Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet SBB-2/SBB-2NMO Help

Reviews Summary for Comet SBB-2/SBB-2NMO
Comet SBB-2/SBB-2NMO Reviews: 31 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: 20" long 2m/70cm dual band mobile antenna. 1/4 wave, 2.15 dB gain on 2m, 5/8 wave, 3.8 dB gain on 70cm. VSWR 1.5:1 or less. Maximum power 100W.
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com

You can write your own review of the Comet SBB-2/SBB-2NMO.

N4KVE Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2018 17:51 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ANTENNA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked up a used one at a local ham fest. I needed a short UHF antenna to use a few times a year. I took a camera tripod, & made a mounting bracket with a NMO mount to use the antenna in the hotel when I travel. The antenna looks like it was on a car for 10 years, but I cleaned off all the dead bugs. Checked SWR with a Bird watt meter, & from 447-467, it was 1.1. Slightly lower on the high end. Didn't check VHF, as I don't need it for that.Best $10 I ever spent.

K5GHA Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2018 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Performs Better Than Expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this antenna at Ham-Com 2018 just a few days ago and at first I wanted to give it a three star rating for being difficult to tune. However, after going to a less than ideal location to test it out on a few nets, I'm bumping up my rating to four stars because I actually got a few great compliments on my audio. (I never even told anyone about my different antenna!)

K6ITR Rating: 4/5 May 31, 2018 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Works well, kinda pricey for what you get...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Right out of the "box", SWR is way under 1.5 on both bands. I have it mounted on a Comet RS720 lip mount on the back of my Sienna. I have the UHF mount, not the NMO. It's supposedly "ground independent", which makes sense on 70cm, where it's a half wave, but not on 2 meters, where it's a quarter wave. No worries, it matches great. I have a number of friends running the same setup with good results as well. $43 is a little steep, but as they say, HAM stands for "Had Alotta Money". I've played with all manner of mag mounts, silly motorized mounts, and roof rack mounts,and this antenna/mount combination is by far the cleanest, best-performing install I've used.

KE4WMF Rating: 2/5 Apr 28, 2016 04:14 Send this review to a friend
Connector Not Quite Right  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently had an SBB-5 stolen while parked at a shopping center. I decided to try something lower-profile and chose the SBB-2. I mounted it and torqued it down securely. Totally deaf. Antenna analyzer showed SWR of 6:1. I accidentally saw improvement when I was removing the antenna. Apparently, I works if it's not tightened down. I don't want a loose antenna, so I opted to try another SBB-2. Same deal... works as expected if the antenna is not tightened, but totally deaf if any amount of snugness is applied while tightening. Not acceptable. I don't think it's my NMO connector because my SBB-5, SBB-7, and even a cheap Nagoya antenna all work fine when torqued-down. I will get another SBB-5 or a Lawsen 2/70B.

KA4KOE Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2016 21:23 Send this review to a friend
Works and is Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
My antenna worked so good I gave it to my bro KK4TVR. Still giving him good service. I kinda wish I still have it as I upgraded to an SBB-5NMO, which tends to hit stuff as its on top of my pick-em-up truck roof.

N0FPE Rating: 1/5 Feb 6, 2016 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Poor at best  Time owned: months
Had one of these a few years ago..found it to be poor at best. SWR was way too high and the thing made my radio deaf!!! Tried everything but it just was no good. replaced it with a regular size SSB-5 and everything has been roses since. Dont waste your money on this thing...

NS6W Rating: 1/5 Feb 6, 2016 11:55 Send this review to a friend
Returned back to HRO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To echo N7AQQ's review, the base collar is too short to properly engage the standard NMO connector, leaving approx. 3mm of exposed space between the antenna's collar and the roof. Replaced it with Larsen NMO2/70SH for a perfect fit.

KG5FQT Rating: 4/5 Jul 5, 2015 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Quite Satisfied   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I wonder what some guys are trying to compare this 18" antenna to? I am more then satisfied with this purchase. It is used daily. I have it on a NMO 4" magnet mount on top of a Chevy Tahoe for work connected to a Kenwood TM-D710G. I have no problem hitting any repeaters within a 30-40 mile radius. Full quieting reports. I can hit APRS repeaters on mid-high power at same mileage. I also can hit ISS for APRS when it passes overhead. It has no problem hitting a Baofeng HT, both on low power from about 5 miles out. Since I dont have a VHF rig inside the house, I also use this setup for crossband repeater to be able to hit my club repeater which is about 25-30 miles out while sitting inside my house with the HT and have no issues. I have never measured my actual SWR's, but with my results I am getting, why bother? When I use it with my HT, even at 5 watts, I can easily hit repeaters at 20-30 miles out. I didnt expect these results when I purchased this antenna, but I am quite pleased with the results. If I had to knock off a point for anything it would be that after 5 months, I've had some paint flake off the coil after hitting some leaves one time, didnt even hit the branch. May just have to put some spray paint over it.

N7AQQ Rating: 3/5 Feb 15, 2015 22:21 Send this review to a friend
Ok, with qualifications  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use short VHF and/or UHF antennas on all my vehicles for aesthetic and clearance reasons. I had this antenna on the family minivan for several months, and it seemed to perform as expected for a short antenna. My main complaint is the too short NMO base collar that doesn't engage the mount threads very far and leaves a wide gap between the collar and the roof surface. I was using a purchased o-ring to fill the gap, but I have now changed to a Larsen dual band with a proper base.

W7LDN Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2015 17:42 Send this review to a friend
very good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I guess if the same person is allowed to post two negative reviews in a row, I should give my opinion. I think this is a great antenna. I've used the NMO version for years. It's no half-wave, but then no reasonable person would expect it to perform like one.