Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | LNR Precision End-Fed Half-Wave Wire Antennas Help

Reviews Summary for LNR Precision End-Fed Half-Wave Wire Antennas
LNR Precision End-Fed Half-Wave Wire Antennas Reviews: 291 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $52 to $125 Depending on Band
Description: End-fed, half-wave wire antennas..
More info: http://www.LnRprecision.com

You can write your own review of the LNR Precision End-Fed Half-Wave Wire Antennas.

AE7UT Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2019 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic customer service and support   Time owned: more than 12 months
I had used my EF-10/20/40 for about two years when the nut on the choke broke off. I was sure it was from my rough handling of the antenna and called LNR to see how I could buy one to fix the antenna. Simply put I was told it shouldn't do that and a new one was shipped to me at no cost in less than a week.

This is my go-to antenna for SOTA and camping. I have compared this with a SOTA-Beam 2 band full size dipole and really could not tell a difference on receive or transmit.

Get one - you will not be disappointed.

N7AG Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2019 22:27 Send this review to a friend
As good as it gets!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had several of these antennas. If Dale makes it, it's as good as it gets. End fed are slightly down from a true dipole, what you get is convenient. And if Dale makes it, superb engineering a and construction.

W3PYF Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2019 15:35 Send this review to a friend
Amazing for a tiny antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
April 7-12, 2019, I operated VP5/W3PYF from Turks & Caicos with the LNR Trail antenna and my KX3 running off AC power at about 11-15 watts. The one end of the antenna was at 25-30 feet at the fed end, 20 feet on the far end. Orientation was roughly north/south.

Band conditions were AWFUL, with a major solar flare hitting the ionosphere on April 6. Hard to hear many signals on any band at any hour. Typical operating hours were 6-8AM before everyone in my group were up, 11-12 when they were at the beach, and 10-11 PM when everyone is going to bed,

Only CW was usable, Many could not understand my VP5/ prefix call. I didn’t hear a single SSB signal strong enough to be worth calling.

Neverthess, I made 50 contacts all over the USA, EU and South America. 40 CW was, as usual, amazing. I would scout for stations calling CQ and called them. I would guess my batting average was about .333.

Before I left the USA for VP5, , I struggled to understand how to tune this little antenna - a SWR antenna analyzer showed it to be too long. Rather than cut it, I started folding the wire back on itself, and eventually, got it about 1.1:1 at 7025 and 14040. It matched so well that I was able to cut out the terrific KX3 antenna tuner and KNOW just how well it was matching, using a Daiwa cross-needle SWR meter.

Using tthe X3 antenna tuner the antenna loaded nicely on 10 and 15 meters, but I never heard a signal there. Loaded on 10.1 MHz but again heard nothing there or on the other WARC bands.

My ordinary antennas at home are a double-dipole fed with RG8X, and a Butternut 6-band vertical with 3 tuned counterpoise radiators ~5 feet off the ground (to enable me to mow under them). The Butternut is clearly better for DX, but I’m not sure the double-dipole (40 meter and a folded-leg 80 meter dipole fed with a common cable) is better than the LNR. I’ve been jammed since returning from VP5, but I plan to run some more tests. If the KX3 works better on the LNR, I will buy an LNR Quad and replace the double-dipole.

K4WK Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2019 01:58 Send this review to a friend
An excellent portable antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna,the 20/40m version, is an excellent performer when pitched properly. I hang it as a sloper with the high end at 22' and low end 6-12' in various state parks in Florida. I find it works best when in an opening, not too closely treed. SWR low and with 50-80w receive 56/57 signal reports from upper Midwest, New England and further, like California and Washington. As a sloper it's easier to pitch than a dipole and a shorter transmission line is possible. Well made.

K1XGM Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2017 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Simple, safe, reliable..cont'd  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow-up on my 4/19/11 review of LNR Par antennas.

Changes in my operating conditions since 2011 include an upgrade to an IC-7600 xcvr as well as the addition of 3 more Par antennas (EF-40,15,12) to the EF-17 & 20 I've used since 2007.

Paper chase results continue to be WAC, WAS & DXCC awarded. DXCC count is now 192 phone.

My synopsis is that one can chase DX (WAC, WAS, etc.) operating barefoot with Par wire antennas with somewhat satisfying results. There is no comparison to a yagi but it is sure a simple operation.

73, Tom K1XGM

KD8ZM Rating: 3/5 Aug 30, 2017 16:53 Send this review to a friend
Not a happy camper so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This pertains to the 20-30-40 meter model. I bought this to use in our RV. Big mistake! The thing is outlandishly long at 73 feet, making it a non-starter for most campgrounds. As to performance, I've tried it as an inverted vee from a fiberglass mast, hanging it straight up suspended from a tall tree using a slingshot to get it up there, you name it. No contacts at all. At the same time I also used a homemade 20 meter ground mounted whip with 8 radials which beat the snot out of the End Fedz on 20m.
SWR is good across all bands, but no one seems to hear me on this antenna. I'm not sure what else to say, maybe I'll have more luck later?

