Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | PAR Electronics SM-50 6M Stressed Moxon Help

Reviews Summary for PAR Electronics SM-50 6M Stressed Moxon
PAR Electronics SM-50 6M Stressed Moxon Reviews: 70 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $109. USD
Description: SM-50 Stressed Moxon 6M Antenna Occupies approximately 1/2 the footprint of traditional two element
yagis, yet has nearly identical electrical specifications. The radiator material selection results in a further reduction in size and weight over classical Moxons. Once the coupling unit is installed onto the main radiator using two #10-32 screws, assembling the rest of the antenna, including mast mounting and tuning, requires no tools. Ideal for mountain topping, roving and stealth operation. � Horizontal polarity � Forward Gain:
5.8 dBi � F/B Ratio: 17 dB � Design Z: 50. unbalanced V.S.W.R. BW: 1.5MHz between 1.5:1 points � 1kW power handling � 6061-T6 aluminum, fiberglass, genuine Flex Weave wire, stainless steel � Rectangular 84 x31", 3lbs
More info: http://parelectronics.com/stress_moxon.htm

You can write your own review of the PAR Electronics SM-50 6M Stressed Moxon.

WA6RSV Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2019 02:17 Send this review to a friend
Superb Engineering and On Air performance!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Arthur C. Clarke Wrote his first law which states "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

I have dealt with Dale before about a year ago when I first decided to dip my toes in 6 Meters by buying his 6 meter Omni angle. When I got it it looked so fragile that I thought that I've wasted my money..Boy was I wrong! That antenna rocked my 6 Meter world.

Yesterday I installed his SM-50 Stressed Moxon on an 89 dollar rotor held with PVC pipe masts 25 feet up. Holy Cow! the DX stations started coming in full force.

I've been an active Ham since 1976 and even though I fully understand the theory of how a Moxon works Today after about 120 qsos in two days on FT-8 I have to say. It's magic!

Don't even think about it. You won't regret it. 3 Lbs and super easy to assemble. Great Service by Dale too!
73!

KC3JV Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2019 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Constuction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well built and made! Went together in about 10 minutes. Great instructions. It was easy to adjust for 1.2 : 1 SWR in one try. following the instructions for testing.

All parts fit together smoothly with NO sloppy fits and holes were perfectly aligned.

PAR even took special care to make the copper Flexweave about as anti corrosion as possible with soldered joints covered with heatshrink tubing.

You can see why this company builds antennas for the military.
Mark KC3JV

WB0FTY Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2019 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a excellent antenna SM-50 Moxon that is directional and has gain to it. Assembly was easy and I had it together and tuned in 15 minutes. 1.1 to 1 where I operate. It is flat across the band. Along with the OA-50 I can work pretty much all signals on 6 m. For the money I don't think you can find better plus Dale is a gem to deal with.

KE8VU Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2019 19:00 Send this review to a friend
An excellent product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the SM-60. Emails asking about the product were promptly and courteously answered. The antenna itself is very well designed and built, top quality components. Assembly instructions are well written and easy to follow. Following the instructions, the initial tuning was so good that I didn't need to trim it. I wish I could include SWR graphs: 1.1:1 at 50.6 and 1.5 or less across the entire band - and within a few ohms of 50.

I highly recommend this antenna, as well as the support from Dale and his team.

W5BT Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2019 05:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent 6M antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After several emails with Dale, I purchased the Stressed Moxon. I had read a couple of reviews about how easy the antenna was to put together and tune. Without a doubt the easiest antenna to put together I've ever dealt with. Even after reading the reviews, I kept thinking something was wrong because it was way to easy and I don't have that type of luck. Turned out that tuning the Moxon was even easier. I don't think the tuning even took two minutes. Last year was the first time I had even tried 6M and really didn't have much luck with the vertical I was using. Wow what a difference this antenna has made. I haven't had the time to put the rotor on yet, but that really hasn't been a problem. I've been able to work 99% of what I've been able to hear. I went from working half a dozen states last year to 38 in the last week and a half; and I've been on the radio less then an hour. If your wanting to try 6M this is the perfect antenna. The price can't be beat either. Dale is extremely responsive to questions to boot.

KB1NO Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2019 05:24 Send this review to a friend
Tom Notch 6M Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Clever design that is very easy to assemble and tune up with close to 1:1 SWR at whatever frequency you choose in the 6m band. We used mine for field day with great performance results. It's so light and has such low wind resistance that you can use a basic mast and mounting scheme. We used the "armstrong" method of rotation, but for my home installation I use an inexpensive TV rotator. The front to back ratio is amazing. Dale is very responsive, answering questions both before and after purchase.

ON6AB Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2019 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Can be a smart solution  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although my positive remarks (review in 2013) were not really appreciated by Dale, here's another update and some results that might be interesting to some.
The Moxon is still doing great after 6 years.
I did extensive comparisons between the Moxon at 18m AGL reaching over the nearby trees and a 6 el DJ9BV yagi at 10m AGL below the tree tops.
It's a close call but the Moxon wins most of the time.
The moxon is so light it can be easily mounted on top of your antenna mast without any risk of overloading your tower.
In this set-up it works better than a lower "big" yagi without a free view over the horizon.
Also, pushing +500W, it's no problem to make transatlantic QSO's when conditions are favorable.

KR5J Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2018 21:40 Send this review to a friend
Super Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
The SM-50 is my current 6 meter antenna. Although it is mounted only 8 feet or so above the ground to keep the HOA happy, I have used it to make contacts with Scotland and the Canary Islands! Both were made using digital modes and the rig is an Icom 7300 which outputs 90 watts on 6 meters.I also use the antenna for meteor scatter contacts, the farthest was in western Michigan, a little over a 1000 miles from the QTH. I would recommend it for home or rover use.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2018 21:53 Send this review to a friend
Great for portable use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my antenna a few years ago to use while on vacation in northeast Wisconsin. We go to Washington Island which is right in the middle of grid EN65. Ive been bringing a radio with me for many years, but I wanted to try 6M from this fairly rare and unpopulated grid square. I put the Moxon on a 20 ft. push-up mast which I turn by hand. FT8 has brought wonderful new life to 6M and the Moxon works beautifully. It was easy to tune after assembly and I have gotten excellent signal reports from up there. Its also easy to dismantle for transporting too. With FT8 I look where the bulk of the signals are coming from then I turn the Mixon in that general direction and away I go. This is a great antenna that works well and is easy to use.

K4KDR Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2018 23:40 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased - smart buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm in Virginia & the SM-50 is my first dedicated 6m antenna. I had been using a MyAntennas 130' long wire which isn't advertised for 6m but tuned up fine and brought in a LOT of FT8 signals on 6m. At least I "thought" I was hearing a lot... to say the SM-50 makes a night/day difference would be an understatement. Looking at the other reviews, I an only echo all the same comments. My first-ever 6m SSB contact was halfway across the country and my first FT8 contact was to the Canary Islands! Tonight I had clear SSB contact with a guy working portable in Canada. The number and strength of the signals I'm receiving with the SM-50 is just ridiculous. Definitely a smart purchase!