Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Cushcraft A270-10S Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft A270-10S
Cushcraft A270-10S Reviews: 39 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $100
Description: 10-ele Dual band Yagi (2m and 70cm)
with end-mounting and harness
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com/

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft A270-10S.

NO9E Rating: 3/5 May 23, 2018 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Quality control issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is a few years old. When matched separately, SWR on 70cm was low but > 1.7 on 2m caused by too short pipe for gamma match. With a longer pipe SWR on 2m becomes low. SWR is always worse with a harness.

Most likely my unit has a wrong harness and a wrong gamma piece for 2m. I can make it perfect by extending the pipe and using a duplexer instead of the harness.

N8FVJ Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2018 21:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna- Bargain  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, there is not a lot of dual band VHF/UHF yagi antennas for sale. Most are lower gain 3 foot boom with 3 elements.

The Cushcraft is a 6 foot long boom with 4 elements on each band. It is rated 10dB gain on both bands. I unpacked the antenna and all hardware was present. Assembly was easy and antenna construction/design is excellent.

I tuned the gamma match for 1.2 to 1 SWR on 2 meters (144.200mHz) and 1.1 to 1 SWR on 70cm (442.100mHz). So, no problems with a good SWR match.

The antenna is rated for 350 watts PEP. The antenna easily handles my 350 watt 2 meter amp & I run 50 watts on 70cm. Many antennas are only rated for 100-150 watts except log periodic types, but those antennas cost about $500+.

For $159 shipped the Cushcraft is a bargain.

VE1CZ Rating: 4/5 Jul 27, 2017 14:22 Send this review to a friend
A270-10S  Time owned: months
Well here is my spin on this antenna.I bought one late last year and mounted it on a 20 foot pipe and am using it in the horizontal position mostly for 2 meter ssb and cw.I never used the so called phasing harness which in my opinion is not a true phasing harness.The 2 meter side of it works great for what it is at 20 feet(HOA)issues so I needed a low profile antenna.SWR is acceptable for the bottom of the band where I play at,not so great at the higher repeater end.I am feeding it with 50 feet of LMR 400.So is there anyone else who believes that the so called phasing harness is in fact not really a phasing harness? I plan on putting it on a small tower soon and will be using 2 separate feed lines(LMR 400,sounds acceptable to me.The reason for a rating of a 4 is due to the mis labeling the feed line as a phasing harness,by the way they use 50 ohm rg58 as the phasing harness.

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2015 07:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product bought in 1995  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my A270-10S in early 1995 for $80 brand new. I mounted it on top my 52 foot tower, pointed towards a friend's repeater in Mississippi about 40 miles as the crow flies. I always had full scale on his VHF frequency. Straight out of the box settings per instructions - SWR @ 145.27 mhz was 5 watts/1.5 to 1 and 50 watts 2 to 1. UHF was 1 to 1 with 5 watts at 444.65 mhz. I fed the antenna with about 120 feet of RG8 coax. Figure there was loss in that distance. The antenna was on the tower from March of 1995 to the summer of 2010. When I took it down, it was in great shape; no significant corrosion, the parts in fine shape, the harness and connections were OK, and still had the same tuning settings. I put it in the attic for a year and finally took it down. I am going to remount it on a exterior mast, no rotor, for local UHF mainly. It has been a good product, I am not sure what has happened with it since Cushcraft was bought out. I also have the Cushcraft AR270 dual band vertical from the same time period. It has also been a great product.

KB5PQL Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2014 22:30 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna if you get the good version  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought two antennas and one works EXCELLENT and one works Just OK. The "Excellent" antenna has wonderful gain and works from 2m to MURS with FLAT SWR. On UHF, the antenna covers 70cm and GMRS with FLAT SWR! This is a great GMRS antenna too!
The "OK" antenna has good SWR on the ham bands only. It has a very sharp SWR pattern on 2m and 70cm and no GMRS coverage. The beam pattern is all over the place too. It's like some have reviewed here on eham where you can't tell the difference between the front or back. It appears like the two antennas have different holes drilled on the boom. Perhaps there was a version 1 and then a version 2? I hope cushcraft decided on version 2 because this antenna is great! I talked to a station 50 miles away while testing the antenna indoors on 2m SSB; the antenna was pointed straight up! Hope you get the "excellent" antenna for your setup.

