Reviews Categories | Ham Radio education & exam prep materials | HamTestOnline Help

Reviews Summary for HamTestOnline
HamTestOnline Reviews: 673 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $24.95
Description:
  • Technician: $24.95
  • General: $29.95
  • Extra: $34.95

Web-based training for the ham radio written exams.

• Quick, easy way to learn.
  • Better than random practice tests.
  • Provides additional information.
  • Presents concepts in logical order.
  • Tracks your progress on each question.
  • Focuses on your weak areas with “intelligent repetition”
  • Better than books — question drill keeps you engaged.
  • Web-based system — study when you want, at your own pace.
  • 100% guaranteed — you pass the exam or get your money back.
  • Free trial includes 50 questions from each exam.
  • Product is in production.
    More info: http://www.hamtestonline.com/

You can write your own review of the HamTestOnline.

KE7PCB Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2017 09:07 Send this review to a friend
    Well worth the cost  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    I took and passed my General and my Extra exams yesterday morning. This was after using Ham Test Online, studying an average of 2 and a half hours a day for 14 days.

Ham Test Online was recommended to me by another member of our ARES group. After trying it, I too recommend it highly!

The computer program can tell, and then emphasizes those subjects that you are weak in, so that you don't waste time going over things that you know well. It works!

W7DBA Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2017 13:19 Send this review to a friend
    Passed my General in a month  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    I have wanted a Ham License since I was 5. Even went to an older hams house (knew he was a ham cuz he had those really wondrous BIG antennas at his place. But he didn't seem to like little kids and just told me I had to be 21 years old first. I left dejected and didn't do much more than dream about it for years. Years and Years later. The CB craze got me thinking about it again so I bought a book or two and tried to read but that didn't last long. The code was a problem for me also...then years later my boss tells me that the code was not a thing anymore and I worked for months and finally did get my Technician license. That was in 1999. I told myself I was going to get my General the next month and so I went and bought some more books. That didn’t turn out any better. Years later I run across an Internet add for HamTestOnline and stopped in to see what the site looked like. The format is clean and really intuitive. I spent 20 minutes going through the Study preview and I was hooked. I subscribed for the General class and a month later I passed my General test! I had assumed I'd miss a few questions on the test but I actually got 100%! I had been _well_ prepared! I have subscribed for my Extra class now and sometime after the holidays I'll be back to take that test!

KC7WJW Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2017 18:42 Send this review to a friend
    Great way to prepare for exams  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    I was a Technician class for years. Just to try out Ham Test Online I went through the Technician part. It was a good review anyway. It took me 20 hours to get to 100%. I think I missed one or two on my original Technician exam 20 years ago.
    Then I prepared for my General exam for a few weeks afterwards, about one hour per day. I passed the exam 100%.
    Then for several weeks after that I prepared similarly for the Extra. Guess what. I passed the Extra exam 100%.
    If your objective is to pass the exams, Ham Test Online it perfect for that. They do give some study material along the way besides just drilling the question pool. However, to really learn to be a HAM and master much of the subjects, you would need to study beyond this service (books, classes, experience, etc.).
    Nevertheless, Ham Test Online is 5x9.

KM6OBR Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2017 18:17 Send this review to a friend
    We Have A Winner !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    On my 64th birthday in late September 2017, I decided I wanted to re-kindle my long forbidden teenage interest in ham radio. [My folks in the late '60's hid my Hallicrafter vacuum tube receiver, so, they thought, I would not become draft bait for Vietnam. Such is the family fable today.]

On November 17, less then two months after my birthday, I passed the Extra exam with a perfect score. And I also passed Tech and General with perfect scores. I studied a total of 110 hours for all three tests.

Using Ham Test Online's adaptive learning was really enjoyable and fun.....No Kidding.

Here's the big secret of scoring well: I GROKKED the concepts, because HTO teaches you in small, easy to understand sections exactly what you need to know.

I never bought a book, or used any other study guide. EVERTHING you need is all there in one place on HTO.

John and Christina run HTO. Their emails and phone calls encouraged me when I got stuck or when I sudddenly realized that the Extra exam REALLY IS significantly more challenging then the Gereral exam in both depth and breadth.

Do you want to pass the exams? Purchase HTO. Period.

Ok, 'nuff said.

Thanks eHam for the bandwidth.

