Reviews Categories | Microphones for ham radio | ICOM SM-20 microphone Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM SM-20 microphone
ICOM SM-20 microphone Reviews: 70 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $259
Description: Unidirectional, electret microphone w/up/down switches
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the ICOM SM-20 microphone.

KC9FSH Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2010 21:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this mic about two or three years ago to use on my IC-706mkiig. I always got excellent audio reports and a few stations couldn't believe that I was using a 706.
Well I just picked up a IC-756ProII and instantly hooked up the SM20 to it. Every station that I have worked commented on how great the audio sounded.

Overall I am very happy with the microphone however I wish that the mic was positioned a bit higher but that is a minor complaint.

I picked up my SM20 for $80 used.

W1JUS Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2009 14:53 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
The wonderful SM-20 works super on my fabulous IC -
7700 (tried the FTdx 9000 - didn't come close !) & the do it all IC- 7000 . Great audio reports with
both ! FYI on both rigs I set trans up as follows:
Wide - 100 - 2900
Mid - 200- 2900
Narrow - 300 - 2900
Why would one want to chop off the highs ?
73 Ray

N2SLO Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2009 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent - 7 Years Running  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally reviewed the SM-20 on October 19 2002... Didn't realize I made the purchase 7 years ago.. I use the microphone with a W2IHY Audio equalizer, and an ICOM 746 with a couple of different VHF amps.. The audio reports on 6M SSM are fantastic, and also 2M FM repeater and simplex. I paid $189 from HRO.. Never an issue, would buy again.. Why fool around? price is reasonable for audio performance....

WB3DYE Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2009 09:24 Send this review to a friend
GREAT MIKE/HIGH PRICED  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought the SM 20 about 5 years ago for my 706 mk2g. Paid about 150 new. Works great! I was thinking about buying a second for my 2 meter 440 rig when I got a look at the price! WOW! no second mike for me ;-(

W3UT Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2008 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Nice Mike  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine new about 5 years ago along with my Icom 746. Since then I've used the mike with a
756 pro and and several 756 pro2s. I've always received excellent audio reports with this microphone. It may seem a bit overpriced but most name brand accessories are. The SM-20 has performed well for me and looks nice on the desk. It does its job well and I'm happy with my purchase.

K1FEV Rating: 2/5 Jul 29, 2008 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Just died  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the SM-20 with my Pro III about 14 months ago. Worked great. Last week it just died. There are no replacement parts and to mic head won't come apart. Got a Heil PR-781.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2008 10:49 Send this review to a friend
GREAT MIKE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the SM-20 now as a backup mike to my HEIL PR-20 because I PREFER a boom microphone for hands free operation.The SM-20 is a GREAT sounding mike & I have used it on an ICOM 746,746 PRO,& my 756 PROII with GREAT audio reports.I can NOT tell ANY difference between the SM-20 & SM-8 audio on the above listed rigs.BOTH are GREAT desk mikes with a LOT of punch in the audio.A little high in price in my opinion but it's a GREAT sounding mike. }:>)

PA3HGT Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2008 11:41 Send this review to a friend
nice mike  Time owned: more than 12 months
This nice mike was connected to a 756,PROI,II and 775DSP with nice results.
Audio was very good.
To adjust the audio-level on the bottomside is quite a job because you got already more then enough audio when the trimpot is almost minimum with a good ALC !
I had this with 2 SM20's !I had open the trimpot for a millimeter so when i adjusted the SM20, i never touched it.
Up en down switches are not nice to play with,thet're feel like plastic and when you push the up or down they feel cheap.

HB9KL Rating: 3/5 Jun 13, 2008 05:29 Send this review to a friend
Looks good but not a good choice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a IC-7700 with the SM-20 Mic one month ago. Unfortunately I noticed that the mic is too sensitive and picks up too much environmental noise. A disadvantage is additionally the unidirectional pattern (fan noise).
I have replaced the SM-20 with a Heil PR-781, a professional quality dynamic mic which has a cardioid pattern.
I am now very satisfied and the audio reports are outstanding.

VK2FTNY Rating: 4/5 Apr 13, 2008 06:36 Send this review to a friend
timeless  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well what can you say about the sm20.Been around for ages and almost all icom buffs own one.They seem to work well and look good so i suppose thats part the reason they still sell well.I reckon for the money thou you can get a better mic both looking and performance.I still own my sm20 but now run a heil iCM boom mounted mike operated by a footswtch for not to many more dollars.But having said that if you want the matching piece to your icom setup you wont be disappointed in the sm20