Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ten Tec Model 417 Titan III HF Amplifier Help

Reviews Summary for Ten Tec Model 417 Titan III HF Amplifier
Ten Tec Model 417 Titan III HF Amplifier Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $4295 (US) + shipping
Description: 1.5 Kw HF amplifier using a pair of 4CX800A ceramic tetrodes in grid- driven configuration for 160 - 10 meters.
More info: http://radio.tentec.com/Amateur/Amplifiers/TT417

You can write your own review of the Ten Tec Model 417 Titan III HF Amplifier.

N8MUS Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2019 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Big amp= Big Power  Time owned: more than 12 months
N5UL was original owner circa Late 2008 production. I am 2nd owner and super happy to have this excellent example in my shack.

I notice in pictures that there were two versions of the 417 Titan III. The bandswitch being different on the later models. Mine is the later version the earlier looks like a Titan II but in Black. This amp is self contained so the transformer inside makes it big and HEAVY. Prior owner decided to sell it as he could no longer move it due to age etc. It does take up a major part of a desk top as well.

Pros
Makes power easy with low drive levels, is very easy to tune and the settings are repeatable. So band changes are a cinch.

I have an Orion and Orion 2 and they interface with the amp perfectly but have also used some Flex radios with it as well. Easy to operate legal limit amp.

QSK is sweet, relay noise is not bad but noticeable. An installation with amp not on top of you would be better than my set up.

Cons
Fan noise: I have the amp at my right hand on the desk so very close to me and the noise does not hinder operation but is there. Moving the amp a little farther away would be better.

Size and Weight.

I prefer to dial in a bit of hang on the Orion which keeps the amp keyed and really cuts down on the relay noise. Semi QSK unless working a pile up.

I have had it for over a year with zero issues thus far. It is a big difference maker on 160m where I am only running a 43ft vertical.

It replaced a mint SB-220 and IF the SB-220 would have had 160m and WARC bands I would have stayed with it. But it did not. Size and Weight much more manageable VS the Titan III.

Overall it is a keeper and would purchase again.

W5DDW Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2010 10:24 Send this review to a friend
An Awesome Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my 5th year of operation with the 417 and I couldn't ask for more. Still on the original tubes, the amp pegs the output meter at 1500 watts on as little as 45 watts drive. The amp is physically big, requires ample desk space and a clear area for tube vents, as would be expected from such a robust desktop amp. Blower noise is average for amps this size and tubes are still plentiful and reasonably priced (if we can just get the hoarders of eBay). I resisted buying "back-up" tubes as the two Russian GU-78Bs (designed for military applications) could last the life of the amp with proper care. QSK CW is without peers, is seamless and flawless in operation, and can break the most congested European CW pileup or run hours of contesting at full output. The amp is expensive, but panicked owners (fearing tube shortages) have sold their 417s at firesale prices. If you find one and would like to step up to a premium amplifier, which will give years of serious service, buy it. Ten-Tec Service is the industry standard and will help you keep the amp on the air. Of the big, legal limit premium amps, the Titan III is a worthy contender.

KD7HVL Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2010 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Very Very nice Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I took this amp in on a trade for some military gear. What I recieved, yes it did work, but had some serious problems. A few hundred dollars latter in parts from Ten Tec I have everything running smooth and right. What an amp, easily does legal limit with 55 watts drive on all bands, tubes are pretty reasonable considering what they are. I can retube for $350.00 Tube availability is something one has to take a hard look at these day and the supply of GU74Bs is still pretty good. Controls are smooth and predictable, I have found as long as the load is within specs I can just about use the data in the manual for final tune. I have had a bunch of amps but this one is at the top of the pile and that includes some Alphas. Very nice amp and a pleasure to use. should you be fortunate enough to get your hands on one, take the chance and get it, you to will also be pleased and happy.

WY3X Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2009 16:45 Send this review to a friend
A tank!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hopefully, this will be my last HF amp. I've been through several- Brad Thompson Industries BTI-2000, Amp Supply LK-8877, Henry 2KD-5, Ten Tec Centurion, Collins 30L-1, Skywalker 500 (solid state), and a Yaesu FLDX-2000. This one tunes easy, no arcing, and the controls are velvety smooth! Metering is adequate for all purposes. I wish it wasn't quite so deep- it does require a lot of desk space. Even an inch would have helped. All my other amps were used, this one I bought brand new straight from Ten Tec. It's a pleasure to operate. What more can be said?

W7WZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2009 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Best Ever TT HF amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great value in a used HF amplifier. Quietest, least vibration, smoothest tune up, big bright meters, least TVI, solid construction, ample power to reach the antenna with long feed line runs. Service & support still available from TT.

I have owned the Titan II, Titan 425, Centruion, Centaur, Kenwood TL-922A, Henry 2k, 3KA and 3KD. The TT Titan III model 417 is far superior. It will be a classic and the tubes are readily available on Ebay.

W3WW Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2007 19:36 Send this review to a friend
The Best of them All  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After the proverbial "been around the block" scenario, I settled on the Titan III. Couldn't be happier. Need I say more?

Try one, you will never look back.

W4SK Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2006 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Wow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Traded my Centurion (3-500Z)amp for this Titan III. It is large, and mechanically very strong. The blower noise is louder than the Centurion, but by no means objectionable. Superior metering, and easy to tune. Clearly the last amp I will ever have to purchase.

W4BQF Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2006 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Work Horse!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update from 2004.
Just a real work horse. Handles 48 hour contest smoothly. Lot of hours on this amp and zero problems at this time. Silky smooth QSK with my IC-781 and Omni 6 Plus.
Another Ten Tec winner!

Tom - W4BQF

K3RX Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2005 22:51 Send this review to a friend
BULLET-PROOF !!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a BIG AMP!!!!..The box is HUGE, I've found the controls smooth as silk,EASILY repeatable,and the fit and finish first rate!!! The blower is louder than my old AL-80B,but thats to be expected.I do NOT find the blower noise objectionable...it has become nothing more than "white noise" to me.
I've made the usual mistakes with this amp,wrong band position,etc. and have NEVER had a problem...it simply trips,or,(in the case of wrong band position) does nothing!..the band switch is SUPER STOUT..overall,a SOLID,WELL-BUILT AMP. I would buy another without a second-thought...'73 Tom K3RX

KY6R Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2005 15:36 Send this review to a friend
Quality and Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a large, but very high quality amplifier. It works very well with my Orion, and the QSK is superb. The two pieces of gear are by far the best I've ever owned and operated in 32 years of "hamming".