Reviews Categories | Ham Logging Software | DXLab by AA6YQ Help

Reviews Summary for DXLab by AA6YQ
DXLab by AA6YQ Reviews: 162 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $Free
Description: Integrated suite of programs for logging and station management
More info: http://www.dxlabsuite.com

You can write your own review of the DXLab by AA6YQ.

W6LAX Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2019 03:31 Send this review to a friend
It's the best - and I've tried many  Time owned: more than 12 months
You can use as many or as few of the modules as you need. I've found that each module integrates flawlessly with all the others as well as with my radios and SteppIR. There is a bit of a learning curve, so I suggest that you don't overwhelm yourself by throwing all the modules onto your monitor at once.

W1SMC Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2019 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Sweet Software Suite  Time owned: more than 12 months
After my initial use of the DXLab Software Suite I decided after 3 months or so to give HRD a try and see which product I enjoyed using more. After a year of HRD and all it's quirks and repeat multiple minor issues I decided to go back to the DXLab suite.

I've been a software professional for over 40+ years, and have written more code than God ever intended for any human to write, so I think I have a decent handle on what good software is and is not. For what I paid for in HRD I was not impressed with all the repeat minor glitches as apposed to DXLab's free system that, to me, is much easier to use and has very powerful features that .... work .....

I run a Ten-Tec Orion 2 and Eagle and the DXLab software has no issues talking with the rigs at all.

The SpotCollector is awesome and has very powerful query features that make DXing very easy and simple.

A big thanks to David Bernstein for a great job. Please keep up the good work.

K6MKF Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2018 21:27 Send this review to a friend
DXLab - The DXer's Swiss Army Knife!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
About a week ago I decided that I would give DXLab a thorough evaluation. Dave, AA6YQ, the author of DXLab has extensive documentation online and available for downloading as PDF files. I like the ability to search PDFs so that was my first choice. There is also an active and helpful DXLab group at groups.io. I found a lot of answers to my questions by searching the message at that group. Dave, AA6YQ, provides outstanding support directly to that email group.

I've implemented Commander for rig control of my Elecraft K3. I had a lot of learning to do with Spot Collector as it is not just a telnet connection to a DX Cluster but an accumulation database of DX spots. There's even a SQL facility to allow complex queries into the Spot Collector database. I also commissioned WinWarbler and ported most of my favorite band/mode macros over to it, and it works FB.

DXKeeper, the DXLab logging program, made my whole week. In the past, my attempts to keep my log, LotW, my DXCC account and Club Log coordinated and correct felt like a full-time job. DXKeeper provides powerful tools to help you reconcile your log file with your data in LotW and your DXCC account. After a few hours work, I am pleased to say that my log reports no discrepancies when compared to my LotW and DXCC data. Honestly, I never expected to see the day that would happen!

I've got more pieces of DXLab to commission here. For me there is a lot to learn, and I'm making good progress so far and I am impressed.

I've been DXing seriously for about 10 years now, and DXlab is the most powerful set of DXing tools I've ever seen in one package. It really is the DXer's Swiss Army Knife!

WD4ELG Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2018 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Superb!  Time owned: more than 12 months
DXLab consists of numerous discrete applications: a PSK31 module, a rig control module, a logging module, a spot module a map module, a log tracking module.

I have been using the software from Dave/AA6YQ for more than a decade. This guy is simply amazing, what he has done with this package and the improvements he has made.

Tonight, I set up the large spectrum view/spotter combo for my 7300. INCREDIBLE! Dave has been highly responsive and supportive. He develops software for his day job, so he knows how to do this right.

Just give it a try if you haven't already.

Best part - IT IS FREE! There is a dedicated group for support if needed, and Dave has written a very extensive and easy-to-comprehend user guide.

Well done, Dave.

K4PI Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2018 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Logging Program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using DX Lab for a month or more and it far surpasses anything I have used in the past. I had another logging program I paid a fair amount of money for but it was never keeping up with the times. DX Lab is constantly being upgraded and they have a great reflector. This is a complex logging program so don't expect to install it and be on your merry way. To get the most out of this program you will need to do some studying. You could probably use it in its most basic mode but you would be loosing so much of the benefit it can offer. It works well with JT Alert if you do FT8 and it would be hard for me to do FT8 with out it. Auto DX Lab update and auto upload to LOTW when using WSJT-X and JT Alert. And you get all this for FREE. Don't knock it until you have spent sometime using it and learning how it works.

