Reviews Categories | Ham Logging Software | DXLab by AA6YQ Help

Reviews Summary for DXLab by AA6YQ
DXLab by AA6YQ Reviews: 160 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $Free
Description: Integrated suite of programs for logging and station management
More info: http://www.dxlabsuite.com

You can write your own review of the DXLab by AA6YQ.

K6MKF Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2018 21:27 Send this review to a friend
DXLab - The DXer's Swiss Army Knife!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
About a week ago I decided that I would give DXLab a thorough evaluation. Dave, AA6YQ, the author of DXLab has extensive documentation online and available for downloading as PDF files. I like the ability to search PDFs so that was my first choice. There is also an active and helpful DXLab group at groups.io. I found a lot of answers to my questions by searching the message at that group. Dave, AA6YQ, provides outstanding support directly to that email group.

I've implemented Commander for rig control of my Elecraft K3. I had a lot of learning to do with Spot Collector as it is not just a telnet connection to a DX Cluster but an accumulation database of DX spots. There's even a SQL facility to allow complex queries into the Spot Collector database. I also commissioned WinWarbler and ported most of my favorite band/mode macros over to it, and it works FB.

DXKeeper, the DXLab logging program, made my whole week. In the past, my attempts to keep my log, LotW, my DXCC account and Club Log coordinated and correct felt like a full-time job. DXKeeper provides powerful tools to help you reconcile your log file with your data in LotW and your DXCC account. After a few hours work, I am pleased to say that my log reports no discrepancies when compared to my LotW and DXCC data. Honestly, I never expected to see the day that would happen!

I've got more pieces of DXLab to commission here. For me there is a lot to learn, and I'm making good progress so far and I am impressed.

I've been DXing seriously for about 10 years now, and DXlab is the most powerful set of DXing tools I've ever seen in one package. It really is the DXer's Swiss Army Knife!

WD4ELG Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2018 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Superb!  Time owned: more than 12 months
DXLab consists of numerous discrete applications: a PSK31 module, a rig control module, a logging module, a spot module a map module, a log tracking module.

I have been using the software from Dave/AA6YQ for more than a decade. This guy is simply amazing, what he has done with this package and the improvements he has made.

Tonight, I set up the large spectrum view/spotter combo for my 7300. INCREDIBLE! Dave has been highly responsive and supportive. He develops software for his day job, so he knows how to do this right.

Just give it a try if you haven't already.

Best part - IT IS FREE! There is a dedicated group for support if needed, and Dave has written a very extensive and easy-to-comprehend user guide.

Well done, Dave.

K4PI Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2018 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Logging Program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using DX Lab for a month or more and it far surpasses anything I have used in the past. I had another logging program I paid a fair amount of money for but it was never keeping up with the times. DX Lab is constantly being upgraded and they have a great reflector. This is a complex logging program so don't expect to install it and be on your merry way. To get the most out of this program you will need to do some studying. You could probably use it in its most basic mode but you would be loosing so much of the benefit it can offer. It works well with JT Alert if you do FT8 and it would be hard for me to do FT8 with out it. Auto DX Lab update and auto upload to LOTW when using WSJT-X and JT Alert. And you get all this for FREE. Don't knock it until you have spent sometime using it and learning how it works.

OD5YA Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2018 21:37 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer. Savvy developer  Time owned: more than 12 months
All components of dxlab suite are solidly designed to withstand all kind of manipulation from user without breaking up. But what really distinguishes dxlab is the fast response of its creator, dave.i have NEVER posted a question to him without receiving THE answer in record time. Even when it is midnight in the us, i still get his answer. Lately dave developed a waterfall spectrum disply for the sdr icoms. I had a tech problem while intalling it on my pc.Dave,not only solved the problem, but also followed up with me with new custom made releases of the app. Guys, look for the human team behind the app and not anything else. Dxlab is an efficient human supported svelt app. Not a dx suite only.

W0CP Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2017 14:52 Send this review to a friend
The One that Grows With You  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't say enough good about this fantastic suite of programs. Some of the amazing features I use regularly are lotw and club log integration, special callsign notifications, email DX alerts, SQL filtering of spots, propagation predictions and on and on. There is so much here, it can be intimidating. Just start with one, like logging or spotting and build out from there as you get comfortable. Give it time, it will grow on you and with you.

NJ5N Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2016 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Solid   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the DXLab suite for several years now and I am very satisfied with the performance as well as the support. In all the years I have used the software it has performed extremely well. Logging programs are like many things in that different ones will suite different people depending on their operating style and preferences. DXLab works great for me and is solid without lockups. If you should find it lacks a feature you want and there is enough demand Dave will review and try to accommodate.

