Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors
Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Reviews: 482 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $769
Description: Yaesu HF/VHF/UHF Mobile Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors.

K1WJ Rating: 4/5 May 31, 2019 20:22 Send this review to a friend
4 stars  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Overall I do like this radio has a lot of form and function I do not like the supplied internal speaker also when turning up the volume the first quarter way I hear about nothing then it picks up. I am also concerned about potential display issues related to heat supposedly hoping not to have to deal with such issues. I love the size of the radio and the versatility of it it is great so far so good we'll see how she holds up over time. Already made DX contacts on 20 m running 45 Watts mobile looking forward to more contacts. menu structure is relatively easy to figure out and has a lot of good meaningful settings that are easy to navigate through once you get used to it not too bad at all. 73 David K1WJ

SAPPHIRE Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2019 07:36 Send this review to a friend
Good rtx  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good and resistant to swr. Excellent vehicle that can be used successfully even in the base station with some ideal settings, being designed for vehicular use has high sensitivity, in the base station excellent reception always activate ATT button. The DSP is very useful in CV little useful in SSB. There is also the possibility of using IF schift. With the original microphone set the ssb mic gain at 100% and Proc at 80% Some amateur radio do not know its possibilities, a miracle in a few centimeters!

AD0JA Rating: 1/5 Jan 8, 2019 16:53 Send this review to a friend
Poor RX, clunky menu system  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Sold this radio as I wasn't impressed with it. The menu system is a pain to navigate, it is horrible for Field Day because if you need to change a setting (even power level) you have to figure out how to get into the menu and then change the setting.

The RIT and IF shift is useless as you can never remember how to access that function much less keep it active so you can use it.

The RX is lacking as well. My TS-140S easily pulled out stations that were hard to hear on the 857d. The DSP on the 857d is no good either, it made listening WORSE instead of better. The internal speaker sounds absolutely awful, I could not stand the sound of it, an external speaker is a must.

I'm not impressed with the TX audio quality, on FM it over deviates, on SSB it sounds muffled and overdriven. If you turn the mic gain down, it sounds better, but then you're doing good to get 50w out on voice peaks.

It's a compromise in a box. If you must have an HF to UHF radio it's OK, but it is way better to buy a separate radio for each band. You won't regret it.

Very disappointing. Sold this and bought a TS-590S. What a world of difference!

W5JON Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2018 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FT857D has given me ten years of solid performance. I have used it as backup to my old FT1000MP and now my FTdx5000MP, and for portable and mobile operation. For the price, and size this 440mhz to 160 Meters "shack in a box" is tough to beat. Ten years and it just keeps ticking.

G8ADD Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2018 16:22 Send this review to a friend
A fine portable rig.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my FT857D for more than ten years and it has been very reliable. I have used it on mountains in summer heat and winter snow and ice, I have used it on the beach, in a tent, in a car, and in holiday accommodation. At present with my main rig out of action it is doubling as my main rig.

Let us be clear, as a main rig it is no more than passable, I would rate it at 3 or 4, but its rugged construction, diminutive size and plethora of features makes it unbeatable as a 100 watt portable rig. In fact it fits nicely into a "poachers pocket" inside my winter jacket, show me another 100 watt rig that will do that!

A recurrent complaint in these reviews is the "tiger-stripe" problem with the display. This problem has not shown up for me in ten years of steady use in sometimes unforgiving conditions. Furthermore I don't know of any other owner in this area that has had that problem. I suspect that it is hugely overstated and quite rare. If it now happens to me I will apologise, but after ten years the rig doesn't owe me anything!

Menus. There are moans about the menus. So what? Read the manual, practise with the book open, and master the rig like you would any other. It might look a bit complex on the page, but we are hams, we live with complexity! It soon becomes second nature.

In short, if your "get up and go" hasn't got up and gone, this is a dream, an unreplaceable rig for truly portable operation.

W4KVW Rating: 0/5 Dec 14, 2018 06:36 Send this review to a friend
TERRIBLE & Then Some  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
By far the worst Amateur Radio I have ever owned or used being the 857D.A local friend has the original 857 & it has the Tiger Stripe issue with the display so it's not worth much.You could not give me another one if I am required to keep & actually use it.the ICOM 7000 blows it away with performance on transmit & receive.Stay far far away from this nightmare of a radio & buy an ICOM 7000 & have a radio worthy of ownership.The ATAS-120A is another nightmare but you may read my review of it as well.

VK2LEE Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2018 02:12 Send this review to a friend
I just love this small all mode Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
XV2PS Well, it is a shame You won't be using the Yaesu FT857 transceiver. I found this little Radio just very easy to use and the menu is also easy, I just love this little Radio. I believe if You bought one of these You would , You would also love it... these little Radios are just unreal, and with 2 meters SSB & 70 centimeters too... I think You would think twice about this great little Radio...

XV2PS Rating: 1/5 Dec 12, 2018 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Great little rig if the LCD keeps readable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nice little does it all unit. Really. Only problem (that seems common based on reviews here) is the LCD screen turning unreadable after some years. I see the radio retails for $770 usd, and the replacement front panel costs me... over $450.
Bye bye Yaesu. Next rig will be back to Icom.

W3KKO Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2017 06:29 Send this review to a friend
First HF rig and worth it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Upon receiving my "ticket" in 2016 at 53yo, I looked around for my first HF rig. Dad had Yaesu's and Kenwoods so those were my frame of reference. I chose a used 857 as it's all band all-mode, and could be base, mobile and portable. Its a 2003 but came with DSP card, SSB and CW filters, and no zebra stripes....for $625. All I can say is its been a solid performer, and has helped me learn phone and digital modes easier than I thought. Yes the display is small, the menu is deep, DSP is decent, it has a few quirks and older tech, and its not an Elecraft. But as others have said, it tolerates mistakes, is VERY versatile (esp VHF/UHF SSB) and has made learning the hobby fun at a more affordable price point. Keep the display settings low to reduce temps and preserve the display! The '03 857 is now in the car (MD to Israel on 20m @ 90W and a ham stick!!), and a new 857D is in the shack joining an '05 FT840 and '81 FT101ZD MKIII. Get one, join the Yahoo group and Fox Tango Intl for ongoing info and support, and go out and have fun!!

VK2LEE Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2017 02:24 Send this review to a friend
I just love this small all mode Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have found the menu and operating instructions excellent as I have found that many menus and operating instructions can be difficult or written incorrectly which makes learning even more difficult... but I have found the instruction manual on this Radio written in plain easy to read and understand English ... it Really works for this 70 year old brain!!! I think I have found one small problem - QRM seems to be worse on this Radio when compared to My FTDX-3000. I know there is a HUGE price difference, so maybe that is one of the trade offs?? I will have to compare QRM next time there is a local Contest on. But overall, I still love and recommend this little Transceiver.. I'm sure you will too. VK2LEE Lee