Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | GAP Titan Help

Reviews Summary for GAP Titan
GAP Titan Reviews: 205 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $titandx
Description: Covers 10m 12m 15m 17m 20m 30m 40m and 100 KHz on 80m, & WARC
More info: http://www.gapantenna.com

You can write your own review of the GAP Titan.

WS7X Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2019 01:07 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the gap now just a few weeks but so far I like it. It was relatively easy to assemble and install and it tunes up nicely on all the bands. The last multiband vertical I had lasted many years so I hope the Gap will also last a long time. I do have it guyed well and I'm making contacts on 20 and 40 meters. Have yet to use it on some of the other bands since propagation has been terrible. I will update this review after I've had it a bit longer but so far so good.

NY2KW Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2019 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Pleasantly Surprised - Works Great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the GAP Titan reluctantly despite a lot of negative press on the web. It sounded like the worst vertical performer for the footprint. I lost my 80’ dipoles to a lightning strike Dec 2018 and could not replace them before winter set in but I could dig a hole and set up a vertical without radials very quickly. Being on a hilltop, in Westchester County, NY, I wanted to limit direct lightning hits so I placed the GAP UNDER the canopy of a large cluster of 80-100’ high Black Locust trees with the lowest branches still higher than the GAP. The Titan is about 100’ from the shack with GAP base and coax shield grounded to several 8’ rods (these were already in place from my dipoles & all rods bonded to service entry panel). My hilltop is in a wind tunnel so I double - guyed the GAP on top and mid sections. We had several 60+ mph gust storms this winter and the GAP never budged. The 40m radial arms have sagged a bit but not affecting performance. I plan to to raise these up with nylon rope and stainless clamps this Spring. After installation, the VSWR for each of the bands were pretty much what GAP stated but I use a remote mounted antenna tuner (also left over from my dipole days) to keep SWR below 1.5. The tuner is positioned about halfway between shack and GAP… I know not ideal but I needed to get everything setup in freezing weather in Dec 2018. I can usually work whoever I can hear though I need to QRO. Works very good on 40m-15m in SSB or digital. I routinely have been running WSJT-X each late afternoon or evening and to work DX reliably I must run 500-600w BUT I make contacts. Over the winter I have already made >100 DXCC contacts with FT8 across 20m,30m,40m and 80m. I routinely work all states including KH and KL plus all European and Western Asian entities. VK and ZL on 14.074MHZ around dusk and ZS almost anytime have become routine. Recently, band conditions must be better because I have frequently heard China and Japan on 20m & 40m and have had digital QSOs. Compared to my dipoles, the sensitivity is different but I cannot make direct comparisons. My reports on SSB have been less impressive than the dipole but I make the contacts even in pile-ups. The GAP is more sensitive to nearby QRM.. I live adjacent to a 50 acre farm with an electric deer fence and I never noticed the 1 sec clicks with my dipoles but they are very apparent with the GAP. Fortunately, the clicks do not interfere with WSJT-X and my Flex 6700 blanker geets rid of the clicks very nicely on SSB. Now for 80m – I thought I would be using the GAP mainly for SSB as a NVIS so I selected the 3.7 capacitor option. I work QRO up to 1200W and again if I hear them they can hear me. Surprisingly with my remote tuner down on 3.573 I can work West Coast, South America and Europe running 500-600W. Gap says not to run more power on the band ends to limit voltage on the top capapcitor. I do notice that fewer stations respond to me on 80m WSJTX than the the higher bands. So it looks like my quick setup gamble has paid off… the GAP Titan is not as good as my multiband dipoles but it seems to get the job done for most things as long as you can run 500+ watts. I had some questions during installation and a call to GAP was always quickly answered by Rich, overall install was moderately easy even for one person. I plan to add a hexbeam next month and I will make some side by side comparisons during the next months.

N0YG Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2019 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic even after Tornado  Time owned: more than 12 months
We had a tornado come through in 2017 though the weather service called it STRAIGHT LINE WINDS of 90 mph. That's a story all by it self.I had my Titan guyed in 2 places because we do get a lot of wind. After the Straight Line Wind my Gap was Bent over and over, basically junk. My guy wires held on though, lol. I sent Richard pics and we both had a laugh. I bought a new Titan and never looked back. This is a very good product and Richard and the gang at Gap Antenna Products are very knowledgeable and have a NO BS ATTITUDE just the facts. All total I have been using Gap Antennas for 15-18 yrs with no problems ever. Keep Up The Good Work!!!