K2MK Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2016 02:27 Send this review to a friend
Solid Construction and Good Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have my 20 meter antenna in a sloper configuration with one end in a tree about 10 feet high and the other end tied to a plastic tent spike. It's an orange spike from Home Depot that comes in two different lengths. I used an analyzer and trimmed a little bit at a time until the SWR was low across the entire 20 meter band. Construction seems quite good and the instructions are clear with color photos. The instructions have to be viewed on the internet. They are not included with the antenna.

Performance appears to be quite good. The antenna is quiet and the signals pop out nicely. In a few hours of DX contesting on CW running 100 watts from Florida I worked numerous European stations and one in Hawaii with little difficulty. As I expected I had better results calling stronger stations and I skipped over any DX that had numerous callers waiting.

I am very pleased and I recommend this antenna.

KJ4KKI Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2016 01:15 Send this review to a friend
Update to Previous Review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've already bragged on these outstanding antennas. I added a few perks to mine that I want to share.

I use my EFs with a 31 foot Jackite pole. A while back, I purchased a tailgating flagpole holder. You drive your tire over it. One can easily be made, however this one breaks down and goes into a custom bag. The Jackite pole and it are about the same size, so I had to fasten 2 pieces of PVC together with hose clamps. One goes over the flagpole holder and the other fits over my pole. A home brew version could easily be fitted to the antenna pole.

One of my EFs is the 10/20/40 model. You can use resonant wire with the matchbox for 10-60m. Rather than several sections of wire, I decided to use small gauge wire, some nylon backers from toy boxes (wires wrap around them behind the cardboard), and alligator clips for band jumpers. This affords me 17m, 15m, 12m (and 10m--if upper bands are good, why not include it and not have to change resonators?) in a short space. Depending on your preference, you could put as many bands as you want to.

I've seriously thought about getting other antennas, such as the Buddipoles, Buddisticks, Alpha EZMilitary, and MP1 antennas, but for simplicity and performance, the Par are hard to beat. Should location be a problem, I know those other antennas would do great. A Buddipole could fit on a deck or out over a balcony. But, given the room, Par EndFedz by LNR Precision are amazing. I use the 40m/20m antenna the most, but it's nice to have a variety of bands to choose from.

Hang them from a pole; throw a line over a tree limb, tie off to some support high off the ground...there are lots of variations. About two weeks prior to this review, I went to the family farm. Sitting at a table, using an 8 amp hour battery, an FT-857D and my 40m/20m EF, I had some really good QSOs, including one on the island of Crete, Greece.

I can say from experience that you definitely need to take the time and wind the wire around a kite string holder, piece of pipe, etc. Once that wire gets tangled up, you'll spend more time with it than you will on the air. Other than that, have fun and good DX!

KD8TSR Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2016 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Product and Customer Service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am involved in the MARS program and have been using an EMCOMM II antenna for work in MARS frequencies. Although it works well for most communications our evening 8:00 traffic net operates on a frequency that is below the 80M Ham band and the antenna is just not efficient enough for good reliable communications on our evening net.

I have previously purchased three LNR antennas (20, 40 and 80M) from LNR and saw Larry at the Dayton Hamvention and discussed if you could make a “special” version of their 80M antenna for use on the frequency of our evening state traffic net. Larry was kind enough to create an antenna and ship it out in a short period of time.

I just got the antenna on the air and got a good solid “good readable” contact from a station on our net from Illinois (I am in Ohio) with the comment “it was great to be able to copy you directly” and not have to ask for a relay when checking into the net!

I really appreciate LNR’s GREAT customer service and products, and their willingness to take time out of their busy schedule to help out with “special” antenna requests and support when requested. Larry is never too busy to promptly answer customers questions (even on the weekends). I highly recommend their great performing antennas as a good value for the price.

Glenn
KD8TSR

KG4LLQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2016 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own three EndFedz antennas from LnR Precision. I have a "Trail Friendly" unit, an "Extreme Trail Friendly" unit & a "20 meter Mono-bander".
They all work as advertised whether in a home QTH location or a portable location. I presently use my 20 meter Mono-bander at my home QTH as my only 20 meter antenna. I have never missed a contact with this antenna. If I can hear it; I can work it. And, I operate mostly QRP (10 watts down to 250 mW); all CW. My 20 meter Mono-bander is up only 25 feet at it's highest point but it does the job.
One cautionary note. Keep your coax feed line away from large metal objects. This antenna works by utilizing the "common mode current" affect rather than a counterpoise. Whether amateurs appreciate it or not: the coax feedline in any antenna set-up; dipole, vertical OCF dipole, etc. is part of the radiating element. With that said, the EndFedz antennas from LnR Precision are efficient radiators & I heartily recommend them all.