Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-757GX MK1 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-757GX MK1
Yaesu FT-757GX MK1 Reviews: 58 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $899.99
Description: Compact HF transceiver with 0.5/30 MHz receiver.
More info: http://www.foxtango.org

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-757GX MK1.

W0BKR Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2019 00:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for the Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Everyone covered the good points already. Take care of them and they run forever. Great radio with lots of features without them being optional.

G4VRR Rating: 3/5 Mar 24, 2019 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Unreliable Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned this set from sometime in 1984 for about 3 years. At the time it was a "do it all" set for sensible money compared with a TS930s or an FT One. Even the TS430s was more costly. Fair play to the folks at Yaesu then. At the time, freshly licenced, everything was new to me so although I was hustled into buying it because a group deal had been negotiated dependent upon my cooperation, I nonetheless ran with it and loved it. Then it had to have a new photo-interrupter encoder under warranty. Then the same fault again fixed under warranty. Then there was an RF board fault repaired at cost out of warranty. Then it was history. Together with a less than ideal reliability record with an FT709 at about the same time, it kind of put me off Yaesu and complex gear in general, so I bought a TenTec Argonaut 915. Lovely!

N4YX Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2017 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Half a Dozen  Time owned: more than 12 months
That's how many of these rigs I've owned over the time I've been a ham. Like many similar rigs from this era all needed one or more of the plastic trimmer caps replaced with ceramics & then realigned. Really nice rig for it's time frame when you consider it had all the filters from the get-go. Nothing more to buy or add. Plus it was all modes! QRQ CW ops luved these rigs too with the high speed QSK.

W0BKR Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2016 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I know these little radios are a bit long in the tooth, but for the money, you get pretty much all that you need. You get:
1. Radio with FM Mode
2. CW Filter built in (although 600 hz)
3. PBT
4. Adequate receiver
5. General Coverage Receiver
6. WARC bands included

I can't find a lot of fault with the radio as I have to base a review on the technology that at that time, was available, and avoid trying to compare it with a current model being offered today.

For $300-400 you can't go too wrong. Built in dual vfo's allows for split, general coverage receive for when you want to SWL. Not much "bad" I can say about the radio.

K4YZ Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2014 19:28 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING MULTI-PURPOSE RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my FT757Mk1 in 1984. I bought that particular rig for three reasons. First was that I was on Active Duty in the Marines, and had to have a rig that could be packed into a small container and carry easily and quickly.

The second reason was that I am a CW guy, and the Mk1 had a built in keyer with a slide control on top of the rig for speed control.

The last reason was that I was very active in the Civil Air Patrol and Air Force MARS at the time, and the Mk1 only required the opening of the top lid and sliding a switch to get continuous HF coverage.

I'd still have that rig today if some scumbag thief hadn't stolen it from my car in 1986 while visiting my Father in Florida. I did follow it with an FT757Mk2 a couple years later and had it until just recently. It was a fantastic rig.

Steve Robeson, K4YZ
Winchester, TN

KC1CGR Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2014 06:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent old solid state HF rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio was purchase from a local ham in excellent condition and has been an impressive rig considering its age. Very sensitive receive and a full 100w output help making contacts a simple affair. The one directional CAT control does allow for TTL serial VFO tuning, but you can not read the current value from the rig via CAT. If you can find one for a good price, in working condition, I would easily recommend the purchase.

WA4RVB Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2012 13:09 Send this review to a friend
NICE RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
BOUGHT THIS RIG BACK IN 1984 NEW---WITH AUTO TUNER----BUILT LIKE A TANK--WOULD NOT SALE OR TRADE---I GUESS I LIKE OLD RADIO"S

KF7RNL Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2011 23:24 Send this review to a friend
Super Radio, great signal reports  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great little Radio and very senstitive. Great signal reports and it was only running at 25 watts and hit New Zeland. I just hope I can find another 757 just like her. No super thrills and 20 years old, no DSP and you have to just use some skill to pull in the weak ones. Will never get rid of it.

KE7DZS Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2010 09:15 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio new in 1983 and it stayed in its unopened box until September 2010 when I got my General. Time now to bring it out and hook it up. So far it works, does what it should do.
I like all the knobs and buttons, no menus on this rig hi hi.
I like that if the SWR is to high it shuts down and won't transmit.

I don't like the fwd/reverse power switch is on the back of the radio.
I don't like the loud fan.

Being new to HF this radio does what I need and expect it to do. After spending almost 28 years in its box I hope it will operate for 28 years on my bench.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2010 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Nice Solid Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these new in the 80's and used it in all kinds of abusive conditions, high heat, mobile, portable, dirt and fine sand, high humidity etc etc. I even accidentally dropped it from about three feet! It worked flawlessly and never let me down. I sold it about two years ago when I got into buying and selling ham gear. I have used just about every rig out there and I am convinced that for the price these rigs are selling for used they are an absolute bargain if you can find a clean one in good working condition. This rig was ahead of its time in performance. I recently acquired another one and will keep it forever. The receiver isn't quite as good as my K2, but I can still hear the same signals.