KC3JV Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2019 01:06 Send this review to a friend
Corrosion at Cu & Al Junction  Time owned: more than 12 months
Galvanic corrosion at junction between Copper and Aluminum. I have mentioned this to GAP and they haven't done a thing. There is a Kit on EBAY to replace all jumpers with aluminum of the correct length. My antenna is about 18 years old and still works. If you live in an area of ice inserting fiberglass rods in the 40 M counterpoise arms keeps them from getting a permanent droop.

Mark KC3JV

N1JAO Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2019 23:19 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just put this up 15 feet away from my aluminum house on a tilt-over mast cemented 36" down. Tunes great and really gets out on 40. I have it guyed in two places and it looks solid. I needed something for my restricted space and this antenna is working out perfectly. Richard at Gap took my several calls directly with patience and knowledge that answered any questions I had.

-Great product.
-Great company.
-Great customer service

KK4MS Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2018 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Titan Rejuvenation Project   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently rejuvenated a Titan DX that was retrieved from a silent key Ham. The antenna was sitting for about 8 years. It was under a tree that was growing into it, it was heavily oxidated and covered with tree sap. I took down it without pulling it completely apart in 3 sections with coax still inside. The ring terminals were corroded and connecting wires deep down past the connectors also. I replaced all connecting wires with new 10 gauge insulated wire, new ring terminals were soldered this time. I replaced the ring terminals at the yellow gap center section also. I washed the antenna down with concentrated lime juice and baking soda mix to restore the luster and shine. Two of the counterpoise insulated ends were missing, went to Lowes and purchased a $1.39 piece of scheduled 80 pvc 1\2 pipe and created 2 new insulated ends. I re-strung the counterpoise wire with 12 gauge solid core insulated wire and my swr on 40 meters is 1.5 from 7.100 to 7.300mhz. The main coax seemed to be in good shape accept the bad solder job on it, the pl-239 was replaced. It is guyed in 3 places only up 10 feet off the ground. After reading many posts about these antennas, I'm convinced that replacing and soldering the contacts will solve most of the bad results ham's are experiencing. I also dabbed each screw contact connection with heavy lithium clear grease.

KD5YVY Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2018 03:07 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased  Time owned: more than 12 months
An Elmer gave me this antenna before he went SK, the Gap Titan Dx has allowed me to log 100 countries an have over 2000 contacts logged mostly with the GAP. I really enjoy that fact I didn't have to run ground radials all over the place and the antenna is mounted with the tilt kit and the base is 8' from the ground. I do have this antenna supported with paracord rope after seeing if bend pretty bad in a few wind gust. Hope to use it for many more years.

AF4HL Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2017 23:47 Send this review to a friend
Impressive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My last antenna was a random wire up 60' which I loved until it came down, and my yard is such that I really can't put up a new one until February (when the leaves are gone). In the meantime, I thought I'd go back to a vertical. I choose the Titan DX mainly based on the reviews on this board. It's location is far from ideal - trees on 3 sides and near a metal building.

Some observations:

1. I had no problems at all following the directions.

2. I installed the antenna on a 10' pole and choose to use guys, seeing as I live in a hurricane zone. With Hurricane Irma, I had wind gusts over 65 mph and the antenna wasn't affected at all.

3. I wasn't expecting much at all on 80 meters, but was pleasantly surprized when I was able to break through a pileup and work DX 1,500 miles away running 100 watts.

4. It seems to perform very well on 40 meters. I was able to work New Zealand from the US East Coast, again running 100 watts.

5. I've gotten good signal reports on all bands. Also, the antenna doesn't seem to be any noisier than my wire antenna.

I've only had the antenna for a month, but so far I have to say that it's exceeded my expectations.

N3OW Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2017 03:40 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well over 100 countries on this antenna it fits my small back yard and allows me to enjoy the hobby and make some good dx contacts.
Mine has been up since 2002 and I have had no issues with it at all i would strongly recommend this antenna

W2JAZ Rating: 4/5 Apr 10, 2017 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Update to previous Post  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First let me say mea culpa regarding my earlier post about tuning problems. While 40 still isn't performing quite like it should, I think with further adjustments to the counterpoise it will. The problems with 20 and 17 were due to pilot error - I connected the 2 jumpers on those bands to the wrong place! Those bands resonate perfectly now! My fault, my mistake and mea culpa. I do think that for the cost the antenna the manual should be improved at least with a few photoss. Too much text without visual reinforcement and that's how I sorted out my problem - photos from a fellow ham who saw my QTH.com post. So please discount my previous post and consider this one. Be very very careful when you assemble it as it is very easy to make a mistake as I did. My rating may go up again once I've used it for a time, but I did want to erase my earlier comments.