KQ0J Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2014 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Great little beam for FM  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the good fortune to get one of these beams for no charge from another ham that had it up for a few years and then stored it away. Put it on the analyzer - it had great SWR across 2M and 70Cm. I mounted it just above the roof and it plays great - I can now access repeaters and have quality QSO's that I could not hear well on my omni that is up 5 feet higher. Sides have great rejection of 20+ db and the back has good rejection but not as much as the sides. The former owner had good success on 2M SSB mounted horizontally ( within limits of the gain of course). Gain on 440 is fantastic as well.

W4KVW Rating: 2/5 Mar 6, 2014 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Not so Good! {:>(  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I made the mistake of purchasing this antenna at the 2103 Hamvention in Dayton,Ohio.I can't wait to get the antenna off of the tower & put my 13B3 back where it belongs.This antenna talks equally poorly in all directions & hears everything no matter where it's pointed.The front to back ratio is poor at best.I think my tri-band vertical at 12 feet does just as well as this antenna which is at 53 ft.If you are looking for a real antenna for 2 meters & 440 MHz run as fast as possible away from this pathetic excuse for a dual band yagi. Go with an omni directional vertical antenna with some gain & get your money's worth.NEVER been so disappointed in an antenna in my life as this waste of money!The best thing about it is that it will be replaced & somebody else can be the owner other than me!It is also VERY narrow banded so don't expect your SWR reading to be great across the FM portion of the band either. {:>(

VE4EAR Rating: 4/5 Sep 23, 2013 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Works Well for 5 elements  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is a 5 element yagi and performs like one. Nothing magical here. I have had mine up at 60' in a horizontal configuration for 4 years and it has seen some very high winds, temperature extremes and plenty of snow and ice. So far it is rock solid.

Went together easily following the instructions supplied. However I did run into one snag. After assembly, the VSWR was very high on both bands. I started playing with the gamma matches and even using a network analyzer, I could not brink the match close to 50 ohms on either band.

I finally gave in and contacted Cushcraft. Exchanging emails and data led to the discovery that the phasing harness I was supplied with was incorrect. It was the correct length but the wrong cable had been used. I had been supply with what looked to be 50 ohm RG58. The proper cable is not 50 ohm and Cushcraft quickly shipped the proper harness. Once installed it quickly tuned on both bands. Perhaps thise that have had problems with matching had similar problems.

Cushcraft customer service was very responsive and quick. Providing factory design sketches aand ultimately the correct parts.

Best DX so far on terrestrial tropospheric paths is about 600km using 100W.

Ed
VE4EAR

K1MGY Rating: 4/5 Sep 22, 2013 15:17 Send this review to a friend
A solid antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Maybe there exist two versions of this antenna. I got a deal: take it down and it's yours. The one I inherited has been around a while; there is quite a bit of corrosion (cleaned nicely with Mother's metal polish and finished using clear Krylon). My version shows three 2M directors at the pointy end, after which there are 3 70cm directors followed by the 2M driven element, etc. In the CushCraft documentation for this antenna, there are two 2M directors, then an intervening 440 director, and then another 2M director, etc.

Having totally disassembled my antenna for cleaning, the manual and the actual drill pattern for element mounting on the boom were not consistent.

So I wonder if this has caused some issues with hams in my place.. and maybe this might explain the commenter who said he's getting awfully high vswr?

In the stock setup I am getting <= 1.2:1 vswr, and with a simple tweak it's even lower on both bands.

Here's the configuration of my beam: images.marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/hi/15/15147/cushcrafta27010s_unit1a.jpg

and here's what CushCraft's current configuration looks like: www.radioworld.co.uk/catalog/images/a27010x.jpg

KW7K Rating: 1/5 Mar 28, 2013 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this antenna now for almost a year. The SWR was and is very, very high. Not only high on 2 meters, but 440 as well. After taking it off the roof multiple times, I remedied the situation by shortening the boom by almost 1.5 inches. Although this did bring the SWR on 2 meters to spec, the 440 range remains exceptionally high. The tuning stubs are useless when the SWR is well out of the acceptable range. After calling Cushcraft, their only response was to adjust the tuning stub. I have owned other Cushcraft antennas, and was unpleasently surprised at how poor this antenna perfromed right out of the box. Disapointing at best.