Reviews Categories | Ham Logging Software | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe
Ham Radio Deluxe Reviews: 471 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Control software for a variety of radios.

EHAM.NET REVIEW MANAGER'S NOTE: Product reviews contained here cover both previous Freeware versions of this product by Simon Brown HB9DRV and current paid license versions owned by HRD Software LLC. The Freeware version rights were sold to HRD in fall of 2011. New reviews should focus only on HRD's paid license versions.

More info: http://www.HamRadioDeluxe.com

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2019 09:42 Send this review to a friend
Great program and #1 Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ran HRD for years and years as a remote system, worked well! I paid for and downloaded the latest and had some questions for the folks at HRD.
They used Teamviewer to port into my computer and in minutes, I was back up and running. I am guilty of running an old laptop but we do recycle as hams, right? In any event, the entire system is back up again. Couldn't be happier with the support and program. de Frank KG9H

WA1GZY Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2019 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Simply the Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ham Radio Deluxe has no equal when it comes to Logging, Award Tracking, Satellite Tracking, Digital modes..including slow scan television.
For newbies, there are more features than one will need Ö it's a program that is user-friendly that you will come to appreciate as time goes on.
I use it for remote control of my HF transceiver and antenna beam headings. Just add the free "Teamviewer" software (available to download on the HRD website) and operate with your smartphone, tablet or remote PC.
The technical support for those computer-challenged colleagues is outstanding. Call the HRD toll-free support line and/or go online and make out a trouble-ticket. The support team can with your permission "remotely" diagnose and setup your HRD program should you encounter any difficulty. The HRD program will interface with virtually any of the popular transceivers (Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood etc. which have been sold over the past 25 years! Subscribers receive free updates as they are contstantly improving performance and adding features. You can download the program and "try before you buy" for up to 30 days.

WE1X Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2019 12:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using HRD for over 15 years. This includes the early free versions and the new software under the current owners. No doubt the "free" version produced and supported by Simon Brown was great. However, by the time Simon sold HRD to the current owners the software was long in the tooth and suffered from a number of issues. The software's extensive list of features and complexity contributed to these issues. Add to the mix changes in software tools, the addition of more and more radios requiring support and other ham radio programs interfacing with HRD the need for product update and support became more compelling. Hence, it's unsurprising that HRD is no longer free and optional annual support requires a fee. In the past 12 to 18 months I've seen the current owners expedite bug fixes, include feature updates and keep users informed of what's been done and what's coming down the pike.

I've compared HRD to several other programs for logging, rig control and digital modes. Yes, even the new versions are a bit quirky and I have issues from time-to-time, but overall I keep returning to HRD. I find rig control for the Icom 7610 and 7300 is excellent.

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2019 03:44 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
This program is dynamic and flexible, however, requires plenty of support.

There are so many various radios, which require zillions of combinations configuration and unique setups.

Who will support answering all these questions from the Ham operators?...Well of course HRD Team..And for a 100 dollars it is worth it.

About the program itself. This program contains most of the variations of digital modes, remote control for the rig, control of rotor, and logging program..

What more can you ask for!(Super support and great product)!

ZS1DX Rating: 4/5 Jul 19, 2019 08:59 Send this review to a friend
Thumbs up!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My bottom line: If you need a stable logging program to track your DXCC and other awards on a Windows platform, look no further. Buy!

I've purchased and used DX4WIN, RUMLog (free), MacLoggerDX, ACLog. I really like RUMLog, except that it does not have rotator control. It does have excellent LOTW/ClubLog integration, as well as comprehensive award tracking, if not the best.

MacLogger is colourful and pretty, but does not have enough focus on awards for my taste. E.g., How many LOTW confirmations do I have on 40m, and who are they? Easy with HRD, not so with MacLogger.

I reluctantly moved away from RUMLog in order to use EZNEC, TLW, Skimmer and other Windows ham software. (I run Win10 via Bootcamp on an iMac.)

HRD took a bit of experimentation and fiddling until I had the interface setup to my liking. LOTW uploads and downloads work well. ClubLog syncing could be better, like in RUMLog. Rotator control with my Green Heron RT-21 is somewhat flakey at times, which necessitates a restart of the rotator module and RT-21. Ugh.

HRD works great for my purposes. I don't use the digital-mode add-on, or rig control screen. Communication and software updates/fixes are regular. If my rotator worked flawlessly, and updates to Clublog were automatic, I would give HRD 5 stars.

Easily worth the price IMHO.

Disclaimer: I have not really tried hard to fix the rotator and Clublog issue. Could all be my fault :-)

GM4WCE Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2019 20:15 Send this review to a friend
Stable and comprehensive  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using HRD since 2010 with an FT950, a Flex 6300, an Elecraft KX3 and an Icom 7300. I particularly like the comprehensive tools, from the DX cluster band map to the third party serial port allowing connection to programs such as Catsync. Have logged over 4000 QSO's since I started using HRD. HRD is very stable and the updating process is smooth and trouble free. Strongly recommended.