OD5YA Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2018 21:37 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer. Savvy developer  Time owned: more than 12 months
All components of dxlab suite are solidly designed to withstand all kind of manipulation from user without breaking up. But what really distinguishes dxlab is the fast response of its creator, dave.i have NEVER posted a question to him without receiving THE answer in record time. Even when it is midnight in the us, i still get his answer. Lately dave developed a waterfall spectrum disply for the sdr icoms. I had a tech problem while intalling it on my pc.Dave,not only solved the problem, but also followed up with me with new custom made releases of the app. Guys, look for the human team behind the app and not anything else. Dxlab is an efficient human supported svelt app. Not a dx suite only.

W0CP Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2017 14:52 Send this review to a friend
The One that Grows With You  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't say enough good about this fantastic suite of programs. Some of the amazing features I use regularly are lotw and club log integration, special callsign notifications, email DX alerts, SQL filtering of spots, propagation predictions and on and on. There is so much here, it can be intimidating. Just start with one, like logging or spotting and build out from there as you get comfortable. Give it time, it will grow on you and with you.

NJ5N Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2016 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Solid   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the DXLab suite for several years now and I am very satisfied with the performance as well as the support. In all the years I have used the software it has performed extremely well. Logging programs are like many things in that different ones will suite different people depending on their operating style and preferences. DXLab works great for me and is solid without lockups. If you should find it lacks a feature you want and there is enough demand Dave will review and try to accommodate.

WA8Y Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Best of it's kind  Time owned: more than 12 months
To follow up on my previous review, I explain how to find AB1OC's review of Dave's (AA6YQ's) excellent Suite of Apps.
Go to DXLabSuite.com.
There, below the map, are 11 tabs, the 10th tab is labeled Documentation. Click Documentation and near the lower left corner of that page is a link titled "Articles and Presentations". Click it.
At the top of that page is a link to AB1OC's Slide Show titled:
"An Introduction to DXLab Suite by Fred AB1OC.
Sincerely, Steven WA8Y

N9LJX Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Best I have seen  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a user of DXLab Suite for many years. I started computer logging back in the early 1990s and have been following the progression ever since. Each software has its strengths and weaknesses and each user must evaluate those based on their individual needs. There are many good logging programs, but none that fits my needs as well as DXLab Suites.

The interface is clean, simple, and highly customizable. Yes, it lacks the eye candy that other products may give you, but to me that is a perk. I can show as much or as little as I want in the main log page display. And when using the 'Capture' window along with DXView, which shows me the award status for the station, I don't need to have the log page in view.

The Launcher app allows for a simplified way to start/stop multiple applications, configure the applications based on different needs by use of 'Work Spaces', and allows for a centralized tool to check for application updates.

I truly appreciate the multiple, integrated, modular application design. I don't always need to have the propagation prediction tool running, or the Digital application, or even the call lookup. I can save screen space by either shutting them down or minimizing their windows. And by having SpotCollector as a separate module I can easily have it running watching for needed stations on different bands/modes while running a contest as a SO entry. So when P52NK comes up on 30m during CQWW I will be able to be notified while not getting spots for contest bands.

The Reports are saved in either HTML or text files. Again, to me this is a feature as I am able to easily integrate my needs/standings to other applications such as web pages. But the Realtime Award Tracking will show you, in the application, your status for many major awards.

There is an option that allows 'running' stations (config/General/Run-Mode) where you just enter a valid call and it logs it and sets you ready for next call. even if not connected to a rig you can set the mode/freq defaults for the current session. While that option may seem 'buried' it is well documented and I was able to track it down without ever even knowing about in a few minutes.

As others have said, the application is very mature and contains many features that many users will never use. AA6YQ does an excellent job, however, of trying to maintain a balance between perceived complexity and ease of use when implementing new feature/functionality.

For me it is Bravo to AA6YQ for a superb product, top notch support, and for being just an all around good guy. While seemingly constantly addressing user questions or upgrading the applications he can still be found on the bands working DX.