specific use for it, which also doesn't include CTCSS. If you find one cheaply priced at a hamfest, then knock yourself out. Short of that though, it's just severe mediocrity and you'll be far happier with a modern rig from one of the big three.

KK4NEF Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2013 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Transceiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This was my first 2 meter mobile transceiver ( other than handheld) and have loved it ever since I bought it. No complaints at all except for only being able to select three ctcss tones but it is an older radio. I gave it a 5 because it has served me well and never failed.

KC0SDV Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2011 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Great old workhorse  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Based on the 7930 I got last year and wrote a review...see below, I found a 7950 on ebay and got it for a great price. Everything works great and had some great reports on the audio. Power measures 5W and 45W just like it should. Will probably replace the memory battery just in case. Nothing fancy at all but great back up radio that will keep on ticking for a long time.

Cliff
kc0sdv

N4ASX Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2011 05:09 Send this review to a friend
One of the best HAM 2 meter radios  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased one about 1984. It was the 'standard' for two of the clubs I belonged to and they were right! I live in a high RF area and newer radios pick up intermod. the 7950 has a great filter system in the front end that all but eliminates this problem. The only draw back is that many of these radio do not have a PL deck, but this can be corrected by buying the PIXX aftermarket tone board that is plug and play. I have many VHF radios, but when I see one at a hamfest I scoop it up. I have three working and two parts radios.

K8CPA Rating: 4/5 May 23, 2009 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Good old Battle ship  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have it's younger brother the TR-7930, that I got as my first 2 meter rig from a local ham. Had the tone board in it. Works well. It's been through the mill. But she still works well.

Recommended for remote bases and such.

73 de K8CPA