NN4U Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2019 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Gold standard in integration and support  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ham Radio Deluxe, v6.4.0.907 was released in November, 2018. By coincidence, I purchased it a few weeks later. But before I say why, here are my biases: I wrote simple Ham Radio programs in the 1980s doing business as Ham Data Co., when we were all using paper logs and eyeing our Commodore 64 or Radio Shack TRS-80, thinking ďWhy arenít you helping?Ē And Iím new to todayís Amateur Radio, having just returned from a 30-year absence. So things that most of you are familiar with, like DX Clusters, PSK, external sound cards, software defined radio and the last few years of free logging software, were all new to me in October, 2018.

With that said, Iíll share that Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) software was one several companies I reached out to. One of them, who asks for consideration because they have other ďrealĒ jobs, never responded. Other excellent options either focus on a niche or donít offer the level of integration I want.

As you may know, HRD is a collection of five programs that share information, so the user doesnít have to. HRD integrates logging, rig control, satellite tracking, mastering anything digital with their DM-780 module, and rotator control. (And they support a long list of radios.) The level of HRD integration is unique. Some examples include: If my cursor is on a callsign and I press the QRZ.com radio button, the website pops-up with that callsign already located. Uploading to LoTW, which would otherwise be a process, is a single button push in HRD. Or, one can scan the list of DX clusters and see whether youíve worked them, need them on that band or received confirmation from that callsign or country. The awards section is worth a complimentary review of its own. And if that werenít enough, one can double click on that same DX cluster entry and, through integration, HRD will tune the rig to that frequency and mode, rotate the antenna and allow you to auto-populate several log fields if you make contact, including an entry on how best to QSL. Canít do that with Microsoft Office!

But the icing on the cake is the excellent support offered by the fulltime HRD team. My gold standards for support have been my Credit Union, our CPA, Norton Security and Amazon. Our CPA is the only one who comes close to the level of technical support offered by HRD, but she costs more and sheís paid on a subscription basis. Iíve been impressed by receiving email responses from HRD support tickets in less than 24 hours. And, given my steep learning curve, Iíve appreciated the option to pick up the phone and call HRDís helpdesk. But, today, I was blown away at HRDís offer to schedule a session for them to remotely log onto my computer and settle the details of synchronizing the external sound card with Windows, my USB device and the rig.
As you can tell, Iím an HRD fan, but theyíve earned it, the old fashioned way. 73, Chip, NN4U

AJ7G Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2018 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Great customer service and great mu;ti-function progra!m  Time owned: more than 12 months
Needed some help setting up the program. Called HRD and was immediately transferred to Kevin, KC7FPF, who subsequently went to work and solved the problem. Great service and thanks Kevin!

Randy AJ7G

G7OXK Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2018 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Fine multi-function program  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Many years ago I tried HRDL and did not find it of much use. However in January 2018 I decided to try it again and was so pleased with the program I paid for it once the free trial was over and for the past 10 months I have it running every time I operate. It interacts with my IC7300 and IC 71000 rigs.
One advantage of operating my IC7300 from the computer using Ham Radio De Luxe is no wear on the controls on the rig, so the rig stays looking like new (no messy fingers) so keeps its value better.
The latest updates with HRDL are excellent and the Logbook is the best I have found so far for general logging.
Working FT8 using the program from WSJT which runs through HRDL, if you have the logging set up on HRDL once you have ended a QSO on FT8 it will log the contact into HRDL's log and HRDL will check the call on QRZ.com and or other call data bases and fill in the operators name, QTH, distance. frequency, report, etc.It is fun watching the log appear with all the details filled in.
Also when logging a CW or phone contact just click on ADD in the logging program and it can instantly look up the call on QRZ and others, and also in your log book to see if and when when you last had QSO with that station.
I have not had to use their customer service as I have managed to get everything up and running myself.
I have also used HRDL's inbuilt data program Digital Master 780 (DM780) and tried it using Olivia and PSK modes both of which worked perfectly.
There are lots of other functions in HRDL that I have yet to use and try, but it is worth buying the program for the rig control and the excellent log book alone.
I have it installed on two computers one in the shack and also on a PC in my home as I sometimes like to make updates to the log book from the comfort of my desk indoors. You a can install HRDL on more than one PC if you want to at no extra cost.
I recommend this product.
John G7OXK

N2QLQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2018 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Produce..excellent customer service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started with the free version, and now am using the paid one. Not only is it full featured (there are some I dont use like rotator control), but the customer service is excellent. I had to replace my computer and was having problems with the logbook. It could not be resolved via email, so Ferry logged in with Teamviewer (another great product..you can operate remotely using it), and had me up and running again in 15 minutes. Well worth the $100.