WA8Y Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Best of it's kind  Time owned: more than 12 months
To follow up on my previous review, I explain how to find AB1OC's review of Dave's (AA6YQ's) excellent Suite of Apps.
Go to DXLabSuite.com.
There, below the map, are 11 tabs, the 10th tab is labeled Documentation. Click Documentation and near the lower left corner of that page is a link titled "Articles and Presentations". Click it.
At the top of that page is a link to AB1OC's Slide Show titled:
"An Introduction to DXLab Suite by Fred AB1OC.
Sincerely, Steven WA8Y

N9LJX Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Best I have seen  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a user of DXLab Suite for many years. I started computer logging back in the early 1990s and have been following the progression ever since. Each software has its strengths and weaknesses and each user must evaluate those based on their individual needs. There are many good logging programs, but none that fits my needs as well as DXLab Suites.

The interface is clean, simple, and highly customizable. Yes, it lacks the eye candy that other products may give you, but to me that is a perk. I can show as much or as little as I want in the main log page display. And when using the 'Capture' window along with DXView, which shows me the award status for the station, I don't need to have the log page in view.

The Launcher app allows for a simplified way to start/stop multiple applications, configure the applications based on different needs by use of 'Work Spaces', and allows for a centralized tool to check for application updates.

I truly appreciate the multiple, integrated, modular application design. I don't always need to have the propagation prediction tool running, or the Digital application, or even the call lookup. I can save screen space by either shutting them down or minimizing their windows. And by having SpotCollector as a separate module I can easily have it running watching for needed stations on different bands/modes while running a contest as a SO entry. So when P52NK comes up on 30m during CQWW I will be able to be notified while not getting spots for contest bands.

The Reports are saved in either HTML or text files. Again, to me this is a feature as I am able to easily integrate my needs/standings to other applications such as web pages. But the Realtime Award Tracking will show you, in the application, your status for many major awards.

There is an option that allows 'running' stations (config/General/Run-Mode) where you just enter a valid call and it logs it and sets you ready for next call. even if not connected to a rig you can set the mode/freq defaults for the current session. While that option may seem 'buried' it is well documented and I was able to track it down without ever even knowing about in a few minutes.

As others have said, the application is very mature and contains many features that many users will never use. AA6YQ does an excellent job, however, of trying to maintain a balance between perceived complexity and ease of use when implementing new feature/functionality.

For me it is Bravo to AA6YQ for a superb product, top notch support, and for being just an all around good guy. While seemingly constantly addressing user questions or upgrading the applications he can still be found on the bands working DX.

SM7IUN Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Best software suite around, and free  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having returned to ham radio after over two decades of QRT I had the luxuy of a "fresh start" so I could shop around for the best PC software unrestricted by legacy data or habit.

After trying all the free I could find and a few paid ones I found DXLab to best suit my needs.

Although it works "straight out of the box" its rich featurs set makes for a slight learning curve compared to a "simple logger" where you just enter data and click.

The UI graphics may not look like the latest Android release but its purposeful and the underlying software is world class.
It is a complete ham radio desktop solution and works well for both casual traffic, dxing and contest.
I love how the dx spotter, viewer, logger and keyer/digimode engine are integrated.
The keyer supports contesting with macros and I recently had a great experience doing several hundred QSO in the YO DX contest.
It's modular design lets you to organize your desktop space based on situational needs.
The keyer/digimode module supports all the major modes (SSB, CW, PSK, RTTY) natively but also interfaces to other engines if you prefer.
I have successfully integrated it with GRITTY, Fldigi and WSJT-X. A particularly valuable feature for us europeans is that WinKey driver supports international morse code characters, a feature shared with few softwares.

The author is AA6YQ, one of the brains behind LOTW and several other major software innovations.
The software is supported through an email reflector where the author himself participates on a daily basis which is great.

AB3CV Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 04:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent software!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used DXLabs Suite for the past 5 years and have enjoyed it greatly. I both chase DX and contest. For contesting I use N1MM for which it is purpose built. It is quick and easy to transfer those contacts via ADI to my DXKeeper log after the contest is over for upload to LOTW which is my normal practice.

DXKeeper Capture allows for quick entry of contacts and if setup with your callbook (QRZ for me) fills in all of the needed information for capturing a QSO. If a spot is clicked on in SpotCollector all is filled in for you with no additional work.

The "flashing lights" mentioned is just information missing when the QSO was logged. AA6YQ's help files are extremely well managed and up to date with each modification made to the software. His attention to keeping the known bug list at zero is legendary as is his online customer support.

I like the multiple windows as it lets me keep only the pieces I want to see occupying screen space and arranged as I want them. Further most of the windows are user configurable to show only those things important to me.

I didn't jump deeply into all of the modules when I started but did add them fairly quickly as I discovered their utility from reading the help files and the Yahoo group conversations.

Thanks largely to DXlabs in those 5 years I'm now at 314 countries confirmed, 2300 Challenge worked and DXCC on 160 thru 10m with a total of 35792 QSOs. DXLabs made that possible due to excellent Spot collection and alerting (I have it text me), logging, QSL management and support.

Highly recommended!