KN4FRW Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2017 07:57 Send this review to a friend
    Super Effective Learning Method  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
    I've long held an interest in shortwave listening and until a little over three months ago, knew as much about ham radio as the average Joe on the street. I decided it was time for a new challenge for this 58 year old mind and purchased the Technician's course. Within a month, I had earned my call sign with a perfect score. My original intent was to stop there, but I found the study material to be somewhat addicting and decided to purchase the General course. Six weeks later, I had earned my upgrade on the date I originally targeted for my Tech exam with a score of 97! I can't stop now. I just purchased the Extra course. I'm shooting for a test date about four months down the road, but who knows? I never imagined taking it this far, but it's crazy to stop now as easy as it's been. The guaranteed to pass claim is no bull if you can spare about 45 minutes to an hour a day. You can even break it up to fit your schedule, 15 minutes here, 10 minutes there.

I contacted Customer Support with a question a few days before my General exam and John, the Owner/Developer, not only personally answered my question, but went into my study history and offered suggestions on what to focus on and how to better utilize my study time. How do you top that?

Bottom line. I'm not sure I could have passed either exam within this time frame if I had been studying from a textbook. HamTestOnline is everything it claims to be and gets my highest recommendation.

KC0EKQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2017 21:40 Send this review to a friend
    PERFECT way to learn it all!  Time owned: more than 12 months
    I just realized I'd never reviewed HTO here, or essentially just praised them up and down for how excellent their program truly is.

Before I ever tested, since childhood, I was into all things radio from crystal sets to shortwave to CB to restoring vintage/antique radios, etc... but had never gotten my ticket, for a bazillion reasonable reasons (trust me :))!!

But when I decided to finally do it, I used Ham Test Online and let me tell you how perfect it was for me:

I studied an hour a night for three weeks, then didn't study for another two weeks, and then went back and reviewed for a week, then took numerous exams of all classes until I was confident enough to try the real deal.

A small local hamfest popped up nearby and was offering walk in testing, and I was ready.

I walked into the VE room at 8:30am, having never held a license of any class of amatuer... and walked out at 9:25am an EXTRA.

HamTestOnline. Damned straight.

KX4GV Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2017 12:49 Send this review to a friend
    KX4GV  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    I started studying from the published study guides, but found the Q&A study method of HamTestOnline to work much better for me. Passed the Technician and General exams on 9/23 and the Extra exam on 10/16. Would have taken much longer using only the books.

W3SWL Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2017 08:39 Send this review to a friend
    Got me over the hump  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
    I purchased the written guides (Gordo, ARRL) and used several of the free test review web sites, but I still felt like I was floundering as I studied for my extra upgrade. I started using HamTestOnline about 3 weeks prior to the exam and went into intense "study" mode for two weeks (about one hour per day) then spent the last few days taking practice exams. When I walked into the exam session I knew every question on the test. I passed with 49/50 and am sure the one I missed was a silly mistake.

Their process is very methodical and organized, and will show you exactly what you know and where you are weak as you progress through the study. I would highly recommend this site to anyone preparing for their exam.

KM4NKB Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2017 15:02 Send this review to a friend
    Greatest Learning Tool Ever!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
    This prep course was extremely helpful. It is a great program that helped me achieve the Extra Class License. This is coming from someone who struggles with a slight learning disability. It gave me the confidence I needed to persevere. I feel it is a great tool for anyone of all learning abilities. My wife was able to get her license with this program as she has no electrical background whatsoever.

KW4ZJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2017 17:49 Send this review to a friend
    Awesome practice site  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
    When I decided Amateur radio was for me, I looked around the internet for ways to practice. When I ran across HTO I knew I had found just what I was looking for. After studying hard for all three exams for around 4 months, I found a test site, walked in, told them I was going to test for all three exams. I was met with a look of curious surprise and a little amusement. Then I proceeded to wipe out all three exams in little over an hour. That included a few minutes for a bathroom break. I've been a superstar and a small legend in my Ham club since then :-)
    If you want to get into Amateur radio and want to do it the easy way HTO is the way to go. You don't have to do all three exams of course, but I loved the material and the way the site helps coach you along the way. It takes all the concepts presented on the test and breaks them down one at a time. It also keeps coming back to your weak points and shows you the material you need to know to fix your weak spots. I doubt there is a better way to prepare. Wish I had thought of this!